DaVinci Resolve Not Using 100% GPU

Misinthe
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
6 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

So what's the point of getting all those high end rigs if they can't use the GPU to its max?

For gaming? Who's high end rigs are you talking about?

People who do video rendering spend thousands more on their CPUs than their GPUs.

It still helps to have a GPU though, 30% on a titan XP is still way more power than 30% on a 1050ti.

There are however many other programs that do use near 100% GPU during rendering, such as graphic design and that kind of stuff.

Hey everyone, I just tried DaVinci Resolve for the first time and I noticed that my CPU is 100% but my GPU hovers around 30%, shouldn't it use 100% GPU too to speed things up? Any advice would be awesome. Thank you all for your response.

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

Hey everyone, I just tried DaVinci Resolve for the first time and I noticed that my CPU is 100% but my GPU hovers around 30%, shouldn't it use 100% GPU too to speed things up? Any advice would be awesome. Thank you all for your response.

You're experiencing a CPU bottleneck. Your CPU is too weak for your GPU, it can't keep up with it. If CPU usage was not 100 %, GPU load would me much higher

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

1 minute ago, Tech Wizard said:

You're experiencing a CPU bottleneck. Your CPU is too weak for your GPU, it can't keep up with it. If CPU usage was not 100 %, GPU load would me much higher

adding to that i would like to know your cpu and gpu 

His profile says i3 6100 and Gtx 970.

That seems for me to be a bottleneck system....

And video editing is known to use CPU a lot :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

adding to that i would like to know your cpu and gpu 

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

Actually, sorry about that, I'm using my laptop, Core i7 - 4710HQ with a GTX 970M 3GB.

9 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Most rendering programs that are GPU accelerated do not use anywhere near 100% GPU, depending on the codec.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most rendering programs that are GPU accelerated do not use anywhere near 100% GPU, depending on the codec.

Thought this was about gaming and FPS, my bad

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

1 minute ago, Tech Wizard said:

Davinci resolve is a video editing program ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Plus I'm not using the PC on my sig. It's my laptop, I know the i3 would bottleneck badly, that's why I'm trying to get an i5 6500 at least.

48 minutes ago, Enderman said:

So what's the point of getting all those high end rigs if they can't use the GPU to its max?

6 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

People who do video rendering spend thousands more on their CPUs than their GPUs.

It still helps to have a GPU though, 30% on a titan XP is still way more power than 30% on a 1050ti.

There are however many other programs that do use near 100% GPU during rendering, such as graphic design and that kind of stuff.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ahh okay. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait the time then, until I can buy a real editing rig. Thank you for your input.

• 1 year later...

I got an i7-4790K @ 4ghz. and a GTX 1080, my CPU is on 100% and the GPU is like 4% at most when rendering. Windows home 10.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2017 at 9:58 AM, Miguel552 said:

I had a similar setup, Quadcore I7 Latop Nvidia 1050 3gb graphics davinci, I configured the render to force CUDA and my GPU and it tripled the GPU usage and better than halved my video rendering time.  CPU is still maxed out, but it's definitely faster to render.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:58 PM, Miguel552 said:

i can tell you that i've been trouble shooting davinci for a while now and mine runs the same way i've never seen it run very high on the gpu

there are some work arounds i'm trying to help make it faster i been watching videos bc i still dont know my way around the program its going to take awhile 

try watching this and take this step i'm just about to try it myself it see if it helps 

not sure the problem your having but mine plays fine .. just makes it really hard to work with when start throwing in edits bc it becomes very slow playback just goes way down 

On 1/18/2017 at 5:04 PM, Mihle said:

yea if i had any idea that my i7-8700 wasn't going to be enough i would have taken a different approach lol 

trying some workarounds tho we'll see what happens