Looking for cpu cooler that fits in a certain case with a certain ram...

EnVy_28
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
7 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

Yeah ok, but like I said in my thread, my H80i makes my cpu sweat at full load (around 80~85C maybe 90C) which sucks IMO. So if it performs similar to H80i, then I would just get a replacement H80i which I know I have no compatibility probs...

But one thing about H80i is, it has a low density rad... which I think affects performance, i dunno though, maybe?

So I actually find a high dense liquid cooler, the Antec Kuhler 920... Wonder how it performs though... watching a lot of reviews right now...

P95 is a synthetic load and you shouldn't be worrying unless you're getting the same temps during regular use. If your cooler is still under warranty, I'd suggest just getting a replacement from Corsair. 

The h80i is actually a pretty dense rad (most AIO's are) and performs similarly to the Kuhler 920.

The Kotetsu wouldn't have any compatibility issues if you do go with it. 

Ok, so first things first, I apologize for posting it here. I don't really know whether to post it in "Air Cooling" or "Water Cooling" section. I don't really care if it's air or water cooled.

My Corsair H80i died...

Case: Define R3

MB: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance High Profile

My CPU runs 4.5Ghz @ 80~85C at full load prime95 in Corsair H80i (which sucks IMO)...

Need good cooler... Please...

Edit:

So I did my research...

RAM Height: 52.5mm / 2.06 inch

Define R3 Max CPU Cooler height: 165mm / 6.5 inch

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Be Quiet! dark rock 3?   nevermind, thats too large. 

Too large? I was actually looking at this before I saw your reply...

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

1 minute ago, EnVy_28 said:

It'll fit the case but I don't think you'll have enough RAM clearance. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

DSC_1864.jpg

^ This might be a problem.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

8 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

It'll fit the case but I don't think you'll have enough RAM clearance. 

7 minutes ago, ZothOmmog said:

^ This might be a problem.

6 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

indeed, dark rock 3 only supports up to 40mm tall RAM. 

So I did some research too, I updated my post and added the ram height and define r3 max cpu cooler height...

5 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Which out of these is your RAM specifically? http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/memory/vengeance

It's this guy right here... http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-32gb-quad-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz32gx3m4x1600c10

How about the Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm? is it at all in your budget price range?

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

2 minutes ago, ZothOmmog said:

How about the Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm? is it at all in your budget price range?

Define R3 does not support dual rad unfortunately...

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Dark Rock TF?

Can it handle 3770k@4.5Ghz?

4 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

Can it handle 3770k@4.5Ghz?

it has a TDP rating of 220w, I would hope so. 

Heres an i5 6600k @ 4.6ghz @ 1.4v 

temp_oc_wprime.png 

It looks like it will perform the same as your h80i. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

5 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

Define R3 does not support dual rad unfortunately...

But it's only 30mm thick, but hey you must know what is best for your case.

Though it's weird I can't find an official list from Fractal Design of supported radiators. :(

4 minutes ago, ZothOmmog said:

But it's only 30mm thick, but hey you must know what is best for your case.

Though it's weird I can't find an official list from Fractal Design of supported radiators. :(

The thickness is not the problem... Unfortunately, there are no place in the case where you can mount a dual rad, which sucks.

80-85c at load is perfectly fine.

Is your h80i still under warranty?

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

80-85c at load is perfectly fine.

Is your h80i still under warranty?

Moved to Air Cooling. 

is it? I thought its not for 3770k...

Anyway, I am actually thinking of moving to air cooling but, finding a cooler that has enough ram clearance and can fit in my case is a freaking nightmare... Been watch a lot of reviews lately, and most available out there is not compatible with my setup...

2 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

is it? I thought its not for 3770k...

Anyway, I am actually thinking of moving to air cooling but, finding a cooler that has enough ram clearance and can fit in my case is a freaking nightmare... Been watch a lot of reviews lately, and most available out there is not compatible with my setup...

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

Mostly amazon japan... I'll buy anything from anywhere as long as it can ship to japan...

9 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

Mostly amazon japan... I'll buy anything from anywhere as long as it can ship to japan...

Kotetsu: https://www.amazon.co.jp/サイズ-HASWELL対応-虎徹-12cmサイドフロー-SCKTT-1000/dp/B00G1YXN6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484748040&sr=8-1&keywords=kotetsu

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Im a little bit skeptical about a company that Ive never heard of before. And looking at the product, it looks good. It looks the same as Hyper 212 which I might choose instead of this if I&m going for it, Also on the description, its rated at 80C on 2600k @4.6Ghz, which runs cooler than ivy bridge. I wonder though if it can handle the mordor temp of an ivy bridge?

9 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

Im a little bit skeptical about a company that Ive never heard of before. And looking at the product, it looks good. It looks the same as Hyper 212 which I might choose instead of this if I&m going for it, Also on the description, its rated at 80C on 2600k @4.6Ghz, which runs cooler than ivy bridge. I wonder though if it can handle the mordor temp of an ivy bridge?

The Kotetsu a tier or two beyond the 212 Evo and performs similarly to coolers like the NH-U12S and close to the H80i. 

The 2600k oc is just an example and not a rating. Temps are based on voltage and not the oc. Don't read too much into it.

Scythe has been around for a while and is usually pretty well priced in Japan.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Kotetsu a tier or two beyond the 212 Evo and performs similarly to coolers like the NH-U12S and close to the H80i. 

The 2600k oc is just an example and not a rating. Temps are based on voltage and not the oc. Don't read too much into it.

Yeah ok, but like I said in my thread, my H80i makes my cpu sweat at full load (around 80~85C maybe 90C) which sucks IMO. So if it performs similar to H80i, then I would just get a replacement H80i which I know I have no compatibility probs...

But one thing about H80i is, it has a low density rad... which I think affects performance, i dunno though, maybe?

So I actually find a high dense liquid cooler, the Antec Kuhler 920... Wonder how it performs though... watching a lot of reviews right now...

7 minutes ago, EnVy_28 said:

P95 is a synthetic load and you shouldn't be worrying unless you're getting the same temps during regular use. If your cooler is still under warranty, I'd suggest just getting a replacement from Corsair. 

The h80i is actually a pretty dense rad (most AIO's are) and performs similarly to the Kuhler 920.

The Kotetsu wouldn't have any compatibility issues if you do go with it.