Do you believe in a god?

Natsoup

Do you believe in a god?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a god?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, gcubed said:

If seems that kinetic bombardment (aka., Rods from God) would be a more fitting reaction. :P

Either that or an agent that has the power of the gods, plus the sci-fi element:

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, kingkickolas said:

God didn't give a son, he loaned one, for about three days, after which he ascended into heaven to once again be a god.

Jesus was around the age of thirty when he began his ministry, and his ministry lasted around three years, after which he was crucified on the cross.
It's unclear as to what exactly Jesus was doing, and where he was during the three days in which his body was within the tomb, but after the three days, he had risen from the dead, then he was on earth for an additional 40 days after his resurrection, after which he ascended into Heaven.

So no, Jesus wasn't here for three days, he was here for over 33 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@PCn00b3000 if you don't mind me asking, why is it that you write 'God' as 'G-d'?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, Vitalius said:

?

In Galatians, Paul condemns jealousy in the same breath as idolatry (Galatians 5:19–20).

There's more than one type of jealousy, I found an explanation of it that does a fairly good job differentiating the two:

The marital relationship may be the best way to help us understand the difference between sinful jealousy and righteous jealousy. I can be jealous over my relationship with my wife in a wrong way or in a right way. For example, if I feel resentment or anger merely because I see her talking to another man, that would be self-centered possessiveness and unreasonable domination—in other words, sinful jealousy. It would stem from my own selfishness or insecurity rather than from my commitment to her and to what is right.

But, on the other hand, if I see some man actually trying to alienate my wife’s affections and seduce her, then I have reason to be righteously jealous. God gave her to me to be my wife. Her body is mine just as my body is hers. I have the exclusive right to enjoy her fully, and for someone else to assume that right would be a violation of God’s holy standards. I am zealous for the exclusiveness and purity of our marriage, and that is a righteous jealousy. Jehovah feels the same way about His relationship with His “wife.” There is no selfishness in His jealousy. It is the appropriate expression of His holiness.

Source: https://bible.org/seriespage/21-jealous-god

Life by the Spirit (Galations 5:13-26)
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Gal++5&version=NIV

In Galations, Paul is referring to sinful jealousy, not righteous jealousy.

We are God's creation, it isn't wrong for him to be righteously jealous.

Definition of Jealousy:

noun, plural jealousies for 4.
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.
2. mental uneasiness from suspicion or fear of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims.
3. vigilance in maintaining or guarding something.
4. a jealous feeling, disposition, state, or mood.

Source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/jealousy

The first definition is what would be considered as sinful jealousy, whereas the third definition is what would be considered as righteous jealousy.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Ah yes, but why worry about that at all if you don't have to? There is a way to be saved from this horrible fate, and it's for everyone.

Please understand that no one is here to change your mind about anything you believe right now. As a Messianic Jew, we're taught that our Lord is like a gentleman. He will never force Himself on you and yearns for us to love Him. If Yeshua wouldn't force ideology on His creation, why should I do this? I'm not! I'm planting a seed. Perhaps the seed will grow to something beautiful for each of you, or perhaps it will choke and wither. Spreading the good news is my only mission here :) Again, anyone who forces any sort of idea on you is wrong

Are you expecting us to believe that saying "This is the truth, and anyone who doesn't believe it will be burned and tortured forever" isn't forceful? It's, first of all, not an ethical thing to do, and on top of that it's manipulative and coercive to say, especially to children, who are the main victims of such doctrine.

Guilty by association, I'm afraid. It's unfair, but there's always a work-around with anything of this nature. If you were back in elementary school and get into trouble while you were hanging out with friends who were smoking. They're your friends, so you get into trouble too. Unfair, right? Sure is! What can you do to avoid the punishment afterward? Ask for forgiveness and be better than your friend. 

Glad to see you agree that it's not a fair or ethical doctrine. You shouldn't need to beg for forgiveness for something you haven't done. And further, the solution is certainly not to torture a scapegoat to death to alleviate your imagined sins.

1. Jealousy isn't a sin :P What we choose to do when acting on it is where the sin comes in.

2. Guilty by association. Sin crept into our lives through our ancestors and now we are slaves to our "flesh's" desires and habits. 

3. G-d gave us his blessed son Yeshua for about 32 1/2 years. From the book of Genesis, the prophecy of Yeshua was told to us in our ultimate hope of regaining a connection with our heavenly Father <3

4. So, G-d willingly taking our blame so that we can become clean of sin isn't loving? I think if my brother taking the blame for breaking my mom's favorite toaster oven for me is pretty loving. 

1. Glad to see someone else corrected the mistake there. Also, envy, practically synonymous with jealousy, is a deadly sin. So God is indeed not perfect and very guilty of his own sadistic laws.
  2. We've already covered how guilt by association is not an ethical doctrine. You cannot condemn a person for the sins of their ancestors. Especially if this "sin" is the horrible act of acquiring knowledge. You have to wonder what you would think if you heard the following equivalent story from your friend: "My boyfriend insisted that I be naked constantly and never leave his garden and whatever I do, to not educate myself. One day, someone, knowing that he would be punished, showed me a book, so I read it and realized that what my boyfriend was doing to me wasn't what I wanted. And so my boyfriend punishes me and condemns me and all my children and descendants for the rest of time to be unperishingly guilty and they cannot redeem themselves unless they devote their lives to him as their slaves, under penalty of infinite torture and punishment." Tell me God's not a horrible, sadistic maniac.
  3. You seem to have missed the valence of my point. God didn't give his son, he got his son back fit as a fiddle. Well, after torturing him a bit, you know, like all fathers do.
  4. While taking the blame for your brother might be a nice thing to do, it's not ethical. Let's consider a (modified) version of that principle popular among apologists. Let's say a man is found guilty of raping a woman. Great, well done! But instead of sentencing the rapist to prison, the judge sends his own son to prison, letting the rapist go free. This is not morality, stop teaching this as ethical behavior! Furthermore, even if I wanted to take the blame from you for breaking your mom's toaster, I can't take your responsibility away. I can't wipe your slate clean as if you had never done it. This is the elimination of personal responsibility, and the death of morality.

We all know we make mistakes. Striving for perfection is futile. We're all learning. Don't let this slip up bother you, I'm not here to change lives and prove everyone wrong. I am here to share what I know this far in my walk with G-d, and that's all I've been called to do. I came here for the same reason the OP initiated this thread: because he or she was curious. I slipped up, that's fine. I'm not denying that. I'm coming clean and realizing what I said wasn't completely true with that. Please don't condemn me for being human :P

Fun fact: Lucifer believes in G-d

Whether you love Him or not is where it really matters <3 Gg, good night

Ah there's that Christian humility we've been missing out on. "Oh don't mind little ol' me, I'm just on a personal mission from God!"

Also, condemning you for being human is exactly what God is planning. But the fact that you see how messed up that is means at least some progress has been made.

10 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Jesus was around the age of thirty when he began his ministry, and his ministry lasted around three years, after which he was crucified on the cross.
It's unclear as to what exactly Jesus was doing, and where he was during the three days in which his body was within the tomb, but after the three days, he had risen from the dead, then he was on earth for an additional 40 days after his resurrection, after which he ascended into Heaven.

So no, Jesus wasn't here for three days, he was here for over 33 years.

I don't consider Jesus to have been "gone" for the years he's said to have been on Earth. It's not as if God lost him during that time.

45 minutes ago, themctipers said:

agnostic

someone flame me, quick !

Coward!! (Just kidding, but only a little :P)

40 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Why do you use G-d? Could it be Ged? Gid? I like the sound of Gid, sounds fun to say.

Hey! Have you prayed to Gid today sir? Gid died for your sins, accept Gid into your heart! 

9 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

@PCn00b3000 if you don't mind me asking, why is it that you write 'God' as 'G-d'?

It's a Jewish thing, regarding the name of God being too holy and perfect to read or write. Check a box of matzo, it'll have the same thing.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

agnostic

someone flame me, quick !

Super hot fire

I spit that

- snip-

57 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Super hot fire

I spit that

5 min later

i drink that

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 hours ago, kingkickolas said:

It's a Jewish thing, regarding the name of God being too holy and perfect to read or write. Check a box of matzo, it'll have the same thing.

But the Jewish famously only refer to Yahweh as "God" for his very reason. That just means that you wouldn't write down the name Yahweh, God is already G-d for Yahweh.

-------

Current Rig

-------