Mystery Port

I found this port on the front panel of my grandmother's old Gateway, and I have no idea what it is. There's nothing inside that would fit there, and I've never seen that icon before.

I asked my friend if he knew what it was, he said he had seen it before on a couple of his old PCs as well, but he didn't know either.

Does anybody know what this mystery port is and/or what it was used for?

Mysteryport.JPG

1 minute ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

I found this port on the front panel of my grandmother's old Gateway, and I have no idea what it is. There's nothing inside that would fit there, and I've never seen that icon before.

I asked my friend if he knew what it was, he said he had seen it before on a couple of his old PCs as well, but he didn't know either.

Looks like the shape of what could be a firewire port to me.

2 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

Mysteryport.JPG

firewire by the shape of it

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Looks like the shape of what could be a firewire port to me.

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

firewire by the shape of it

That's what my friend thought, but the icon doesn't match the icon you find when you Google "Firewire"...

its a firewire port.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

That's what my friend thought, but the icon doesn't match the icon you find when you Google "Firewire"...

look at the connector then

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I think this port is rather useless in 2017

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

look at the connector then

It literally says "There's nothing inside that would fit there" in the post, bro.

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

I think this port is rather useless in 2017

Yeah, but it's kinda driving me crazy that I don't know what it is and I can't find it anywhere online; still looking online to this moment.

1 minute ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

Yeah, but it's kinda driving me crazy that I don't know what it is and I can't find it anywhere online; still looking online to this moment.

Like everyone else said that should be firewire port.

You can also take that plastic cover off and see what's hiding inside. I hope it's not dead mouse lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Like everyone else said that should be firewire port.

You can also take that plastic cover off and see what's hiding inside. I hope it's not dead mouse lol

There's nothing under the cover, for the third time.

Screw it, I'll just dig around for a manual.

USB

seriously though, post a picture with that cover removed.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Definitely FireWire,compare the shapes. 

Screenshot_20170118-161530.png

9 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

There's nothing under the cover, for the third time.

Screw it, I'll just dig around for a manual.

Sorry, didn't see that you already mentioned that in previous replys xD

WD My Cloud 4TB

13 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

USB

seriously though, post a picture with that cover removed.

Just for you, cover removed:

Mysteryportnocover.JPG

Now do you believe me?

Also, no luck on finding that manual, so I'm kinda screwed there.

If any of you guys could find a picture of that icon with any relation to Firewire, I'd believe you.

Also, note that this PC is from late 2001.

Edited by Jwalbrecht2000

53 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

If any of you guys could find a picture of that icon with any relation to Firewire, I'd believe you

scroll up to Abyss Gaming's post

Edit: oh wait, you mean the icon. yeah, nvm then

Double Edit: after searching extensively the only 2 ports i've been able to find that fit the shape are S/PDIF or FireWire 400. there's nothing that matches that symbol, it may be a proprietary symbol

Triple Edit: FOUND IT! IEEE1394 (FireWire 400) port. see? we know what we're talking about

Edited by Archeval
Because i must know

50 minutes ago, Archeval said:

Double Edit: after searching extensively the only 2 ports i've been able to find that fit the shape are S/PDIF or FireWire 400. there's nothing that matches that symbol, it may be a proprietary symbol

Triple Edit: FOUND IT! IEEE1394 (FireWire 400) port. see? we know what we're talking about

You win!  I spent a good 10 minutes searching and couldn't find an explanation!  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

2 hours ago, Archeval said:

Perfect, thanks to @Archeval for the proof of everybody's answers; sorry for doubting literally everybody's answers.

The symbol represents nothing. It's just their own way of representing a firewire port or a port for hooking up a media device like cam corder.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list