What do I need to know about overclocking a monitor?

Railgun

I have an Acer G257HU smidpx that runs at 60hz and I would like to overclock it to 70 or 75. When you mess around with overclocking hardware such as your GPU you have to pay attention to things like voltage and heat. When it comes to monitors, however, I can't see how either of those are even observable. Do I need to take any special precautionary steps or can I just bump up the refresh rate to 75hz and not worry about it as long as it's stable?

also, what kind of effect would 15 extra Hertz have the durability and lifespan of my monitor?

Thanks

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

yes it will lower the lifespan of the monitor, use more power so generating more heat. 

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

It can kill it instantly, or you may get a 2 FPS boost, or you might get a 15 fps boost.

we're talking about monitors here

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes it will lower the lifespan of the monitor, use more power so generating more heat. 

I know that it will at least have SOME effect on the lifespan but what I would like to know is are we talking maybe -1 month or something greater than that

Yes, I did read the title :) .

Normally I would ask you to leave if all you are going to do is troll but you actually did help me notice a typo in the title so I guess I owe you 0.3 for that one

Just now, rrubberr said:

Oh come on, let's not pretend here, the statement I made can be applied to literally any part of your PC. I was just giving you some possible outcomes.

Last I checked the monitor doesn't enable you to run Crysis tho

5 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I know that it will at least have SOME effect on the lifespan but what I would like to know is are we talking maybe -1 month or something greater than that

as you may know its hard to predict electronic, it will depend on the case. 

Oh come on, let's not pretend here, the statement I made can be applied to literally any part of your PC. I was just giving you some possible outcomes.

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Nope! 

If the monitor supports it, it's literally just setting a refresh rate. OC to 85 or 80 is definitely bad for the monitor and can kill the inverter, but just a 75hz OC is nothing. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Nope! 

If the monitor supports it, it's literally just setting a refresh rate. OC to 85 or 80 is definitely bad for the monitor and can kill the inverter, but just a 75hz OC is nothing. 

it does have consequences but not that big of a deal i agree with that point. if OP wants to oc i would say go for it.  

I thought the point was taking a 60 Hz factory specced monitor to 75 or 80. If he's just right clicking the desktop and changing the adapter setting, of course there's no danger.

lolno it's not that simple

I thought the point was taking a 60 Hz factory specced monitor to 75 or 80. If he's just right clicking the desktop and changing the adapter setting, of course there's no danger.

Most monitors don't support it explicitly, but it's just setting the refresh rate higher. 

Some panels support it out of the box, like MSI laptops and some ViewSonic screens

idk

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

lolno it's not that simple

yup like cpu overclock of you overdo it you kill it, just have a realistic expectation and do expect it to be magic. personally 75 is the far as i would go for a safe overclock.  

I know, hence why my semi-trashy HP monitor went from 60 to 62 MHz successfully, and no higher :) .

1680x1050 10 year old Samsung monitor here

Hit 85hz at 1024x768 when I lowered the pixel clock, but the inverter kept shutting the monitor down every 5 mins

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

1680x1050 10 year old Samsung monitor here

Hit 85hz at 1024x768 when I lowered the pixel clock, but the inverter kept shutting the monitor down every 5 mins

Now I'm curious to see what I can get with an old viewsonic monitor I have

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

Now I'm curious to see what I can get with an old viewsonic monitor I have

Set it to 'CVT reduced blank'

and it allows you to try and push higher than 75 hz

idk

Anyways,

Thanks @Droidbot, @rrubberr, and @nerdslayer1 for the help. I understand the concept better now.

I also thought of overclocking a monitor, and there are guides out there on monitor overclocking. But the bad things to expect is there would be artifacting and wacky monitor behavior if you push your monitor's refresh rate too far, and mind you you do void the monitor's warranty by running the monitor out of spec, but chances of blowing up the monitor should be minimal if you take the right precautions.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-monitor-to-a-higher-refresh-rate/

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

4 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I also thought of overclocking a monitor, and there are guides out there on monitor overclocking. But the bad things to expect is there would be artifacting and wacky monitor behavior if you push your monitor's refresh rate too far, and mind you you do void the monitor's warranty by running the monitor out of spec, but chances of blowing up the monitor should be minimal if you take the right precautions.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-monitor-to-a-higher-refresh-rate/

past 75hz most modern monitors say 'out of range' or something similar

idk

Also, a completely off topic question from looking at your Workstation build plan, how complex of a scene does it take to take 3ds Max over 12 GB of VRAM?

The scene would have to be extremely complex, involving a large number of highly detailed models, high-resolution textures, and realistic lighting that is complex and would take a long time to calculate.

Even very realistic character rendering can take lots of VRAM if you do use realistic hair modeling through the programs in-built algorithms to generate realistic hair with hair physics or external plugins through Nvidia GameWorks or AMD GPUOpen that has HairWorks or TressFX respectively.

Maya and Blender, and other 3D programs that support GPU acceleration (either through CUDA and/or OpenCL) are the ones that will affect VRAM usage during the rendering or even the modeling process.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I was asking as a colleague more than anything, but was wondering because I've had Blender scenes with water simulations, caustics, and a a folder of 137 4096x4096 textures (dem' normal maps were over 50 mb apiece!) and tens of millions of triangles that luxrender has managed to cram into my puny 6 gb frame buffers, and was wondering if Luxrender had finally outpaced the competition :P (kidding, morbidly kidding). 

Oh don't worry. I shared my knowledge too as I do this stuff as well towards my game development major.

Cycles Render has used up 3.5GB of my GTX 960's VRAM before when I had some obnoxiously high poly counts enabled by, yours truly, high subdivision surface multipliers.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I'm glad someone asked here because I just ordered an AOC G2260VWQ6 (75Hz) and I'm wondering whether I can make it run at 96Hz.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I'm glad someone asked here because I just ordered an AOC G2260VWQ6 (75Hz) and I'm wondering whether I can make it run at 96Hz.

96hz? 

my mind can't tell if this is a joke

you can possibly hit 85 and risk the inverter

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

96hz? 

my mind can't tell if this is a joke

you can possibly hit 85 and risk the inverter

Just 85? That's a bummer :(

It runs at 75 out of the box

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

You guys should just by CRT's. Then you can run them at 160 Hz 1600x1200 OR 80-110 Hz at 2048x1024, but JEEBUS FORBID if you try to overclock one.

CRT too big, I have my computer literally behind my monitors.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

CRT too big, I have my computer literally behind my monitors.

RIP.. mine's on the floor. 

Poor 250D.

idk