Natsoup

Do you believe in a god?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a god?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Archeval said:

you would do well to remember the warning that is quoted below

Yeah, I'll do my best to keep it civil. it's late so I should probably call it a night before I do something retarded.

- snip-

1 minute ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Guilty by association, I'm afraid. It's unfair, but there's always a work-around with anything of this nature. If you were back in elementary school and get into trouble while you were hanging out with friends who were smoking. They're your friends, so you get into trouble too. Unfair, right? Sure is! What can you do to avoid the punishment afterward? Ask for forgiveness and be better than your friend. 

There's a colossal difference between someone you choose to hang out with and a distant ancestor from 6000 years ago.

It would be like being punished because your great great grandpa smoked a cigar in 1870. How should I be responsible?

- snip-

Oh believe me, god is real and they are extremely upset. I cannot prove which religion is the right one, probably none of them. But god is certainly real.

On 1/18/2017 at 10:20 PM, Sky Daddy said:

Step 1: verify that we are actually living in a 'real' world

Presuming the world is a hologram/simulation, the coder is God.

.... presumably.

3 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

There's a colossal difference between someone you choose to hang out with and a distant ancestor from 6000 years ago.

It would be like being punished because your great great grandpa smoked a cigar in 1870. How should I be responsible?

I know it sounds stupid, but the idea is that there is some "thing" we don't fully perceive as humans that God would. And if He is, then it's logical He would be able to do that if that thing also existed. 

That thing being a soul (or something like it).

Like, ok, presuming a God exists, and souls along with Him, how do souls work?

Does it have some tie to genetics? Are they similar or are they not? Is mine just an amalgamation of pieces of my parents or are they unrelated entirely?

Assuming they're related (i.e. your parents' souls have something to do with your own's creation), it makes sense that the punishment should be passed down generations because the sin is tied to the soul.

I don't know. Souls can't be empirically studied (at this time) if they do exist.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

10 minutes ago, kingkickolas said:

You for get that we did not eat from the tree and we did not bring sin and damnation into the world. Someone else did. How is it good to punish us for something someone else did?

7 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

isn't there a whole thing about the sins of the father not transferring to the son (child)?

1 minute ago, kingkickolas said:

So much to say here, I'll have to do it in bullet points.

1. God is jealous and yet perfect and without sin? (Come on, you don't need my help with this one.)
  2. You for get that we did not eat from the tree and we did not bring sin and damnation into the world. Someone else did. How is it good to punish us for something someone else did?
  3. God didn't give a son, he loaned one, for about three days, after which he ascended into heaven to once again be a god.
  4. I don't think that torturing someone to relieve someone else of the sin you damned them with is loving. What that sounds like is insanity.

1. Jealousy isn't a sin :P What we choose to do when acting on it is where the sin comes in.

2. Guilty by association. Sin crept into our lives through our ancestors and now we are slaves to our "flesh's" desires and habits. 

3. G-d gave us his blessed son Yeshua for about 32 1/2 years. From the book of Genesis, the prophecy of Yeshua was told to us in our ultimate hope of regaining a connection with our heavenly Father <3

4. So, G-d willingly taking our blame so that we can become clean of sin isn't loving? I think if my brother taking the blame for breaking my mom's favorite toaster oven for me is pretty loving. 

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

6 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

1. Jealousy isn't a sin :P What we choose to do when acting on it is where the sin comes in.

?

In Galatians, Paul condemns jealousy in the same breath as idolatry (Galatians 5:19–20).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hmmm I would have thought the numbers on this forum would have been leaning a lot more to the no god side

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

4 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

That bottom line made me laugh really hard :D

"The sins of the father plague the son" is the basic concept that answers that idea. Sure, there are variants with that, but these usually aren't a part of the example. If your dad drinks, you'll probably drink as well. If your dad can't keep a job, you'll most likely be the same way with work.. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. All these are theoretical sayings, but all have some truth behind it.

We all have feelings of fear, of lust, of envy and others on a daily basis almost. Where do you think these came from? What can they manifest into if we act on these feelings? They came with humanity's first act of sin.... Whoops lol When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, we realized what we had done was wrong and that it would make G-d angry. We hid, ran and covered our (so naturally) naked bodies. We knew at that point what was right and what was wrong. This was when emotions like the ones above were realized. 

We're involved because our fathers were, and their fathers and so on. 

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

4 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

?

In Galatians, Paul condemns jealousy in the same breath as idolatry (Galatians 5:19–20).

... Got me lol My bad for the slip up, and thank you for the correction. 

The point still stands, however.

Keep the conversation going! This is good stuff :) I'm heading to bed now, thanks so much for the great conversation

Im buddhist, so technically i don't believe in a god. But still religious never the less. With Buddhism it is a religion of both selfish and selfless desires, First comes you. and then you can help others. 

My Rig: | CPU: Core i7-8086k @ 4.9 GHz | Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z370 | CPU Cooler: (some coolermaster one that probably should have been retired several years ago) | Case: Corsair 570x | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

2 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

... Got me lol My bad for the slip up, and thank you for the correction. 

The point still stands, however.

No it doesn't. You say that God is jealous, but then say that jealousy isn't a sin, then admit that it is. Fuck man. I believe in God, but you just give me a headache. That's just stupid.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

No it doesn't. You say that God is jealous, but then say that jealousy isn't a sin, then admit that it is. Fuck man. I believe in God, but you just give me a headache. That's just stupid.

We all know we make mistakes. Striving for perfection is futile. We're all learning. Don't let this slip up bother you, I'm not here to change lives and prove everyone wrong. I am here to share what I know this far in my walk with G-d, and that's all I've been called to do. I came here for the same reason the OP initiated this thread: because he or she was curious. I slipped up, that's fine. I'm not denying that. I'm coming clean and realizing what I said wasn't completely true with that. Please don't condemn me for being human :P

Fun fact: Lucifer believes in G-d

Whether you love Him or not is where it really matters <3 Gg, good night

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Come on, you can articulate that in a way that in a way that doesn't come off so aggressive. It's not an easy subject to debate

On 1/22/2017 at 11:16 PM, MrDynamicMan said:

Gods came from human minds seeking to control other human minds. They exist only as a collective belief, in a similar way monetary value or idealogies do.

Naw, I think that gods came from humans wanting to fill in the gaps of what they don't understand in the world, but then smarter people came along and exploited that.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

12 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Frankly? It doesn't matter whether or not you love him. I love myself. I love my family. I love humans in general. I love all of you, if only as a people rather than on an individual basis. I love God. But it really doesn't matter whether or not somebody loves God. Just try to be good people, follow if the footsteps of those who came before you.

10 minutes ago, RainColt said:

Come on, you can articulate that in a way that in a way that doesn't come off so aggressive. It's not an easy subject to debate

Sorry, bit tired. That did some off as more aggressive than I was aiming for.

30 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

""The sins of the father plague the son" is the basic concept that answers that idea. Sure, there are variants with that, but these usually aren't a part of the example. If your dad drinks, you'll probably drink as well. If your dad can't keep a job, you'll most likely be the same way with work.. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. All these are theoretical sayings, but all have some truth behind it."

So what if these idioms can be true they can also be false, your alcoholic dad can also be what you aspire to never be.

"We all have feelings of fear, of lust, of envy and others on a daily basis almost.Where do you think these came from? What can they manifest into if we act on these feelings?"

Fear can be a good thing can keep you alive, lust compels us to procreate keeping our species alive, envy compels us to get what we want, these are all perfectly fine, sure you could go about these in the wrong way but they aren't inherently bad.

1 hour ago, Tr3vor said:

Naw, I think that gods came from humans wanting to fill in the gaps of what they don't understand in the world, but then smarter people came along and exploited that.

Funny thing regarding that.

Some studies hypothesize that the concept of God comes from the human mind developing an inner monologue. At some point in human development, instead of having an inner monologue, it sounded like someone was speaking to you. This was the left and right sides of the brain communicating, apparently. 

Gives me a whole new perspective on people with schizophrenia who hear "voices". 

I don't believe that's the case, but it makes logical sense in a way.

And considering some people just don't have an inner monologue, and purely think in terms of emotions and concepts (with no voice to vocalize them in their head), that too is pretty neat.

† Christian Member †

agnostic

someone flame me, quick !

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

And considering some people just don't have an inner monologue, and purely think in terms of emotions and concepts (with no voice to vocalize them in their head), that too is pretty neat.

I'm pretty sure that thinking in emotions and visualizations is the default way we think if we don't have a word for a certain thing or just don't have a structured language in the first place. sorta like what you have a word that's on the tip of your tongue but you don't know how to verbalize it.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Why do you use G-d? Could it be Ged? Gid? I like the sound of Gid, sounds fun to say.

Hey! Have you prayed to Gid today sir? Gid died for your sins, accept Gid into your heart! 

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, Tr3vor said:

I'm pretty sure that thinking in emotions and visualizations is the default way we think if we don't have a word for a certain thing or just don't have a structured language in the first place. sorta like what you have a word that's on the tip of your tongue but you don't know how to verbalize it.

Eh, I default to words. If I don't have words, I have nothing usually. I have to intentionally invoke visualizations and concepts (those are two separate types of imagination btw). And emotions? I can't think with those, like at all. I barely feel them.

It's nice in a way, since I can actively shut down emotions I am not interested in feeling, but that's very much a double edged sword. It doesn't extend to all my emotions either. Just the higher, more complex, ones.

† Christian Member †

On 1/18/2017 at 6:15 PM, Slick said:

Please know that if anyone starts a fight this thread will be nuked from orbit.

You have been warned. 

If seems that kinetic bombardment (aka., Rods from God) would be a more fitting reaction. :P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."