Should I build new or upgrade current setup?? HELP!

Hey everyone,

I'm really new at PC building. Been watching the guys on LTT for about a year. I'm looking to either upgrade my current rig for editing (Photography/Video/Audio) or building from scratch. I just don't know what I should do! Money is an issue, can't spend an arm and a leg. Max $700 (CAD) unfortunately.

This is what I'm working with right now:

-Aspire M3 (AM3420- ES348)

-AMD A8-5500 3.2GHz Processor

-8GB of DDR3 RAM

-2TB SATA 7200RPM

-Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7350 1GB

-300W Power Supply

-Motherboard: Chipset: AMD A75

I would greatly appreciate the help and or any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks in advance!

11 minutes ago, CheeseLaBouf said:

Hey everyone,

I'm really new at PC building. Been watching the guys on LTT for about a year. I'm looking to either upgrade my current rig for editing (Photography/Video/Audio) or building from scratch. I just don't know what I should do! Money is an issue, can't spend an arm and a leg. Max $700 (CAD) unfortunately.

-8GB of DDR3 RAM

-2TB SATA 7200RPM

-300W Power Supply

Thanks in advance!

I think to save slightly more and build a new rig would be good. I believe some one here will be able to come out with a budget but yet kind of awesome build for you.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

6 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

New, maybe salvage and add more RAM :)

Do you mean, build something from scratch with some salvaged parts from my old rig?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, CheeseLaBouf said:

Do you mean, build something from scratch with some salvaged parts from my old rig?

Thanks.

Build from scratch but you could prob salvage your RAM and then add some more ram on top :)

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

Keep your harddrive, and RAM, then upgrade everything else. Unless you want to keep the case too. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Something like this is what you could get while keeping your RAM https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mkHkbj, but I'd suggest saving up another 100$ so you can get some DDR4 and move to kabylake/ZEN, it would be worth much more. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

new, go for a new PC. for new get an I5 7600 and an RX 470 probably, cant make a parts list for you right now but you should be able to get that in there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, CheeseLaBouf said:

Hey everyone,

-8GB of DDR3 RAM

-2TB SATA 7200RPM

-300W Power Supply

Thanks in advance!

I'd say absolutely new build but with Ryzen tipped to be just over a month away it would seem crazy not to wait until the launch and see how/if it shakes up the cpu market and prices. Personally I'm team blue but I do think the reds will come out swinging with Ryzen. Even if you go intel the competition may tip prices in your favour.

Use the time to save a bit more. The closer you can get to $900-1000 the better :)