superserver 6015b-3

Hey guys I am going to install a new set of xeon processors, i was wondering if i am going to run into problems because the new processors are 1600 mhz and the motherboard is max 1333. Everything else matches up on the cpu's same socket, same family, same voltage.

8 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Likely no, if the CPU is on the supported list for the (presumably) server grade mono. It will likely limit the RAM to 1333 MHz, though.

thanks i had this server gave as a christmas present and im trying to turn it into a beast

3 minutes ago, superserver6015b-3 user said:

yeah

Xeon E5420 2.5 ghz

Xeon E5472 3.0 ghz 

Should be fine, the FSB should down clock the the maximum supported speed. You could do the safe route and get E5420s, unless your doing something very CPU intensive you won't notice the difference.

That board and those CPUs are very old though, I hope your getting a really good price on them. Intel Xeon 5500/5600 motherboard and CPUs are much better buys.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Should be fine, the FSB should down clock the the maximum supported speed. You could do the safe route and get E5420s, unless your doing something very CPU intensive you won't notice the difference.

That board and those CPUs are very old though, I hope your getting a really good price on them. Intel Xeon 5500/5600 motherboard and CPUs are much better buys.

the server was free and the 2 xeon 5472s were 39$ i thought it was probably a pretty good deal. Ive spent a little bit for a bluetooth 3.0 adapter and a couple pci-x to pcie risers

Edited by superserver6015b-3 user