ASRock shows off a new SFF motherboard formfactor

Mira Yurizaki

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11052/asrock-shows-deskmini-gtxrx-using-microstx-motherboard-with-mxm-support

The biggest features of this is that it uses MXM boards for GPU support and SO-DIMM memory. It's a bit smaller than a Mini-ITX, but not too much smaller though. Still, it looks like it'll really pave the way for DIY console sized PCs.

Just hoping that there'll be a decent supply of MXM boards somewhere for a fair price.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11052/asrock-shows-deskmini-gtxrx-using-microstx-motherboard-with-mxm-support

The biggest features of this is that it uses MXM boards for GPU support and SO-DIMM memory. It's a bit smaller than a Mini-ITX, but not too much smaller though. Still, it looks like it'll really pave the way for DIY console sized PCs.

Just hoping that there'll be a decent supply of MXM boards somewhere for a fair price.

Holy hell that is small.

Ya I hope, amd has already moved to single slot I/O on their GPUs which I love. Now I just need a mDTX board. I would rather not use the x99 mini itx with a PCIe splitter in a custom case. I don't have enough time and money for that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I don't think it's a new form factor. Mini-STX has been around for a while and there have been a few barebones PCs out there (I think MSI has one) that use a mini-STX based mobo.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This is a big deal. If this can motivate manufacturers to produce MXM modules on a mass scale, this would be a boon for both the desktop and mobile market, as users would be able to upgrade their MXM laptops with ease. The problem is, MXM is so niche and scarce, that the modules themselves cost a fortune, up to twice that of their normal desktop counterparts. 

This also means serious performance in a small form factor. The board appears to support the stock intel mounting pattern, so you can delid a 7700k, strap a 45mm vapor chamber on top of it, and have a 4.5ghz quad core that runs extremely cool. As for cooling the GPU, I can think of several ways to cool that (giant heatsink with perforated side panel and a high static pressure fan strapped to it). 

I love the plethora of M.2 slots on the bottom of the board, including one for wifi. I am excited for this things release. Might end up making yet another custom ITX chassis after all, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I don't think it's a new form factor. Mini-STX has been around for a while and there have been a few barebones PCs out there (I think MSI has one) that use a mini-STX based mobo.

Ah you're right. But in my defense it's less than two years old. That still makes it newish :P

Like many SFF fans in this thread, we would love for this micro STX form factor to catch on but I don't think Asrock intended for this to become a new standard for custom builders like us but rather for more unique boutique and OEMs to use in their special SFF prebuilts

As mention before, without the support of companies making MXM graphics cards, the Micro STX platform is alreay dead before it can even catch on. However, I feel like it would only take one of the bigger GPU AIBs like Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte to take the plunge and create one or two models to test the waters. Similar to shorter mitx graphics cards, when Asus kind of started the trend back in the days of the GTX 670 mini and now we have many options from Gigabyte, Asus Zotac, and even AMD with the Nano. The same could be said with silverstone making SFX PSUs and now Corsair are making them too.

Even with a lot of support, these boards will still be very niche.

this is fantastic!

The cpu die and gpu die are on the same plane, that means someone is going to design custom cooler that letting them share heatpipes. I think it's a very efficient way of cooling.

Using mobile components is not something groundbreaking though, because that's how those tiny gaming cubes and super high end laptops work. Asrock just made them into a standard form factor.

Still, unless mxm becomes a well adopted standard, mini itx with its convenient pcie is still going to be dominent

Looks cool but unless you got the money to get a mxm 970m or 980m you're not gonna get far if gaming is the intention. Sucks but mxm isn't going to be a thing... ever.

Great. Now make MXM modules for the full desktop GPUs (RX460/470/480, GTX series) and make them readily available at or near the standard desktop card's price. Then we're talking.

Cooling these MXM GPUs will be very interesting.

Ye ole' train

9 hours ago, MageTank said:

The problem is, MXM is so niche and scarce, that the modules themselves cost a fortune, up to twice that of their normal desktop counterparts.

Two years ago when I asked an official HP reseller about upgrading my 10 years old laptop, they told me $1200 for a quadro FX1500m. $1200.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Two years ago when I asked an official HP reseller about upgrading my 10 years old laptop, they told me $1200 for a quadro FX1500m. $1200.

$1200 for what is essentially a PS3 (Playstation 3) GPU. Not sure what demand there is for these parts that warrants such a price. Perhaps find a scrapped model and snag its card. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 1/19/2017 at 7:10 AM, The Benjamins said:

This is cool but still want to see high end mini DTX board.

Agreed I feel that Mini-DTX would be much more popular then Mini-ITX. SLI in such a tiny box 

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

5 minutes ago, JJHW149 said:

Agreed I feel that Mini-DTX would be much more popular then Mini-ITX. SLI in such a tiny box 

I don't know if it'd work like that considering Mini-DTX only has two slots and SLI with high end cards requires at the minimum a height of three slots. And since you have four slots for the case, you're encroaching on mATX territory.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't know if it'd work like that considering Mini-DTX only has two slots and SLI with high end cards requires at the minimum a height of three slots. And since you have four slots for the case, you're encroaching on mATX territory.

Linus did 7 GPUs in 7 slots so.... Single slot watercooled mini 1080s? 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The space needed for that is still approaching mATX territory I think.

I think like fully custom for the case it would work. And would like sick as hell

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

How easy is it to purchase MXM cards though? And even if you can buy one, there aren't many out there.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Is that Asrock Micro-STX or Mini-STX?

Cause here is a mini-STX

20160108-2.jpg

Boards are below $100

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=mini+stx&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list