$64 Pentium G4560 is neck and neck against i5-2500K

cozz
Just now, ARikozuM said:

Cites: Skylines only uses 3 cores... Clock speed and IPC make the most difference for this game.

Does it, I recall LTT having a video regarding the i7 Hexacores, and them mentioning that Skylines saw a small, but consistent boost going from i7 quad to i7 hex.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Does it, I recall LTT having a video regarding the i7 Hexacores, and them mentioning that Skylines saw a small, but consistent boost going from i7 quad to i7 hex.

I'm looking for octa-core vs quad-core, but the video title was entirely different.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm looking for octa-core vs quad-core, but the video title was entirely different.

Oh well, unless someone can link to a definitive source stating Skylines can use up to x amount of cores, I'll take your word for it, for now.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Maybe they're an multi-chip module. I don't see why Intel would necessarily make an iGPU directly attached to a CPU when they could get more inventory by separating them.

Isn't everything on a single die? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Isn't everything on a single die? 

It's on a single CPU, but it could be separate. I don't work for Intel (nor would I) and thus will never know. if you've ever seen a detailed video on how the wafers are made via photo resist, mineral deposition, and etching, you'd see that it ain't easy to know exactly how they're made. 

Essentially the die (which is cut from the wafer) is placed on a substrate (which you handle when building a PC) and affixed into place via wizardry (i.e. they're attached to the pins or pads beneath the substrate) and then have the heat-spreader soldered or mated. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Since the forum has representatives from Western Digital, CableMod, etc., is there one for Intel or AMD?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 hours ago, cozz said:

Gaming at 720p and 1080p the Kaby Lakes-based pentium G4560 beats the Pentium G440, FX-6300 and A10-7890K - while just 5% slower than the more expenisve Corey i3-6100 and Core i5-2500K processors.

Capture.PNG

€20 Xeon E5640 from 7 years ago is still in the race, And i's a Quad core with Hyperthreading... :) No need in buying a Pentium!

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

51 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Cites: Skylines only uses 3 cores... Clock speed and IPC make the most difference for this game.

I'm torn.  To start with, I'll show you this, from this video:

1.PNG

And then just to confuse everyone I'll follow it up with this from the video here xD 

2.PNG

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm torn.  To start with, I'll show you this, from this video:

And then just to confuse everyone I'll follow it up with this from the video here xD 

I'm thoroughly confused, but we only get the frame-rate with the chart (one area I would like LTT benchmarks to improve) but it doesn't show nor do they explain the CPU usage in-depth as they move up except for the outlier. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm thoroughly confused, but we only get the frame-rate with the chart (one area I would like LTT benchmarks to improve) but it doesn't show nor do they explain the CPU usage in-depth as they move up except for the outlier. 

I think I can explain this (at least I hope so)

In the first video, he was comparing all the processors at stock speeds.  This is where we see the expected behaviour present itself, with the notion that games don't need more than 4 cores (yet).  The 6700k wins because, if you only use 4 of the cores on each chip shown, the 6700k is best due to its higher clock speeds.  No real surprise there.

In the second video, they took an 8 core HT chip, overclocked (but that doesn't matter), and then disabled cores and HT in different configurations to simulate other scenarios.  The key take away from this fact is that in each situation, close speed remained the same, and thus we exclusively see the effect of more or fewer cores, since IPC and frequency are taken out of the picture.  Now, I can't explain the 8 core result at all but there does seem to be a definite trend from 2 non-HT cores up to 6 HT cores, with performance improving each time.  This suggests that in fact cities skylines can benefit from more than 4 (real) cores, but a) this is potentially* at odds with the results from above, and b) it's possible it's just a statistical anomaly, and should be thrown out, much like the 8 core score above it.

* I say potentially since comparing a high clocked 4 HT chip with a slightly lower clocked 6 HT chip created a bit of a problem when done alone.  If the 4 HT chip wins, you don't know for sure that the game or program can't use more than 4 cores, since it's possible it's using 5 or 6, but that the extra clock speed was still enough to more than make up the difference.  I suspect in this case however that this is not the case.

In conclusion, I think what these results tell us, despite seeming to be absurd at first glance, is that CS really does only use about 3 or 4 cores, like almost every other game out there right now.  But if someone can find another video that stirs the pot some more, I'd love to see it :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I bought a 2500k that does 4.5 easily for 50bucks. I guess I win. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

There is a difference between running as intended, and running at all. GTA V runs on an i3, but it's a piss poor experience compared to an i5 or i7. Developers also acknowledge this, and that's why they are recommending Core i5's for a good experience with the games.

The new i3's crush plenty of older i5's and i7's.   Just as the newer i5's and i7's crush most newer i3's.  You can't group everything by their name.  Hyperthreading is sufficient to cover the workload of anything system that required an i

No i3 is going to run GTA V perfectly on high settings.  It's one of the most demanding games on the market.  If you don't mind running games at medium settings, it works just fine.  When you get an i3-6100, you know you aren't going to be playing everything at full settings.  It doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game.

My point is, don't try to say that you can't game well with an i3.  It just sounds snobby.  Before I upgraded, I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on an i3-4160 and a GTX 750 Ti at custom settings between medium and high.  There weren't any frame drops.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Flawed/sketchy benchmarks are flawed and sketchy.

Might as well have used minesweeper FPS numbers to draw the conclusion that the i3 is as good as the i7 Extreme edition.

Even IF it was true and wasn't skewed as hell, it's pretty sad that a low end chip released a few days ago only manages to match a mid-range chip released 6 years ago.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, yes I suppose you could look at this two ways - one the one hand, there's been a small enough improvement that these old chips are still perfectly capable.  On the flip side though, we now have i3s (and low end i3s at that) beating what were mid-high end i5s

That's nothing more than what should be the bare minimum in performance gains given the age of the Sandy Bridge platform.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

44 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Even IF it was true and wasn't skewed as hell, it's pretty sad that a low end chip released a few days ago only manages to match a mid-range chip released 6 years ago.

In case you hadn't noticed, Intel hasn't been focusing that much on performance in the last decade.  For the most part it's just been power consumption.  There also haven't been any frequency boosts now that we've hit the power wall.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 hours ago, cozz said:

ComputerBases's performance review on the new Pentium G4560($64USD) shows that it's total performance is neck and neck w/ the i5-2500K($230USD)

okay but what about the I7 2600 , I often see the 2500 but rarely the 2600 in these reviews , those 8 threads help a lot in newer games

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

16 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

okay but what about the I7 2600 , I often see the 2500 but rarely the 2600 in these reviews , those 8 threads help a lot in newer games

4 threads definitely, but I think 8 threads is seriously pushing it.

27 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

4 threads definitely, but I think 8 threads is seriously pushing it.

plz...

*logical cores.  Threads are the instructions that the CPU runs. And before someone says "everyone calls them that, even Linus" believe me... I know *sigh*

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

*logical cores.  Threads are the instructions that the CPU runs.

Unbenannt.PNG

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

Unbenannt.PNG

If you actually click it... :P 

1.PNG

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you actually click it... :P 

1.PNG

I know , its STILL called that by intel and EVERYONE else  , 4 cores 8 logis just does not ring that nicely

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

is there one for Intel

well I know someone :ph34r:

.... Patrick

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

I know , its STILL called that by intel and EVERYONE else  , 4 cores 8 logis just does not ring that nicely

Frankly I don't know why they write it like that on the product page, and I actually blame that for the proliferation of the incorrect use of that term.  If you do any digging, you'll see I'm right about the terminology, and everyone - both people who (I think) know better, and people who don't - just seem to keep calling logical cores threads out of habit (or perhaps something worse). 

give me 3 minutes with the 2500K and i can guarantee you it will run games much better than that 65$ pentium :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The new i3's crush plenty of older i5's and i7's.   Just as the newer i5's and i7's crush most newer i3's.  You can't group everything by their name.  Hyperthreading is sufficient to cover the workload of anything system that required an i

No i3 is going to run GTA V perfectly on high settings.  It's one of the most demanding games on the market.  If you don't mind running games at medium settings, it works just fine.  When you get an i3-6100, you know you aren't going to be playing everything at full settings.  It doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game.

My point is, don't try to say that you can't game well with an i3.  It just sounds snobby.  Before I upgraded, I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on an i3-4160 and a GTX 750 Ti at custom settings between medium and high.  There weren't any frame drops.

Except, as @MageTank pointed out, minimum frame rates are only provided for one game, and the actual testing methodology is unknown.

As multiple pointed out, the end source, Tweaktown, is very unreliable. These results should be taken with a mountain of salt.

Also, no i3 is going to run GTA V decently at medium settings. It's developers aren't going to waste their precious time to ensure the few hold outs have a perfect experience if it means continuing to foster the belief that these chips are still acceptable for modern gaming. GTA V isn't one of the most demanding games out there, it's just one that won't pander to a minority of the target consumers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.