New XPS 15 9560, no full speed Thunderbolt 3...

Hi!

It´s been confirmed by dell that the Thunderbolt 3 port is the same as in the old model and won´t support speeds up to 40gbps because they still only use 2 PCIe lanes instead of 4. The XPS 13 2-1 will however have full thunderbolt speed.

I´ve been waiting a long time for the new dell XPS 15. I thought that I finally would get a portable professional laptop with good battery life and the power to play games without looking like a toy, and the option to use a eGPU later on when the 1050 wouldn´t be enough.

Do anyone recommend any other laptop that is similar but with full Thunderbolt 3 speeds?

Do you have any sources on that? I can only find "confirmations" from Dell support, but noone disproving it as of yet.

EDIT: I wouldn't doubt it knowing Dell, but I'm rather interested in finding any faults with the machine that is on it's way :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12G1VTFWkTL5tb8nxUAtnDHwTLyya9I3Vw-OXXrIN4e4/edit#gid=934244290

Zenbook U501VW is an alternative. Wait for the refresh. Failing that, 

My new offical fav eGPU laptop will be the Dell Latitude 14 5480. 7820HQ + no dGPU + TB3 port. Perfect. 

edit: the E5480 seems to only offer tb3 with a 930MX offering. hmmm. 

Edited by Pendragon
i was wrong

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, SirBillyMays said:

Do you have any sources on that? I can only find "confirmations" from Dell support, but noone disproving it as of yet.

EDIT: I wouldn't doubt it knowing Dell, but I'm rather interested in finding any faults with the machine that is on it's way :)

In the beginning the dell support was under the assumption that it would be PCIe x4. However it have changed. I´ve talk to 2 different people at DellCare Nordic which both told me that it was PCIe x 2, one of them even asked me to wait 2 days so he could get an answer from the "technical team". The conversations where not in English so don´t know if you want to read them :P

2 hours ago, Pendragon said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12G1VTFWkTL5tb8nxUAtnDHwTLyya9I3Vw-OXXrIN4e4/edit#gid=934244290

My new offical fav eGPU laptop will be the Dell Latitude 14 5480. 7820HQ + no dGPU + TB3 port. Perfect. 

I need a dGPU because I need to game without a eGPU from time to time. I would like the laptop to be able to handle the games I play right know (CS GO, Dota 2, Overwatch). 1050 is enough for the games that I play. The eGPU is more fore the future, so I dont have to buy a new laptop just when the 1050 is not enough. I was thinking of the Razer blade with a Dbrand skin as an alternative, even tho it has 1489412 problems. I really value portability and look. I can´t manage a computer which is designed for a 12 year old. Money is not a problem. I don´t have room for a desktop rig at my apartment.

On further investigation, the Dell support in UK have said that it is PCIe x 4. Let´s just hope that Dell Nordic have no clue what they are talking about :P.

@Lillchillers: Feel free to post them, I'm personally in the Nordic region myself :P

Various support teams have said various things, if you'd like I can personally confirm it when I get my XPS 9560 (it should arrive before 13.2.2017), but someone else have probably checked it before me...

Can I ask how you got in contact with them btw? I can never get the chat to work, and I can't be bothered to find an email :P

I've asked a source at dell (same one who told us the details about the fingerprint scanner) to confirm this.

@Eason85: Mind coming back to us about that, should you receive a clear answer?

According to a customer service representative, it is apparently running 4x - but I'd take it with a grain of salt. Again: I'll doublecheck when I have my unit in hand, but if someone gets a clear answer beforehand I suppose we'll know anyway :)

Dell US page states it's thunderbolt 3 40Gb/s.

Note that that 40Gb/s is actually 32Gb/s because the DMI can't handle more. 40Gb/s is a marketing loophole that works because thunderbolt 3 itself is designed to handle up to 40Gb/s, but existing chipsets can't do it.

They're using Kaby Lake chipset which has more PCI/e chipset lanes, so I don't see why it's got a problem with providing the full bandwidth support.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

2 hours ago, SirBillyMays said:

@Eason85: Mind coming back to us about that, should you receive a clear answer?

According to a customer service representative, it is apparently running 4x - but I'd take it with a grain of salt. Again: I'll doublecheck when I have my unit in hand, but if someone gets a clear answer beforehand I suppose we'll know anyway :)

Of course! He replied immediately saying he would forward the question to the engineering team- but he himself anticipated it would be the same from the 9550. 

17 hours ago, Pendragon said:

That IS enticing to know about actually... Hell... it might even warrant disabling the dGPU entirely if possible... :D 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM, SirBillyMays said:

@Lillchillers: Feel free to post them, I'm personally in the Nordic region myself :P

Various support teams have said various things, if you'd like I can personally confirm it when I get my XPS 9560 (it should arrive before 13.2.2017), but someone else have probably checked it before me...

Can I ask how you got in contact with them btw? I can never get the chat to work, and I can't be bothered to find an email :P

You speak finish? :P

Here is a source in english:

Can understand it to some degree :P

Damn, that's a bummer... Let's hope that they get it right next time then! Personally I don't mind that much, but if they fix it in a generation or two I might actually sell the one I'm waiting on now :P

But then again, I bought it for the screen, CPU, battery capacity, price and size, so I don't think it's going to be an issue for me.

• 3 years later...

XPS 9560 has only 2 lanes: https://www.dell.com/support/article/cz/cs/czdhs1/qna44089/thunderbolt-3-40gbps-data-transfer-rate?lang=en