Is intel cpu worth getting if I have amd

Hi,

I believe to have made a mistake on my first pc build. I was suggested to get an AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8 GHz along with the MSI 970A-G43 Plus motherboard. I now read online that the capacity of AMD cpu's will restrict your higher end gpu's compared to Intel. There can potentially be a difference of 30 FPS. Now I'm not sure what is considered a high end gpu in this case, but I currently have a GeForce Gtx 960 4GB G1 Gaming OC edition (Gigabyte). I also eventually plan to upgrade both cpu and gpu. Should I switch over to Intel? If I do, I'll also have to change motherboard as I don't think Intel is compatible with my current one.

5 minutes ago, Bencleboy said:

Hi,

I believe to have made a mistake on my first pc build. I was suggested to get an AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8 GHz along with the MSI 970A-G43 Plus motherboard. I now read online that the capacity of AMD cpu's will restrict your higher end gpu's compared to Intel. There can potentially be a difference of 30 FPS. Now I'm not sure what is considered a high end gpu in this case, but I currently have a GeForce Gtx 960 4GB G1 Gaming OC edition (Gigabyte). I also eventually plan to upgrade both cpu and gpu. Should I switch over to Intel? If I do, I'll also have to change motherboard as I don't think Intel is compatible with my current one.

Don't switch to Intel... Wait for Ryzen.  It's the smartest option.  For all we know, Ryzen will release beating the shit out of Intel and you are stuck with again, a new 'subpar' product.  
It's best to wait to see what everyone is bringing to the table.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

If you aren't planning this change immediately then I would suggest waiting for RYZEN and see how it performs. At best it's great, at worst, it shakes up CPU pricing. If the upgrade is imminent, then I would suggest and i5 as a minimum, preferably z170/z270 platform (or H equivalent with a non k cpu such as 6600 or 7600 if not planning to overclock) 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

You only have to wait two or so months if they really will release at the end of the quarter.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

A 960 isn't powerful enough for it to be noticeable restricted so you should be fine until you can upgrade. RYZEN will be available before the end of march so I suggest you take that into consideration as well.

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Ryzen will be a joke on an outdated process. Please stop.

Please, please, stop. At best it shakes up CPU pricing, at worst AMD goes bankrupt and is acquired by Intel or Nvidia, or even better, both.

You are joking, right?

Minus one or two leaked benchmarks and stuff, we have NO IDEA what Ryzen is really bringing.  We just know the CPU AMD leaked competes with a 6900K, and that it should be cheaper.  Other than that, nothing.
So it's best to wait.  You have no idea what Ryzen will be.

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Ryzen will be a joke on an outdated process. Please stop.

Please, please, stop. At best it shakes up CPU pricing, at worst AMD goes bankrupt and is acquired by Intel or Nvidia, or even better, both.

quote facts before you speak nonsense, you have no idea what will happen like the rest of us, hence why were saying "wait and see" 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Yes, that's a very "budget" for use of a polite word CPU.  You'll be significantly better off switching to Intel and it's not like Ryzen is going to come out and suddenly whatever you have becomes obsolete.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

The flip side is if Ryzen comes out and underwhelms then the demand for Intel will go up for the enthusiast. I would give it time just so you can make sure you're investing wisely. Not necessarily to get Ryzen but just to see.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yes, that's a very "budget" for use of a polite word CPU.  You'll be significantly better off switching to Intel and it's not like Ryzen is going to come out and suddenly whatever you have becomes obsolete.

Yes but you can always wait a little and possibly save money or get a better cpu than you could have prior. 

5 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

We know that the name is literally a bad pun from the early 2000's, and I think that's plenty. I also think I know exactly what Ryzen will bring in an 8-core flavour.

Power Consumption—Load (x264 HD 3.03 2nd Pass)

The FX 8150 isn't Ryzen though.

But whatever.  You do you man. 9_9

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but you can always wait a little and possibly save money or get a better cpu than you could have prior. 

Fatal error of assuming it's only a little wait.  They haven't announced a launch date nor have they indicated when it will actually be available in quantity.  Could be a half year before you can buy one.  Then we get back to the game of forever waiting for whatever is next.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

We know that the name is literally a bad pun from the early 2000's, and I think that's plenty. I also think I know exactly what Ryzen will bring in an 8-core flavour.

Power Consumption—Load (x264 HD 3.03 2nd Pass)

100% Opinion, 0% Fact 

Basically you know nothing.

come on guys. if Ryzen bombs AMD will end up licensing an older core architecture and selling budget CPUs like how they started. Anyway their using a new fabrication which will make them more power efficient. The only real challenge i see for AMD is the advances intel has in getting rid of the north bridge

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It's just so painful to hear someone say "let's wait and see" about a company with a VERY proven track record. No, looking at past flops from a company and saying "Wow, sounds like trash" is not stupidity, that's an educated inference.

intel has underperformed in the past too, look at P4 and early core2duo era. They had to scrap the P4 and go back to their P2 designs. I take it you are referring to AMD track record in introducing and patenting 64bit computing and the first x86 dual core processor?

6 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I see one: Intel spends their entire market cap on R&D twice a year.

that is a serious challenge for AMD but they must be getting good income from their console dominance. I dont know what their debt is like but consoles should bring in some steady income for a while. They've also got their chips in a lot of the budget laptops last year. Margins prob arent great but cheap laptops will get replaced more frequently.

One thing I'm hoping for is AMD shaking up intel to remove core locks, or they might turn evil and do what intel does? Intel has too many SKUs because of AMDs desktop failure

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 1/18/2017 at 0:41 AM, rrubberr said:

It's just so painful to hear someone say "let's wait and see" about a company with a VERY proven track record. No, looking at past flops from a company and saying "Wow, sounds like trash" is not stupidity, that's an educated inference.

Meanwhile, there's this friendly milk dud saying "100% Opinion, 0% Fact " when I at least took the time to take a 100% fact power draw chart; I mean, do you not see the irony there? If you want to go by current leaked becnchmarks, they show the 16 thread Ryzen (ahahahahahahahah punny) SERIOUSLY under performing a 6900k and most likely loosing to an OC'd 7700k.

I disregarded your 4+ year old chart because it quite simply is irrelevant, also leaked benchmarks are in no way shape or form an accurate representation of the final product since most if not all of the all the benchmarks we have seen have been with engineering samples.

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Now, I welcome you to a series I like to call "My computer is seven years old and 40% faster than Ryzen."

can you overclock that xeon? i think Ryzen will be twice the speed of your xeon; its old, uses DDR3, 32nm die, and is missing 7 years of x86 instruction set improvements

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Haha, seriously, though, I don't remember a 40%-speed-boost overclockable CPU core, that's an Nvidia GPU thing. But, again, this thread was about switching to Intel, and with Cannon lake coming in the second half of 2017, too, I'm not sure how well AMD is going to be able to compete, not only with CPU's from seven generations ago, but CPU's that will be around a generation from now.

you shouldnt be so pessimistic. they are using the 14nm die size so they will be now where as slow as the older chips

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Why did this turn into a pissing contest started by 1 fanbob?

Wait for Ryzen unless you want instant gratification and can spend quite a bit of money like i did.

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

2 hours ago, Bencleboy said:

Hi,

I too built an FX 4300 machine. After I was given an i3 2100 machine, I swapped my drives, 4GB Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 OC and 8Gb RAM into the i3 machine and noticed a substantial improvement.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, rrubberr said:

That's another CPU with a punny name, Netburst. I see a trend!

Now, I welcome you to a series I like to call "My computer is seven years old and 40% faster than Ryzen."

Capture.PNG

Not relevant to this topic, at all. You server chips and boards in your pc, I would expect single thread performance to be way ahead, but, again it's irrelevant as the OP is asking whether he should buy mainstream intel now, were saying wait (rumoured released at the moment is Feb 28th, so 6 weeks). And no I aint an AMD fan boy, on i7/1080 GTX here, just offering the best advice imo, not biasing it on my preference towards products. Remember Athlon 64...... I certainly do, it put a rocket up intel's arse to make improvements, they've been pretty shitty with the tick - tick - tock cycle recently hence why I have no reason to upgrade my 4790k, im hoping a shake up is around the corner, if there isnt, we lose nothing, but gain nothing also 

Ryzen Ram Guide

Pretty sure cannonlake aint out until the end of the year, thats a long wait. 

Ryzen Ram Guide

" Cannon Lake and Coffee Lake processors are expected to be made available starting in late 2017 and early 2018."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/new-leak-may-have-exposed-details-of-intels-coffee-lake-and-cannon-lake-processors/

Ryzen Ram Guide

14 hours ago, Strike105X said:

With that motherboard you cant upgrade your cpu, so regardless of what you choose you will also need to change the motherboard. The reason is that it has a horrible power phase design (also known as vrm) without even a heatsink, and wont be able to handle a FX83XX cpu, hell even 63xx is stretching it, that's how bad it is.

Then I'll just buy a new motherboard when I get a new CPU. I can easily wait a couple months, so I'll wait and see how the Ryzen ends up then proceed to buy what's best. Any suggestions on a motherboard? Are they AMD/Intel specific?