BIOS comparability with Kabylake

Go to solution Solved by typographie,
12 hours ago, Ethan Meskin said:

This is the cheapest b250 there. Does it have any glaring issues. If not I'm buying it because it's only 4.80 more

I don't see a link there, but I don't know of any issues with any particular B250 motherboards. 

As far as features, if H110 was going to be enough for you any B250 board certainly should be. B250 is actually a pretty big upgrade over H110 for such a small price. In addition to your peace of mind, the chipset supports more SATA and USB ports, 12 chipset PCIe 3.0 lanes (to H110's 6 PCIe 2.0 lanes), and support for dual-channel memory.

Speaking of dual channel memory, you can still stick with the 1x8 GB module you've picked out (especially if you're planning to get another 1x8), but with a B250 motherboard you have the option to get a 2x4 GB kit instead to immediately enable dual-channel mode. The performance impact varies depending on what you're doing, but there shouldn't be much price difference either way.

I'm building this (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XBqxVY) PC, but the MSI site only lists my Mobo as compatible with 6th gen processors. Is there a BIOS update for this here or on the way? If so how do I update it without a CPU, and if not are there any KabyLake supporting motherboards for around the same price?

4 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I'm building this (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XBqxVY) PC, but the MSI site only lists my Mobo as compatible with 6th gen processors. Is there a BIOS update for this here or on the way? If so how do I update it without a CPU, and if not are there any KabyLake supporting motherboards for around the same price?

https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/MSI-Will-Support-Kaby-Lake-Processors-All-100-Series-Motherboards

Here's to the crazy ones...

1 minute ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I think they just didn't bother to update the spec site, MSI officially stated that your motherboard will have a BIOS update so that it will work.

There are enough guides on how to update your BIOS, look on the forum or google.

Just now, typographie said:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-GAMING.html#support-cpu

MSI does list support for Kaby Lake CPUs for this board, including the G4560. The problem is that it may not have the correct BIOS update right out of the box, depending on when it was manufactured. I'm not sure there's any way to be sure of that.

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

I thought all modern MSI boards had a USB BIOS Flash option, but they don't.

:| So @Ethan Meskin you'll need to make sure that you buy one with the newest BIOS.

5 minutes ago, typographie said:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-GAMING.html#support-cpu

MSI does list support for Kaby Lake CPUs for this board, including the G4560. The problem is that it may not have the correct BIOS update right out of the box, depending on when it was manufactured. I'm not sure there's any way to be sure of that.

How would I go about updating it w/o a CPU?

3 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

You can't, try to find one with the newest BIOS.

Only expensive motherboards feature a way to flash the BIOS with a USB without a CPU.

5 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

That's the problem, I don't think you can. :P I'd probably want to play it safe and get a B250 board myself, but those are a little more expensive. Looks like about ~£10–20 on PC Part Picker.

Officially there is no H210, apparently Intel still considers H110 current for the Kaby Lake generation (source). So support should be quite good as it's not technically even "backwards-"compatible in that case. So I feel like they would have had to find a solution for this problem, but I'm just not sure enough to tell you to buy it.

1 hour ago, typographie said:

That's the problem, I don't think you can. :P I'd probably want to play it safe and get a B250 board myself, but those are a little more expensive. Looks like about ~£10–20 on PC Part Picker.

Officially there is no H210, apparently Intel still considers H110 current for the Kaby Lake generation (source). So support should be quite good as it's not technically even "backwards-"compatible in that case. So I feel like they would have had to find a solution for this problem, but I'm just not sure enough to tell you to buy it.

This is the cheapest b250 there. Does it have any glaring issues. If not I'm buying it because it's only 4.80 more

12 hours ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I don't see a link there, but I don't know of any issues with any particular B250 motherboards. 

As far as features, if H110 was going to be enough for you any B250 board certainly should be. B250 is actually a pretty big upgrade over H110 for such a small price. In addition to your peace of mind, the chipset supports more SATA and USB ports, 12 chipset PCIe 3.0 lanes (to H110's 6 PCIe 2.0 lanes), and support for dual-channel memory.

Speaking of dual channel memory, you can still stick with the 1x8 GB module you've picked out (especially if you're planning to get another 1x8), but with a B250 motherboard you have the option to get a 2x4 GB kit instead to immediately enable dual-channel mode. The performance impact varies depending on what you're doing, but there shouldn't be much price difference either way.

37 minutes ago, typographie said:

I'm just gaming, the Mobo is still mATX so still just one PCIe x16 and 2 Pcie x16. I think I'll stick with the 8gb stick just to have the upgradabilty to 16 without getting rid of any.