Maximus IX Hero vs Maximus IX Code vs Maximus IX Formula

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,

I have the Formula and can tell you it's fantastic.  The Code is essentially the same thing minus a few features to include the EK VRM waterblock.

If you are doing a custom loop, get the Formula and if not get the Code.  If money is a concern then the Hero is obvious.  It's pretty simple really.

Hey everyone! I really want to hop on the z270 board train so I'm gonna selling my gigabyte gaming 7 to my friend. This time I want to go the Asus route. So obviously I'm choosing between the 3 motherboards, and it's only hard for me because they have some very specific things that I want. For example, the Hero is the cheapest and has most of the things I want. The Code is the middle child of price, and has the cool armor and wifi. And finally, the Formula has the motherboard water block and the sick as heck pcie clip rgb lights. I can basically afford all of them. I do like cheaper things but I do also want a lot of features. Thanks in advance!

Get the one that matches your motherboard...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I have the Formula and can tell you it's fantastic.  The Code is essentially the same thing minus a few features to include the EK VRM waterblock.

If you are doing a custom loop, get the Formula and if not get the Code.  If money is a concern then the Hero is obvious.  It's pretty simple really.

1 minute ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

?

It's a joke. I'm saying you should get the one that you like. The features look nearly identical aside from @done12many2's points. Get the features that you want and get it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

It's a joke. I'm saying you should get the one that you like. The features look nearly identical aside from @done12many2's points. Get the features that you want and get it.

Oh...thanks!

Just now, Ultra_Man52 said:

Oh...thanks!

If you want my opinion, I'd go with the Hero or Code, though I wouldn't use the armor on the Code.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Oh...thanks!

There's a Micro Center in Baltimore so get on this ASAP.  :D

I bought mine the day they released and I think Micro Center mistakenly marked it down $30 because I paid less for it.  The 7700k didn't qualify for the combo discount, yet I still got $30 off.  That covered the gas to pick up the parts.  xD

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

The 7700k didn't qualify for the combo discount, yet I still got $30 off.  That covered the gas to pick up the parts.  xD

That's right! You drive a Hummer, so it took you a tankful to cross the street. /s

I'm surprised you left with just the mobo and CPU.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Alright, thank you for all the input and jokes, I have decided on the Code because I don't actually need a motherboard water block, because I don't overclock that hard.

• 1 month later...

I'm still having trouble figuring out how the code is worth 85 more dollars than the hero. The formula is the same as the code other than the ekg waterblock right? the code has wifi/bluetooth and the hero doesn't. the code also has more armor/lights on it? are there any other differences that I'm missing? because the obvious choice seems like the hero if you don't want wifi/bluetooth.

1 minute ago, Pidgey said:

I'm still having trouble figuring out how the code is worth 85 more dollars than the hero. The formula is the same as the code other than the ekg waterblock right? the code has wifi/bluetooth and the hero doesn't. the code also has more armor/lights on it? are there any other differences that I'm missing? because the obvious choice seems like the hero if you don't want wifi/bluetooth.

I've got a Formula and a Hero.  The Formula is in my daily rig and the Hero is on a test bench.  I can tell you from a hardware standpoint, the CPU retention mechanism on the Hero is garbage compared to that of the Code or Formula.  Clamping force almost seems too weak after using the higher end boards.  The more the CPU is clamped down by the retention systems, the less the water block or cooler have to clamp down to achieve the same overall clamping force.  This is not to say that it's not good enough on the Hero, because it is.  It's just not as good.

Wi-Fi only matters if you need it.  If you don't then no big deal.  If you do and are thinking about a Hero, you might as well get a Code as the price for a quality PCIe add-on solution rated at the same speeds will be about the same cost in the difference of the two boards if not more. 

There are a few more monitoring/fan headers on the Code/Formula, but again, those only matter if you need them.

Asus has already stated that overall CPU overclocking will be the same between all of the Maximus IX series so if you don't need the extra stuff, get a Hero.  BIOS is the same between them all.

Hope that helps.

49 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I've got a Formula and a Hero.  The Formula is in my daily rig and the Hero is on a test bench.  I can tell you from a hardware standpoint, the CPU retention mechanism on the Hero is garbage compared to that of the Code or Formula.  Clamping force almost seems too weak after using the higher end boards.  The more the CPU is clamped down by the retention systems, the less the water block or cooler have to clamp down to achieve the same overall clamping force.  This is not to say that it's not good enough on the Hero, because it is.  It's just not as good.

Wi-Fi only matters if you need it.  If you don't then no big deal.  If you do and are thinking about a Hero, you might as well get a Code as the price for a quality PCIe add-on solution rated at the same speeds will be about the same cost in the difference of the two boards if not more. 

There are a few more monitoring/fan headers on the Code/Formula, but again, those only matter if you need them.

Asus has already stated that overall CPU overclocking will be the same between all of the Maximus IX series so if you don't need the extra stuff, get a Hero.  BIOS is the same between them all.

Hope that helps.

So now I have more research to do lol thanks... I've never even looked into cpu retention mechanisms. I probably won't get the hero if its weak or garbage in any way compared to code. Could you explain more of what you mean though? Like are you referring to the brackets that hold the cpu/cooler and other components in place? I figured all three would have the same build quality, but just a few different features. and the water block isn't used for closed loop coolers such as h100 or kraken x62 right? thanks for the help

edit: ah nvm. you're talking about just the clamp on the cpu chip. gotcha, whoops. i don't see how it could be that much different between the 3 builds though, why would they change that

10 minutes ago, Pidgey said:

So now I have more research to do lol thanks... I've never even looked into cpu retention mechanisms. I probably won't get the hero if its weak or garbage in any way compared to code. Could you explain more of what you mean though? Like are you referring to the brackets that hold the cpu/cooler and other components in place? I figured all three would have the same build quality, but just a few different features. and the water block isn't used for closed loop coolers such as h100 or kraken x62 right? thanks for the help

edit: ah nvm. you're talking about just the clamp on the cpu chip. gotcha, whoops. i don't see how it could be that much different between the 3 builds though, why would they change that

They just use a cheaper arm and lower gauge on the metal portion of the assembly.  Like I said, it will have little effect on the overall setup, but I notice it every time I swap chips on the test bench.  

Additionally, closed loop coolers still have waterblocks.  They just tend to be a waterblock/pump combo so they give up some cooling mass in favor of convenience. 

I hope I didn't steer you away from the Hero as that was not my intention.  Just shooting it to you straight.  It's a great board.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

They just use a cheaper arm and lower gauge on the metal portion of the assembly.  Like I said, it will have little effect on the overall setup, but I notice it every time I swap chips on the test bench.  

Additionally, closed loop coolers still have waterblocks.  They just tend to be a waterblock/pump combo so they give up some cooling mass in favor of convenience. 

I hope I didn't steer you away from the Hero as that was not my intention.  Just shooting it to you straight.  It's a great board.

You steered me away at first saying it was garbage, but i think i misunderstood that you were just saying the code and formula were great rather than the hero was shit. But it actually makes sense why it would make a big difference for someone using it as a test bench like yourself, as opposed to someone who will use it once like me. 

About the waterblock though. would the ekg waterblock on the formula be advantageous for me in any way with the kraken x62? last question : ) thanks again

9 minutes ago, Pidgey said:

You steered me away at first saying it was garbage, but i think i misunderstood that you were just saying the code and formula were great rather than the hero was shit. But it actually makes sense why it would make a big difference for someone using it as a test bench like yourself, as opposed to someone who will use it once like me. 

Yeah, probably a poor choice of wording.  Sorry about that.

9 minutes ago, Pidgey said:

About the waterblock though. would the ekg waterblock on the formula be advantageous for me in any way with the kraken x62? last question : ) thanks again

Unfortunately, the EK (no g :D) waterblock is only for use with custom water loops.  If you get an all-in-one cooler like the Kraken or Corsair coolers, you'll have to use their attached waterblock as it houses the block and the pump.

22 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, probably a poor choice of wording.  Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, the EK (no g :D) waterblock is only for use with custom water loops.  If you get an all-in-one cooler like the Kraken or Corsair coolers, you'll have to use their attached waterblock as it houses the block and the pump.

Okay good, code or hero for me then. Might decide I'd like wifi and pick up the code, thanks for the clarification!

Hero is not garbage, and is very high quality.  Read the reviews of it out there.  I decided on it over the Code because I didn't need wifi or bluetooth and wouldn't use that cover.  

Why not use the cover? I've also been curious about its effectiveness

12 hours ago, Pidgey said:

Why not use the cover? I've also been curious about its effectiveness

Blocks heat from escaping.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2017 at 10:29 PM, done12many2 said:

Hi nizmoz44

Are you watercooling your IX Formula? If so, do you know if the cooling ports on an EKWB Supremacy/Evo would line up nicely with the cooling ports on the included VRM block? (I am looking for nice vertical lines in a rigid tube build and going from CPU block directly up (vertical) would be ideal. 

(I like the look of the armor, however I also like the idea of the Hero if fitted with the EKWB monoblock - simplicity of the tubing lines would be nice but there is no armour cover for the Hero:-/

On 3/5/2017 at 9:30 PM, nizmoz44 said:

Blocks heat from escaping.

I've been wondering about covers and their impact on PCB/component temps too. Really a big impact? The steel rear cover also?

58 minutes ago, somethingbrite said:

Hi nizmoz44

Are you watercooling your IX Formula? If so, do you know if the cooling ports on an EKWB Supremacy/Evo would line up nicely with the cooling ports on the included VRM block? (I am looking for nice vertical lines in a rigid tube build and going from CPU block directly up (vertical) would be ideal. 

(I like the look of the armor, however I also like the idea of the Hero if fitted with the EKWB monoblock - simplicity of the tubing lines would be nice but there is no armour cover for the Hero:-/

You quoted me, but addressed @nizmoz44?  

6 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You quoted me, but addressed @nizmoz44?  

Ooops - sorry. I did indeed. (my bad - I'll blame my phone or something.) 

Still interested in an answer if you are able though. (as you own both) Are you watercooling either of them? Do the ports on the VRM block on the Formula look like they would line up nicely with an EK CPU block? - there are really no good pics of watercooled builds using this board anywhere.