Does mobo chipset matter for Kaby Lake iGPU?

m0k
Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,
7 minutes ago, mok said:

did you mean CPU instead of PC? really though?
because that sounds like an expensive bios update

Don't quote me on this, but i have seen people claiming that some motherboards can be flashed without a CPU. Essentially, if you buy a motherboard with support for a native USB flash, you should actually be able to flash it (look for features like q-flash, m-flash, ez-flash, etc). All you would have to do is copy the bios file onto an 8gb fat32 drive. 

to my knowledge, however, a CPU is required to boot to BIOS on all motherboards, so im not sure. 

(NOT A GAMING BUILD)

I'm considering building a low-end PC around the new Pentium G4560 and its iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 610)

I cant decide on a motherboard,

Does this new Kaby Lake iGPU require a new B250, H270 chipset to work?
or can i use an older B150 / H110 / H170 ?

Thanks

Photography / Finance / Gaming

4 minutes ago, mok said:

(NOT A GAMING BUILD)

I'm considering building a low-end PC around the new Pentium G4560 and its iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 610)

Thanks

a b150/h110/h170 will work with a bios update.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

8 minutes ago, mok said:

(NOT A GAMING BUILD)

Thanks

To do a bios update you need a pc from the same series as the chipset

MY RIG

I5 6600k

16gb Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

9 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

6 minutes ago, Chewique said:

To do a bios update you need a pc from the same series as the chipset

7 minutes ago, mok said:

Don't quote me on this, but i have seen people claiming that some motherboards can be flashed without a CPU. Essentially, if you buy a motherboard with support for a native USB flash, you should actually be able to flash it (look for features like q-flash, m-flash, ez-flash, etc). All you would have to do is copy the bios file onto an 8gb fat32 drive. 

to my knowledge, however, a CPU is required to boot to BIOS on all motherboards, so im not sure. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

okay thanks,  i'll look into those features

7 minutes ago, mok said:

okay thanks,  i'll look into those features

Most modern motherboards support this. As I mentioned in an edit, I have always been under the impression that a pc won't enter bios unless a CPU is installed. Your best bet may be to take it to a store and see if they can flash the bios for you for a small service charge. 

24 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Most modern motherboards support this. As I mentioned in an edit, I have always been under the impression that a pc won't enter bios unless a CPU is installed. Your best bet may be to take it to a store and see if they can flash the bios for you for a small service charge. 

I've flashed bios before, i think i should be fine,

currently looking at this asrock board which does require a bios update to support this pentium cpu
 https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/x2mxFT/asrock-motherboard-h110mitxac

And asrock provides instructions on bios updates here
http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=BIOS8

6 minutes ago, mok said:

I've flashed bios before, i think i should be fine,

currently looking at this asrock board which does require a bios update to support this pentium cpu
 https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/x2mxFT/asrock-motherboard-h110mitxac

And asrock provides instructions on bios updates here
http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=BIOS8

yeah, my concern is that you may not be able to reach the bios screen at all without a CPU.