Do you believe in a god?

Natsoup

Do you believe in a god?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a god?

• Yes
    • No

I don't belive in Bible and everything that is in there.

I do hope there is something out there that can't be explained (life after death). Beacuse the idea of being nothing after death just scaresh the living shit out of me.

I don't judge anyone and his beleives and I'm open minded. But I can't say that I'm true beliver. I just hope there is something after death and not just end of your existance.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I don't belive in Bible and everything that is in there.

I do hope there is something out there that can't be explained (life after death). Beacuse the idea of being nothing after death just scaresh the living shit out of me.

I don't judge anyone and his beleives and I'm open minded. But I can't say that I'm true beliver. I just hope there is something after death and not just end of your existance.

I find it comforting. Knowing that eventually youll get to rest and dont spend eternity agaonizing on your missteps.

- snip-

13 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I've marked the verses where Jesus was speaking in red for the following.

John 3:1-15

3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

John 3:36

36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

John 14:6-7

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

Mark 9:43

43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

Matthew 25:46

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Revelation 20:15

15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8

8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Ultimately, I'm not the one who decides who gets into Heaven and who doesn't, that decision is God's decision. All I can do is spread the word of God in hopes that others will be saved from the fiery depths of Hell.
Jesus has said that you must believe to make it into Heaven, and that if you don't believe, you won't make it into Heaven.

Here comes the christian. Bet he was born into a christian family amirite.

ᴬᶫᶫ ᴴᵉᶦᶫ ᴬᴹᴰ

25 minutes ago, IOI-655321 said:

Here comes the christian. Bet he was born into a christian family amirite.

It is not like that.  It is the way he assumes quoting scripture is always the way to validate the belief.  He is moving away from the personal journey that he should have available to him and tries to force the convictions of his religious interpretation onto people (like myself) that won't buy it in any way.

He goes as far as to highlight "what Jesus said" in red as if to say that is relevant to some discussion with me.  I don't gives a rat's patooty what "jesus said".  He should be able to realize that.

Some Christian churches are pretty horrible and produce some really disconnected people, not saying he is one of them... just that the rhetoric is far removed from reality; a deep nonsensical spiral into the cold nothingness of being needlessly wrong.

Alas, aren't we all wrong from time to time?.. but that is another discussion.  :P

22 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Scientology or Mormonism? 

What? Neither.

more like a modern day deism with an explanation of where God(s) came from and what it is.

8 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

What? Neither.

more like a modern day deism with an explanation of where God(s) came from and what it is.

Gods came from human minds seeking to control other human minds. They exist only as a collective belief, in a similar way monetary value or idealogies do.

- snip-

2 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Gods came from human minds seeking to control other human minds. They exist only as a collective belief, in a similar way monetary value or idealogies do.

The probability of the universe being a computer simulation is higher than it not being. 

Also explains a few things as well and possibly explains others(fermi paradox for example).

14 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

The probability of the universe being a computer simulation is higher than it not being. 

Also explains a few things as well and possibly explains others(fermi paradox for example).

No, its not. We have literally no way of calculating that probabilty.

Also, it doesnt relate to the fermi paradox. The fermi paradox states that, if the universe is infinite, there statisically must be other life in the universe. That has absolutely nothing to do with the universe being in a simulation.

- snip-

29 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

No, its not. We have literally no way of calculating that probabilty.

Also, it doesnt relate to the fermi paradox. The fermi paradox states that, if the universe is infinite, there statisically must be other life in the universe. That has absolutely nothing to do with the universe being in a simulation.

Uh yes we can.

multiple universe simulations can run in a single real universe. Therefore it's more likely were in a simulated universe.

i can see you're slow.

let me explain.

if we're in a computer simulation then perhaps only this solar system is being rendered to any significant resolution and everything else isn't and therefore there is no other life.

it could also be possible that when a civilization gets too advance and uses too many resources or messes with the laws of physics somehow and contaminating the simulations results(could be just some complex physics simulation) and then when found out are deleted.

30 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Uh yes we can.

multiple universe simulations can run in a single real universe. Therefore it's more likely were in a simulated universe.

i can see you're slow.

let me explain.

if we're in a computer simulation then perhaps only this solar system is being rendered to any significant resolution and everything else isn't and therefore there is no other life.

it could also be possible that when a civilization gets too advance and uses too many resources or messes with the laws of physics somehow and contaminating the simulations results(could be just some complex physics simulation) and then when found out are deleted.

Yes, but wheres your evidence.

- snip-

3dfx is the one and only God.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So....Voodoo? 

Voodoo is love and voodoo is life. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On January 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Natsoup said:

I was just curious about how many people here are religious (or not). Thanks for your responses, guys.

WELL YA C, I'm on the standpoint of there may or may not be. I stare at history, look at its possibility, I look at science, and look at its impossibility. Maybe not God, but Jesus, yes.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

23 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I've marked the verses where Jesus was speaking in red for the following.

John 3:1-15

3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

John 3:36

36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

John 14:6-7

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

Mark 9:43

43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

Matthew 25:46

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Revelation 20:15

15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8

8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Ultimately, I'm not the one who decides who gets into Heaven and who doesn't, that decision is God's decision. All I can do is spread the word of God in hopes that others will be saved from the fiery depths of Hell.
Jesus has said that you must believe to make it into Heaven, and that if you don't believe, you won't make it into Heaven.

Seeing as we are quoting scripture as if it was fact :

You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT 

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5 NLT

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Deuteronomy 23:1 NRSV

Whosoever … hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookback, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken … He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

SOOO : 
Fuck Foreigners
Fuck People who have been tortured or kicked in the Nads
Fuck Disabled People
Fuck any child that has a rebellious streak 

I don't mean to be rude, honestly but you need to do better than just quote scripture because its easy to cherry pick the best quotes either side of the argument. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Until a high power is proven, I would rather not have religion limiting my life and my thinking. I would rather not spend my money and base my schedule around church.

I am open to the possibility of a high power, but it is irrational to think any religion understands who or what that high power is.

Many current religions are super cults who use the blind faith of their followers to gain money and power.

It's hard to reason with someone of faith, as faith is a fact less bubble that by definition can not be logically reasoned with.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

WELL YA C, I'm on the standpoint of there may or may not be. I stare at history, look at its possibility, I look at science, and look at its impossibility. Maybe not God, but Jesus, yes.

I'm the opposite - god is a possibility, but jesus... not for me

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

22 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

I'm the opposite - god is a possibility, but jesus... not for me

In history, Jesus was a real person, why they based a religion off him, it's understandable. To follow and learn their teachings, dedicate yourself, sure. But God has never existed in history. A simple impossibility to me.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

The argument that most religious people use against me when I send logic their way is

"The bible says so." Then, when I bring up that the bible says that the earth was created in 7 days their argument is "Well to god a day could be longer." Then I bring up "Well a day is defined as one sunrise and sunset in genesis, that's pretty clear." And their argument is "Well god can change the length of a day."

So basically, "If there is something that doesn't make sense then god did it and the bible says so." 

No evidence whatsoever, nothing backing it up, other than a book written by men and translated by men. Their argument is "essentially" "magic." Science proves this thing in the bible is impossible? "God did it, he can do anything."

If you're someone who believes in the bible completely, then explain Noah's ark to me? First off, ship building was not that advanced back then. It would have fallen apart. It was literally impossible for the people in those days to build a ship big enough to house that many animals. Secondly, do you know how breeding works? Do you know what inbreeding is? Do you know that it's literally impossible for 2 animals to repopulate even an area of the globe successfully? 

But wait? What's their argument "God made it possible." Yeah no. Bull crap. That's blind faith. 

I refuse to believe a book that was written simply to promote a new religion (aka propaganda). I refuse to believe in a religion that actively tried to (and succeeded ) stifle scientific advancement. I refuse to support a religion that hates another religion even though their "god" is part of that other religion. (Jesus is Jewish)

Not to mention that the stories in the bible are almost identical to many religious "texts" before it, albeit with names changed. Hell, comparing the bible with the quran is hilarious. Some stories are virtually identical. Yet people of these groups despise each other. 

If you ever take a religious course in college, you'll find out that all 3 of the monotheistic religions believe almost the exact same thing, but with names changed, yet people die over those name changes. People kill over those name changes. 

I firmly believe that religion was created because people were (and are) scared of dying. I refuse to believe in a book written by men with no evidence simply for fear of the unknown. 

People have brought up pascal's wager before. That's fine, but who are you wagering FOR? The christian god? The muslim god? Budda? 

As far as I know I can continue to believe in nothing until 10 seconds before my death, then repent and be sent to heaven, like the criminals on the crosses beside jesus. Why would you spend your whole life living by unnecessary rules when you can change your mind right before you die and be fine? 

EDIT: A few more points here. Religion does do one good thing. It teaches morals. But I don't think we need to believe in a deity to do that. 

One final argument is this: The bible says "God is fair and just" Psalms... somewhere. So if god is fair and just, then what about all the people who don't believe in that iteration of him. What about all of the GOOD Buddhist people, or the GOOD muslim people, or the people who have never been exposed to christianity. Are those people going to hell simply because they lived in a place without christianity? Going to hell simply because they picked the wrong iteration of god? I REFUSE to believe that an all knowing, all powerful creature would PUNISH GOOD people for that reason. If he would, then he is not fair nor just, and also not all-knowing. Because someone all knowing would know that it doesn't matter who or what you believe in, if you are a good person then you deserve to go to whatever "heaven" seems to be. 

Personally I believe in nothing. There is nothing after death. You die, you are forgotten in a few generations. It's a scary thought, one that most people don't want to come to grips with. They ask "Then what is the point in life?" I say "there is no point, we make of it what we can." The point of ALL life it to reproduce and expand. That's simple biology. Life does NOT need a reason. The scary thought that there IS no point is why I chose to become a scientist. I chose to do something that could be remembered and used for many generations to come. I'm making my mark on human history.

3 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

3dfx is the one and only God.

God is dead.

-Neitsche

- snip-

3 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Well, theres almost no historical dispute that jesus existed. Its simply his divine acts that are called into question.

- snip-

4 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Well, theres almost no historical dispute that jesus existed. Its simply his divine acts that are called into question.

He could've been just a really good leader type figure who had good ideas, uncommon of his time possibly. Sorta like Leonardo Devincis creativity and smarts and like hitlers leadership.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

He could've been just a really good leader type figure who had good ideas, uncommon of his time possibly. Sorta like Leonardo Devincis creativity and smarts and like hitlers leadership.

I wouldnt put him anywhere near leonardo davinci terms of creativity. He basically said "yeah, that religion you all know about? Im the new messiah. Worship me lol."

hitler leadership, I would agree with. He certainly inspired a lot of people. 

Oh and literally hitler

- snip-

12 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yes, but wheres your evidence.

This isn't about evidence but logic and probability.

i also see you ignored my Fermi paradox explanation.

also there is evidence in relation to how cosmic rays transverse through the universe.

they seem to be traveling on a sort of layered grid, something you'd see In a computer simulation.

38 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

This isn't about evidence but logic and probability.

i also see you ignored my Fermi paradox explanation.

also there is evidence in relation to how cosmic rays transverse through the universe.

they seem to be traveling on a sort of layered grid, something you'd see In a computer simulation.

its possible that we are simply one in an infinite chain of inception universes, but there is no proof of that. Simply because one universe fits inside another doesnt prove that thats what our universe is.

to be honest, I dint really care about your fermi paradox explenation. Its just heresay. 

Need a source on what "cosmic rays" are and a peer reviewed paper on how they seem to travel in gridlike structures.

- snip-