Do you believe in a god?

Natsoup

Do you believe in a god?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a god?

• Yes
    • No

I was just curious about how many people here are religious (or not). Thanks for your responses, guys.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

8 minutes ago, Slick said:

Please know that if anyone starts a fight this thread will be nuked from orbit.

You have been warned. 

It's not for fighting. I'm personally investigating the beliefs of different corners of the net,  such as here, tumblr, ifunny, deviantart, and a few subreddits. 

Thanks for the warning, though. 

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Naw, I don't, I am a man of logic, so if someone proved that thier was a god, then I would "believe" , until then I hold by, that religion was created to falsify hope in people. 

13 minutes ago, Slick said:

You have been warned. 

Wow, Luke. That triggers me that you would just ASSUME someone would start a fight, you.... bearded..man.. you... ....

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Wow, Luke. That triggers me that you would just ASSUME someone would start a fight, you.... bearded..man.. you... ....

You're just jealous. ;)

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

Naw, I don't. I am a man of logic. So if someone proved that there was a God, then I would "believe". Until then I hold by, that religion was created to falsify hope in people. 

Checkmate.

But in seriousness, I am curious why Atheists tend to go for the "I am a person of logic" retort, as if nobody else who is into religion can't think logically. Or do you even mean it that way?

Here's my take on religion. I'm an agnostic atheist. But I don't hate religion unlike a lot of atheists out there. In fact, I love studying about religions and how they evolved and the process of turning natural events and celestial bodies into deities (anthropomorphization) to making human beings into gods (apotheosis). I would love to visit some of this historical religious sites like India, Greece, Israel, etc. While atheists like myself would consider all of these religions as myths, I don't dismiss them. In fact, learning religions can show us a deeper understanding of evolution and cultural heritage and the borrowing of ideas and doctrines through trade, conquest or travel in general. For example, I came across this fascinating archeological discovery in Turkey called "Gobeklie Tepé" which was said to be the first temple in the world which dates to around 12,000 BCE. This challenges the mainstream notion of scholars that religious worship started at 5,000 BCE where the earliest extant of writing started. There's so many fascinating books about this subject matter.

The thing is, I just find that the proffered evidences for the existence of these deities are scanty and problematic: historically, philosophically, and morally. Nonetheless, I have the utmost respect for an individual to believe or disbelieve anything as long as it doesn't spill deleteriously towards others which is not the case today. That's the time I tend to rant alot because belief and disbelief should not be coerced. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My way of thinking is that whether or not there is one (I personally believe there is) it is better to be safe than sorry. So if there is and you believe in one, great. if there isn't, well you don't loose to much

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Here's my take on religion. I'm an agnostic atheist. But I don't hate religion unlike a lot of atheists out there. In fact, I love studying about religions and how they evolved and the process of turning natural events and celestial bodies into deities (anthropomorphization) to making human beings into gods (apotheosis). I would love to visit some of this historical religious sites like India, Greece, Israel, etc. While atheists like myself would consider all of these religions as myths, I don't dismiss them. In fact, learning religions can show us a deeper understanding of evolution and cultural heritage and the borrowing of ideas and doctrines through trade, conquest or travel in general. For example, I came across this fascinating archeological discovery in Turkey called "Gobeklie Tepé" which was said to be the first temple in the world which dates to around 12,000 BCE. This challenges the mainstream notion of scholars that religious worship started at 5,000 BCE where the earliest extant of writing started. There's so many fascinating books about this subject matter.

The thing is, I just find that the proffered evidences for the existence of these deities are scanty and problematic: historically, philosophically, and morally. Nonetheless, I have the utmost respect for an individual to believe or disbelieve anything as long as it doesn't spill deleteriously towards others which is not the case today. That's the time I tend to rant alot because belief and disbelief should not be coerced. 

What this guy said.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

5 hours ago, Kloaked said:

But in seriousness, I am curious why Atheists tend to go for the "I am a person of logic" retort, as if nobody who is into religion can think logically. Or do you even mean it that way?

Atheists have a rather distinct and dry perspective on the idea of a god, and sometimes that makes them get pretentious.

Religious people do it too, it's just sort of the buzzword thing, certain statements feel profound to say even though they're really not profound and probably not even accurate in their assumptions.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

6 hours ago, Slick said:

You have been warned. 

The lord has spoken!

- snip-

3 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

My way of thinking is that whether or not there is one (I personally believe there is) it is better to be safe than sorry. So if there is and you believe in one, great. if there isn't, well you don't loose to much

Pascal's wager.

my retort would be that you lose opportunity in your life. Instead of going to that party on satirday night and meeting your future wife you go to church and never meet her. It would feel intellectually dishonest for me to worship a being when I know pretty well that he doesnt exist.

- snip-

Not really due to the lack of being able to prove or disprove.

An interesting paradox: 

Say for example there is an all powerful and omnipotent being. The question is that is this being able to create an infinitely heavy rock that not even said being can lift? If this being is can create this rock and is unable to lift it, then the being is not all powerful and omnipotent. If the being is unable to create a rock that not even it is unable to lift, then the being is not all powerful and omnipotent. 

The interesting part is that technically both parts correct statements. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Pascal's wager.

my retort would be that you lose opportunity in your life. Instead of going to that party on satirday night and meeting your future wife you go to church and never meet her. It would feel intellectually dishonest for me to worship a being when I know pretty well that he doesnt exist.

Well, in all technicality you don't know if said being doesn't exist because there is no possible way to prove or disprove its existence though I do agree with you.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I believe in our God and Overlord Nvidia

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

31 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Pascal's wager.

but the same thing can be said the other way around. Instead of going to church and meeting your future wife you go to that party saturday night and never meet her. and to be honest there is plenty of evidence on both sides of the "does God exits or not" argument.

not trying to start a fight, just debating.

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

Science is the one true deity. 

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

31 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Well, in all technicality you don't know if said being doesn't exist because there is no possible way to prove or disprove its existence though I do agree with you.

You can easily disprove the biblical god, many of the accounts of his actions are provably false

- snip-