Is it okay for my Xeon to reach 90C?

H0R53

3 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I have a Xeon X5460 with a TDP of 120W and a TCase of 65C. Is it okay if it reaches 90C or will this hurt the CPU and/or shorten its life? I will be getting liquid cooling, I just don't know when.

That's too hot, it the TCase 63C... What cooler are you using?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

90c is too hot

a cheap heatsink like Cooler Master Hyper212 would cool it just fine

you dont NEED a liquid cooler

Photography / Finance / Gaming

tcase is the recommended temp that intel suggests

get a 212Evo and maybe another fan for it if you need more cooling

idk

Those temps aren't recommended, but at work I was using workstation with 2 of those CPUs. And they were mostly at 80°C. Still works after 4 years xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I'm pretty sure it can still work, but it will shorten its life span and may shut off randomly.

I would never go over 70C...

90c is pretty high but shouldn't cause any permanent damage if it's just a peak temp and not sustained.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I swapped it out and am back to my Q9400 until I get a better cooler. I'm using a custom cooler I made myself. It's an aluminum radial heatsink with a copper slug and an 80mm fan. Before it was just aluminum, I put the 80mm fan and the copepr slug in myself. My Q9400 never goes above 60, it's got a TCase of 71C. I just got a new case (BitFenix Nova Window) so airflow is fine. Like I said I'll be getting a better cooler at some point.

48 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

That won't fit inside my case - 120mm fan barely fits properly. Which is why i want water cooling.

Maybe one of these will suit you:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11041/horizontal-cpu-coolers-3way-roundup

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

44 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

That's way to high

Judging by your profile pic (which I subsequently blocked with Adblock Plus because it's creepy as hell) YOU are way too high. And did you read the rest of the replies or are you a bit baked? General consensus says it's high but shouldn't be too much of a problem in short bursts. Which is exactly what's happening.

Someone please close this thread.

On 1/18/2017 at 10:01 PM, H0R53 said:

That won't fit inside my case - 120mm fan barely fits properly. Which is why i want water cooling.

then look at literally any of the down-draft cpu heatsinks

if your case cant support a 120mm fan how do you plan on installing an AIO

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 hour ago, mok said:

then look at literally any of the down-draft cpu heatsinks

if your case cant support a 120mm fan how do you plan on installing an AIO

My CPU isn't as far into the case as others may be, it's LGA 771, plus the heat pipes off of the cooler make it too large, however I have a 120mm rear exhaust that came with the case, and I can fit 2 120mm in the front or a single 140mm in the front of my case (BitFenix Nova Window). I'm looking at the Phantek cooler, I like that one and it's only $40.

1 hour ago, H0R53 said:

My CPU isn't as far into the case as others may be, it's LGA 771, plus the heat pipes off of the cooler make it too large, however I have a 120mm rear exhaust that came with the case, and I can fit 2 120mm in the front or a single 140mm in the front of my case (BitFenix Nova Window). I'm looking at the Phantek cooler, I like that one and it's only $40.

If you are indeed using a Nova, a 212 Evo would fit without an issue. 

I don't see how your cpu wouldn't be as far into the case as others without some modding. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you are indeed using a Nova, a 212 Evo would fit without an issue. 

I don't see how your cpu wouldn't be as far into the case as others without some modding. 

I measured the distance from the CPU to the edge of the panel and it's slightly less than the 212 is high. I would have to squeeze the side panel on.

6 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I measured the distance from the CPU to the edge of the panel and it's slightly less than the 212 is high. I would have to squeeze the side panel on.

I doubt you're measuring accurately if that's the case. The case supports coolers up to 160mm and the 212 Evo is 158mm tall.

There are plenty of builds with 160mm tall coolers in the Nova and the thickness of the motherboard and cpu is standardized

If you're using a ruler, don't forget to take in mind the extra indent before the hatch marks begin. 

4 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Hyper 212 "barely touching the side panel" at 3:40

Practically touching the side panel*

Yes, it should be 2-3mm away from the side panel--that is not a problem. It's perfectly normal.