Do you believe in a god?

Natsoup

Do you believe in a god?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a god?

• Yes
    • No

14 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

No, its not. We have literally no way of calculating that probabilty.

Also, it doesnt relate to the fermi paradox. The fermi paradox states that, if the universe is infinite, there statisically must be other life in the universe. That has absolutely nothing to do with the universe being in a simulation.

The Fermi paradox if I remember correctly deals with the idea that with the vast number of galaxies in existence, and the sheer size of them, intelligent life should exist elsewhere, and therefore begs the question "if they're out there, where are they?" 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

God is dead.

-Neitsche

God lives on in the soul.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Well, theres almost no historical dispute that jesus existed. Its simply his divine acts that are called into question.

5 hours ago, Ashiella said:

In history, Jesus was a real person, why they based a religion off him, it's understandable. To follow and learn their teachings, dedicate yourself, sure. But God has never existed in history. A simple impossibility to me.

5 hours ago, Natsoup said:

I'm the opposite - god is a possibility, but jesus... not for me

WhIle the consensus of scholarship is that there was a historical Jesus, a lot of work has been done in the last 10 years that gives reasons to doubt that consensus. Here's the first lecture I found that made a plausible argument to me of a non-historical Jesus:

And there's lots more lectures and debates about this freely on youtube. Also many books on the topic, many of which are mentioned in the link.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

First the LGBT community post that made me want to die more than ever

NOW THIS?

God whats next

"Are you a virgin" god whats wrong with me

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The Fermi paradox if I remember correctly deals with the idea that with the vast number of galaxies in existence, and the sheer size of them, intelligent life should exist elsewhere, and therefore begs the question "if they're out there, where are they?" 

This question is easy to answer.

There simply hasn't been enough time for a society to develop and figure out faster than light travel for us to have seen/met anybody else.

Light travels too slow for us to be able to detect signals from other cultures (yet). 

Life, as we know it, hasn't been around for the 13.8 billion years that the universe has been around. The first few star "cycles", meaning, the first sets of stars that existed, were made mostly light elements, hydrogen, helium, etc. Those start lived and died and produced some heavier elements. (Remember stars run on fusion, they fuse light elements into heavy elements.) The same thing happened again (and again), producing enough heavy elements for life to exist as we know it now. (During that time supernova produced enough of the even heavier elements (heavier than iron) to make life possible as well.) The most common stars have a life expectancy of ~ 5 billion years. Most people say we're on our 3rd to 4th star "cycle" as in now we mostly see 3rd and 4th generation stars. Stars made from the ashes of other stars essentially. 

What this means is that life could only really develop (as we know it) during this last star cycle, so there hasn't been enough TIME for societies across the universe to contact each other or find each other. 

I mean jeeze, Iron is an essential part of the electron transport chain, humans, as we know it, couldn't exist before this third generation of stars. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

[removed]

My comment was more about defining what the Fermi paradox is, versus trying to solve it. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My comment was more about defining what the Fermi paradox is, versus trying to solve it. 

True enough, but solving it isn't too difficult with the information we have available to us now.

27 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

True enough, but solving it isn't too difficult with the information we have available to us now.

Life formed almost instantly after the earth cooled and got its water.

this tells me life is extremely common in the universe if it forms so quickly on a cool planet with some water. There are probably of hundreds of thousands if not millions of eart like planets in our galaxy. 

Unless aliens are all as primitive as us or much more advanced and use a communication system we haven't created(tachyon faded system for example) and can't detect then there should be a lot of aliens in the universe.

it would only take one species to colonize the galaxy and it would only take a couple million years at a sub light speed of 1 percent, we can do 10 percent with the Orion drive so even less time than a couple million years.

most likely other parts of space aren't being rendered to as High of a resolution or civilizations are deleted from existence by the creators of the universe after they become too advanced and start using too many resources or start fucking with the laws of physics and ruining their experiment.

20 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Life formed almost instantly after the earth cooled and got its water.

this tells me life is extremely common in the universe if it forms so quickly on a cool planet with some water. There are probably of hundreds of thousands if not millions of eart like planets in our galaxy. 

Unless aliens are all as primitive as us or much more advanced and use a communication system we haven't created(tachyon faded system for example) and can't detect then there should be a lot of aliens in the universe.

it would only take one species to colonize the galaxy and it would only take a couple million years at a sub light speed of 1 percent, we can do 10 percent with the Orion drive so even less time than a couple million years.

most likely other parts of space aren't being rendered to as High of a resolution or civilizations are deleted from existence by the creators of the universe after they become too advanced and start using too many resources or start fucking with the laws of physics and ruining their experiment.

If instantly is a few hundred million years then yes you are correct

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

If instantly is a few hundred million years then yes you are correct

No, the formation of liquid water and life was within a couple million years. 

If that's true and were not mistaken it is pretty much instantaneous in geological terms.

10 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

No, the formation of liquid water 

Thats not very difficult given our circumstances, extremely rare, not difficult.

11 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

life was within a couple million years. 

Proper cells took hundreds of millions of years to form

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Thats not very difficult given our circumstances, extremely rare, not difficult.

Proper cells took hundreds of millions of years to form

Uh yeah that's part of my point, water formation on planets is fairely Common.

single cellared life formed almost immediately.

hundreds of thousands of other planets would have the same geological path as our earn with some volcanos erupting and meteors hitting.

so since single celled life formed almost immediately it's very common and then it would evolve to multi cellular life and so on and so on until an intelligent species is formed.

I don't believe (or have faith) that there is a good. I also don't judge people who believe there is a god either. Why do we categorize people into different groups is my question really. Say I believe the dark is scary, you might believe the dark isn't. I avoid the dark and you are fine walking in it. That belief changes how we act, sometimes the belief of god changes how people act too. 

It's no different from any kind of other belief. 

1 minute ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

hundreds of thousands of other planets would have the same geological path as our earn with some volcanos erupting and meteors hitting.

so since single celled life formed almost immediately it's very common and then it would evolve to multi cellular life and so on and so on until an intelligent species is formed.

You do know the chances of all these happening are near zero right. Its such a tiny chance that it happened. Honestly the structures are so, so complicated

Spoiler

AXIOM

On 1/18/2017 at 6:15 PM, Slick said:

Please know that if anyone starts a fight this thread will be nuked from orbit.

You have been warned. 

Then threads like this shouldn't be allowed? Just stating my opinion,  not trying to start anything... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

life

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

You do know the chances of all these happening are near zero right. Its such a tiny chance that it happened. Honestly the structures are so, so complicated

No.

there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of earth like planets in this galaxy alone and like I said life formed almost immediately after liquid water so that means the formation of life isn't rare. It would be even less rare if we found some life on Europa or Titan. 

4 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

It happened relatively fast but it was still at least 200 million years after the earliest water that life began to form during the Cryogenian Period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_evolutionary_history_of_life

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

On 1/23/2017 at 1:26 AM, MrDynamicMan said:

Some fucked up combination of both. Praying to god to make him a super nazi cyborg.

I actually consider Mormonism a beta version of Scientology. Allegedly, Elohim lives in a planet near the star Kolob where he lives with his Goddess wives. Through endless celestial sex, he got them all knocked up. I guess Joseph Smith had a vision of Star Trek

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

No, I don't believe in god

Yes i believe in a god, or gods.

That's all you have to say

Shipping sucks

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I actually consider Mormonism a beta version of Scientology. Allegedly, Elohim lives in a planet near the star Kolob where he lives with his Goddess wives. Through endless celestial sex, he got them all knocked up. I guess Joseph Smith had a vision of Star Trek

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

16 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It happened relatively fast but it was still at least 200 million years after the earliest water that life began to form during the Cryogenian Period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_evolutionary_history_of_life

I'm fairely sure life formed 3.8 5 billion years ago and water 3.85(so within a couple million years).

21 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I don't believe (or have faith) that there is a good. I also don't judge people who believe there is a god either. Why do we categorize people into different groups is my question really. Say I believe the dark is scary, you might believe the dark isn't. I avoid the dark and you are fine walking in it. That belief changes how we act, sometimes the belief of god changes how people act too. 

It's no different from any kind of other belief. 

Well there you're actually making a category mistake. "Does X exist" is in a different category than "how do you feel about X". The first is a yes or no question (if it's answerable at all), while the second is opinion.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

14 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

I'm fairely sure life formed 3.8 5 billion years ago and water 3.85(so within a couple million years).

The evidence says otherwise.

1 minute ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Not from what I've read.

Ideally, this would be the time to post your sources.