RX 470 8GB overclocking help

Gey guys, so I've been running my RX 470 8GB Nitro+ for a couple months now and it's doing well, but every time I overclock even a little, it'll run well for a bit then my screen goes blank and all my fans pump up to max.

I've been using MSI Afterburner, which worked great for my old 270x but I'm not sure it works as well now. Should I use Wattman? If so, what settings do you guys recommend?

For reference, the stock settings are 1260MHz on the core and 2000MHz on the memory. I've heard of people getting close to 1400MHz core clocks but I can't seem to get there.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

First things first, just reinstall afterburner. Sometimes it gets finnicky when you dont reinstall it after a GPU swap. If you've already done that, then use DDU and reinstall graphics drivers. Afterburner is a fantastic program imo and unless you prefer precision x, I'd say you should use it. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

First things first, just reinstall afterburner. Sometimes it gets finnicky when you dont reinstall it after a GPU swap. If you've already done that, then use DDU and reinstall graphics drivers. Afterburner is a fantastic program imo and unless you prefer precision x, I'd say you should use it. 

I'll give that a go. I also found a lot of people couldn't get over 1750 on the memory, but mine came at 2000 stock? Is that weird, or am I just lucky?

2 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

I'll give that a go. I also found a lot of people couldn't get over 1750 on the memory, but mine came at 2000 stock? Is that weird, or am I just lucky?

I think that's because you got an 8gb model. Most are 4gb models.

After that if it still black screens after overclocking raise the voltage a tiny bit (maybe +20 or +50 mV). Also, you could use AMD's Wattman for overclocking instead of something like Afterburner.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Not at all. That variant came with 2000MHz memory by the looks of it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i dont really want to say this, but maybe you are just unlucky. dont worry! this has happend to me before and probably to loads of others too, you just have to deal with it if it really is like that. not all gpus are the same, there are always some faulty ones. if you still can, maybe return it and get a new one?

Finally got it maybe working, now to quickly test the OC. I'll leave the memory alone, the best I've seen is 2100MHz which isn't going to do much. Also had to do the fix to get actual voltage control too. Will report back soon.

As a follow up, almost stable at 1370MHz core, so I've got it set to 1350 and it's rock steady. Cheers for the help guys.

Set a custom fan curve. Max out the power limit and add voltage as needed. I'm pretty sure you're like the million other people who complain about this but have been trying to overclock the wrong way.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Set a custom fan curve. Max out the power limit and add voltage as needed. I'm pretty sure you're like the million other people who complain about this but have been trying to overclock the wrong way.

Nah it was a dodgy Afterburner. I've been overclocking for years, just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.