i7 5820k + 2x gtx 1070's vs i7 6900k + 1x gtx 1070

VirusStorm
3 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

I will be doing a lot of cpu intensive 3d work and a lot of gaming.

I7 6900k and one 1070. 

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

SLI is cancer anyways, and since you will do cpu intensive WORK its more important than gaming

But will it make a big difference? Jumping from an i7 6850k to an i7 6900k? I'm not sure if its worth it. Unless there is a big difference in 2 cores. Plus, some of the rendering will be gpu intensive 

I think i'll just go with the 6850k with the 1070's in sli because my programs are both cpu and gpu intensive (my bad) thanks for your responses!

1 hour ago, VirusStorm said:

I think i'll just go with the 6850k with the 1070's in sli because my programs are both cpu and gpu intensive (my bad) thanks for your responses!

does randering application support sli ?

24 minutes ago, smokefest said:

GPU rendering does not care for SLI. It only cares if supported CUDA cards are present. You do not need to even have SLI present at all to use it for rendering.

1 hour ago, VirusStorm said:

It really depends on the programs and renderer you use. For me, more GPUs helps a lot more.

Also, if you use iray, there's no pascal support yet if you are using maya / 3DS Max.

Also consider two used 980 Tis. They are able to compute more, but run hotter / need more power.

2 hours ago, smokefest said:

Yes

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

GPU rendering does not care for SLI. It only cares if supported CUDA cards are present. You do not need to even have SLI present at all to use it for rendering.

It really depends on the programs and renderer you use. For me, more GPUs helps a lot more.

Also, if you use iray, there's no pascal support yet if you are using maya / 3DS Max.

Also consider two used 980 Tis. They are able to compute more, but run hotter / need more power.

I already have 1 1070 :P

I do 3D rendering, so I could use extra performance....but then again, I do 3D rendering, so I could use extra ram....and then I do 3D modelling and 3D sculpting and 3D painting, so I need both. I will be overclocking with my h100i. My goal is to get 4.5 ghz on either of the processors. 

The 6800k is infinitely better than the non existent 5920k.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'm assuming you can't get 32gb of RAM on the X99 system because of budget limitations?

Otherwise that's your best option.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The 6800k is infinitely better than the non existent 5920k.

I meant the 5820k :P sorry

4 minutes ago, JR8 said:

I'm assuming you can't get 32gb of RAM on the X99 system because of budget limitations?

Otherwise that's your best option.

Yeah, 24gb is the best I can do

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

I meant the 5820k :P sorry

I know I was being a smart ass, in all seriousness though 6800k isn't worth the extra money or sacrifice of RAM and 5820k will overclock better.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I know I was being a smart ass, in all seriousness though 6800k isn't worth the extra money or sacrifice of RAM and 5820k will overclock better.

I guess i'll go with that then. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

I guess i'll go with that then. Thanks!

The only way I'd recommend the 6800k is if you could get a sweet deal on it.

If you have access to a microcenter buy the processor from them, you can get the 5820k for $299

The only way I'd recommend the 6800k is if you could get a sweet deal on it.

If you have access to a microcenter buy the processor from them, you can get the 5820k for $299

But I live in canada :P

Just now, VirusStorm said:

But I live in canada :P

Yeah and for the prices you have to pay up there you may spend less getting a flight to the nearest microcenter.xD

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah and for the prices you have to pay up there you may spend less getting a flight to the nearest microcenter.xD

LOL

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

LOL

What area of Canada do you live in?

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

What area of Canada do you live in?

ontario

4 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

ontario

I didn't look this up because I think it's a good idea, in fact it would be a real hassle. I honestly just wanted to see what the price difference would be.

You could literally fly out of Ontario to Minnesota St. Paul Airport on Saturday January 21 round trip for $220. It's a 10 minute drive from the airport to Microcenter so even if the cab were a total of $50 you're total cost of getting the 5820k would still be less than buying it in Canada.

I didn't look this up because I think it's a good idea, in fact it would be a real hassle. I honestly just wanted to see what the price difference would be.

You could literally fly out of Ontario to Minnesota St. Paul Airport on Saturday January 21 round trip for $220. It's a 10 minute drive from the airport to Microcenter so even if the cab were a total of $50 you're total cost of getting the 5820k would still be less than buying it in Canada.

or I could pricematch here ;)

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

or I could pricematch here ;)

Yeah if you're willing to fight to the death, Best Buy gives me hell every time I try it. People like me are the sole reason they've changed their policy.

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah if you're willing to fight to the death, Best Buy gives me hell every time I try it. People like me are the sole reason they've changed their policy.

I'm probably going to NCIX or Canada Computers