AT&T Shuts Down 2G Network

Guest Kloaked

SAUCE: http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/17/att-shuts-down-2g-network/

Remember how Nvidia just continually comes out with better graphics cards that makes previous ones obsolete? Nobody else does that, just them. We've established this many times on this forum. Anyways, AT&T has now shut down their 2G network that will render the first iPhone obsolete.

#PlannedObsolescence

AT&T yesterday announced that its 2G wireless network was officially shut down on January 1, 2017, following four years of planning for its discontinuation. 

As The Verge points out, the end of the 2G network means the original first-generation iPhone (also known as the iPhone 2G) will no longer receive cellular service from the AT&T network, effectively shutting it down.

This confirms $100% that AT&T is in cahoots with Apple to make all first-gen iPhones obsolete so that users are forced to upgrade to their shitty iPhone 7 that offers absolutely nothing over the first-gen iPhone. This is totally anticonsumer and I will be asking for a refund. If I don't get one, I'm writing to the BBB.

Few people appear to have been using the original iPhone as there were no complaints from iPhone owners two weeks ago when the network was shuttered, but going forward, customers who keep the device as part of a collection will only be able to use it on WiFi.

Wow. Such #FakeNews. Literally everyone I know (and I know a lot of people, believe me) still uses the first-gen iPhone! Why do we have to upgrade when there's really nothing to upgrade to?? This is going to bite them in the ass.

While the end of the 2G network seems to have had little impact on iPhone owners, it did manage to cause significant issues for the San Francisco Muni bus and train system. NextMuni, used to predict arrival times of buses and trains, ran on AT&T's 2G network.

See! There is still use for 2G!!1 They shouldn't have shut it down! O. M. G.

If you want AT&T to end their antics with Apple, please sign my petition here. This planned obsolescence has got to stop in the industry.

Hope german compies dont pull the same shit cause i am still using my Galaxy s2 plus. It is totally fine for me tho i would only consider upgrading because of a better camera

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Why do we have to upgrade when there's really nothing to upgrade to??

Yes, it is bad that they are doing this, but iPhone to iPhone 7 is an enormous improvement. If you can't see that, you're delusional

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

Yes, it is bad that they are doing this, but iPhone to iPhone 7 is an enormous improvement. If you can't see that, you're delusional

The iPhone 7 literally does nothing the first-gen iPhone can't do.

they did this in AU

my grandpa literally wondered why his phone didn't work for an entire month and eventually realised that he had a text from the carrier saying 'The 2G network is shutting down soon - claim your free phone and upgrade to the 3G network today!'. Applied for it online using his terrible Pentium 4 + 512MB machine, and it arrived in the mail a week later. 

That's how you do it in style bois

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

they did this in AU

my grandpa literally wondered why his phone didn't work for an entire month and eventually realised that he had a text from the carrier saying 'The 2G network is shutting down soon - claim your free phone and upgrade to the 3G network today!'. Applied for it online using his terrible Pentium 4 + 512MB machine, and it arrived in the mail a week later. 

That's how you do it in style bois

Why upgrade though? All that does it add old devices to landfills!

I mean god. Starving kids in Africa could eat those new iPhone 7s. I don't need it.

I'm glad that I've got something modern (an iPhone 6), but I really wanted to have the chance to use an activated first-gen model. This really sucks.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Kloaked said:

Why upgrade though? All that does it add old devices to landfills!

I mean god. Starving kids in Africa could eat those new iPhone 7s. I don't need it.

this man tells the truth - that nokia didn't need to be in a landfill! feels bad tho, he had like a car mount and everything for that phone and used it for years.. he's keeping it just as a memento and I can't blame him. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

this man tells the truth - that nokia didn't need to be in a landfill! feels bad tho, he had like a car mount and everything for that phone and used it for years.. he's keeping it just as a memento and I can't blame him. 

I wouldn't blame anyone for keeping it.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I wouldn't blame anyone for keeping it.

7 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

The iPhone 7 literally does nothing the first-gen iPhone can't do.

So original iPhone has finger print sensor ?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, Thony said:

As far as basic functionality wise, they aren't different.

1 minute ago, Thony said:

Of course it does. Why do you think you touch the screen with your finger?

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

As far as basic functionality wise.

Same saying applies to every smartphone ever made then.

So users can switch to android phones and problem is solved. Or even older iPhones, I dont see how thet are forced to get iPhone 7 (OP makes it sound like nothing else exists from apple).

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

A lot and I mean a LOT of IoT devices such as the trackers in those buses use 2G/GPRS for communication. I don't know what exactly is common in the US, LoJack, maybe? Here in Finland there are loads of security and trail cameras and such on GPRS only. What I'm more concerned with is the safety issues. 2G has a much better range and resistance for interference which makes it awesome for being able to call for help in the wilderness. I'm just happy 2G will never disappear where I live. We actually still have the infrastructure working for the pre-GSM 450MHz NMT network. It's just upgraded to LTE. Now, where can you find a 450MHz LTE device and how much will it cost are an issue on it's own but the tech is there and not likely to go away.  

if there is someone to blame it's apple for releasing a phone that can only access on a 2G network when 3G was already widely used 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

Same saying applies to every smartphone ever made then.

So users can switch to android phones and problem is solved. Or even older iPhones, I dont see how thet are forced to get iPhone 7 (OP makes it sound like nothing else exists from apple).

Dude the iPhone 7 literally does nothing new. This is just a planned obsolescence tactic.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Of course it does. Why do you think you touch the screen with your finger?

Not sure u are joking or serious. 

2G is ded :L

3G is unused, mostly :_L

4G is da best.

5G... nowhere to be soon.

Groomlake Authority

i use 2G and i'm absolutely triggered

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

i use 2G and i'm absolutely triggered

Finally someone who gets it.

There are still people with first gen iPhones? How the hell are they still functioning? How is the battery even lasting?

This is an outdated platform and AT&T is still a business. It cost money to support a platform and if there are 5 people using a million dollar network then why keep it up and lose money? Id like to see the people that complain about this kill off make a valid argument for keeping a network that is a guaranteed money sink.

I dont get why this issue is being blown up so much...Its a 7 year old phone that has been forced to a crawl from software updates, has terrible battery (if its even still running) and has not been supported in years.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are still people with first gen iPhones? How the hell are they still functioning? How is the battery even lasting?

This is an outdated platform and AT&T is still a business. It cost money to support a platform and if there are 5 people using a million dollar network then why keep it up and lose money? Id like to see the people that complain about this kill off make a valid argument for keeping a network that is a guaranteed money sink.

I dont get why this issue is being blown up so much...Its a 7 year old phone that has been forced to a crawl from software updates, has terrible battery (if its even still running) and has not been supported in years.

My first-gen iPhone works better than the iPhone 7.

Considering there are areas here in Germany where i only receive GPRS Signal... I would like to live in a country where the signal is good enough so that the providers have the opportunity to even disable 2G, lol. Its rare for me to even see 3G, outside of cities ofc. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Finally someone who gets it.

Like I know a lot of people who still use 2G phones, and a lot of stuff uses AT&T 2G outside of phones. But 2G can't go above the theoretical maximum speed of 256kbps so I kinda understand them.

A lot of users will be pissed off but 2G had to be shut down sooner or later, just like analog 1G was.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB