Issue (help)

mathgray64

Hey all, I've had an issue for a while now and it's really bugging me. So I'm seeing if anyone can shed some light on this for me, and it would be a big help.

When I'm downloading my pc starts lagging frezzing and spacking out like mad, so I can't do anything so I have to not do anything and leave it to download. But before it never used to do it, so I could still game or watch a film or something, and let it download in the backgrond. So if anyone would be able to help, I'd appreciate it so much.

3 minutes ago, mathgray64 said:

Hey all, I've had an issue for a while now and it's really bugging me. So I'm seeing if anyone can shed some light on this for me, and it would be a big help.

When I'm downloading my pc starts lagging frezzing and spacking out like mad, so I can't do anything so I have to not do anything and leave it to download. But before it never used to do it, so I could still game or watch a film or something, and let it download in the backgrond. So if anyone would be able to help, I'd appreciate it so much.

happened to me sometimes even on a high end system - i usually just went on task manager and killed a bunch of stuff or restarted the computer

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

happened to me sometimes even on a high end system - i usually just went on task manager and killed a bunch of stuff or restarted the computer

I've been trying to rack my brain around it, but I've also done the same and it still dose it. I was just doing an update on steam, and shut shut down but it didn't help.

Could it possible have something to do with your hard drive? When you're downloading something, is your hard drive always at 100%? 

What kind of lag? Lag as in longer wait times in opening programs or like a jittery cursor? 

9 hours ago, Septimus46 said:

Could it possible have something to do with your hard drive? When you're downloading something, is your hard drive always at 100%? 

What kind of lag? Lag as in longer wait times in opening programs or like a jittery cursor? 

It's like a jittery. I was thinking it might be my hard drive, but when I download I download eveything to an external hard drive. I've always done it like that, and it's worked fine. I download anything to the external drive so I can kepp the hard drive clean, for when I need to do a format on it, so I don't lose anything.

So the problem only exists when downloading something to the external hard drive? 

Out of chance I happened to be looking around for an answer to one of my problems and happened to stumble upon this thread: 

The second post, from fminus1138 seems to be the same problem you're having. Is there any kind of correlation between the lagging and Modern Setup Host? 

What version of Windows are you running (specifically what build)? 

7 hours ago, Septimus46 said:

So the problem only exists when downloading something to the external hard drive? 

Out of chance I happened to be looking around for an answer to one of my problems and happened to stumble upon this thread: 

The second post, from fminus1138 seems to be the same problem you're having. Is there any kind of correlation between the lagging and Modern Setup Host? 

What version of Windows are you running (specifically what build)? 

No, it's just downloading in general. I dowanloaded a few things to my main hard drive, but it still did the same thing. I'm running windows 10 pro, and the build is a custom one.

14 hours ago, mathgray64 said:

No, it's just downloading in general. I dowanloaded a few things to my main hard drive, but it still did the same thing. I'm running windows 10 pro, and the build is a custom one.

Meant build as in software, but I'd assume its the latest. 

Next step to take would probably be looking in event viewer to see what kind of errors or warnings are popping up when you start downloading something and your system starts lagging. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 2:03 AM, Septimus46 said:

Meant build as in software, but I'd assume its the latest. 

Next step to take would probably be looking in event viewer to see what kind of errors or warnings are popping up when you start downloading something and your system starts lagging. 

Yeah sorry, miss read that.

But I found out what it was. Turns out, it was a really simple thing. It was my killer network app, that came with my motherboard, so I've uninstalled it and everything is back to normal again.