What is star citizen

fiberzs is dad
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

Space sim + first person shooter + economy sim + IDK what else.

It is still in development.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Space sim + first person shooter + economy sim + IDK what else.

sounds like something i would play thanks

42 minutes ago, fiberzs is dad said:

sounds like something i would play thanks

As someone who backed starcitizen early on, i would recommend holding off on paying for it. Its is FAR from complete and really lacks any real gameplay. Its a shell of a game at this point and with the way things are looking that may be all it ever becomes. Developers with a shady past and consistent lying to the community should be very offputting to anyone who has interest in the game.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

12 minutes ago, bob345 said:

As someone who backed starcitizen early on, i would recommend holding off on paying for it. Its is FAR from complete and really lacks any real gameplay. Its a shell of a game at this point and with the way things are looking that may be all it ever becomes. Developers with a shady past and consistent lying to the community should be very outputting to anyone who has interest in the game.

eyy

Didn't take long. @fiberzs is dad do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Don't listen to anyone. They'll try and affect your judgement (including pro-SC people like me).

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

12 hours ago, stconquest said:

I'm reminded of how wonderful another highly anticipated game with long development time turned out... *cough**Duke Nukem**cough*

1 hour ago, Yamoto42 said:

I'm reminded of how wonderful another highly anticipated game with long development time turned out... *cough**Duke Nukem**cough*

I miss not knowing sometimes.  One day you wake up and skim the news to discover that a new iteration of TES was just released and immediately available to play... after like five years.  That feels good to me.

3 hours ago, Yamoto42 said:

I know I have bias but the development for Star Citizen is pretty short still so far compared with other titles. We just know about development right from the start with Star Citizen. Fallout 4 was apparently in development right after they finished fallout 3, 2008 - 2016 is 8 years or if you go from skyrim to fallout 4 its still 2011 - 2016 with is 5 years development. I wouldn't say its scary lengths of development yet.

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

2 hours ago, abyss03 said:

I know I have bias but the development for Star Citizen is pretty short still so far compared with other titles. We just know about development right from the start with Star Citizen. Fallout 4 was apparently in development right after they finished fallout 3, 2008 - 2016 is 8 years or if you go from skyrim to fallout 4 its still 2011 - 2016 with is 5 years development. I wouldn't say its scary lengths of development yet.

Id say its a pretty lengthy amount of time to still not have anything resembling a finished game. Elite:Dangerous much like star citizen started development with crowdfunding in 2012. They aimed for a launch date in 2014 and they hit it. They got a fraction of the money that star citizen did, and yet they still came out with a completed game that is still getting more and more features to this day.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

15 hours ago, bob345 said:

Id say its a pretty lengthy amount of time to still not have anything resembling a finished game. Elite:Dangerous much like star citizen started development with crowdfunding in 2012. They aimed for a launch date in 2014 and they hit it. They got a fraction of the money that star citizen did, and yet they still came out with a completed game that is still getting more and more features to this day.

the difference being that Elite is just a space sim. All you can do is fly around and have dogfights in ur ship. SC is doing SO MUCH MORE, Mixing all the game types into one is a far more complicated thing to do. If they just wanted SC to be a space sim like elite it would have been released by now.

I have no signature

On 1/18/2017 at 6:00 AM, Yamoto42 said:

Duke Nukem Forever wasn't a bad game, it stuck to the core of what a Duke Nukem game was it's just that thematically the ship has sailed past what made the original Duke Nukem entertaining (persona, humor, pop-culture references, etc) because they waited too long to the point to that everyone who would have cared about it moved on to other things.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:49 AM, bob345 said:

1) Elite is not a comparable game because it's only a space sim with rovers whereas star citizen is going to be 4 games in 1 (arena commander, star marine, PU, Squadron 42) each one needing the same solid foundation to work on (hence why their moving to Amazon Lumberyard because Crytek doesn't exist anymore) and work with each other to make a seamless experience.

2) A game of this type has not been done before, and the general turn around for MMO type games is almost always more than 5 years, and they only have one game mode and to dispel any confusion this is an MMO because people assume MMO = MMORPG this game in an acronym would be MMOFPSSSRPG (Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Space Sim Role Playing Game)

3) To further press the point, they got a fraction of the money because they made a fraction of a game, upon release they had ships and some basic missions to do but the most accurate description at the time was "vast but shallow" (i know this because i was a beta backer). meaning that there were a great many places to go but not a lot to do, and to make a good amount of money you had to be a trader. I would hardly say the game was complete.

On 18/01/2017 at 8:49 PM, bob345 said:

Yes they hit the target because they had started development before 2012 and used assets of cancelled Elite games, the last time I checked there forums they are doing a complete overhaul of the weapons systems, something I wouldn't expect from a finished game.

13 minutes ago, rentaspoon said:

Yes they hit the target because they had started development before 2012 and used assets of cancelled Elite games, the last time I checked there forums they are doing a complete overhaul of the weapons systems, something I wouldn't expect from a finished game.

that "complete weapons overhaul" is just a rebalancing of the weapons. Some get nerfed and some get buffed. Something that happens in, you know, every online multi-player game. Also, starcitizn was under development well before then as well. Just look at the gameplay sc showed off in 2012.

10 minutes ago, bob345 said:

that "complete weapons overhaul" is just a rebalancing of the weapons. Some get nerfed and some get buffed. Something that happens in, you know, every online multi-player game. Also, starcitizn was under development well before then as well. Just look at the gameplay sc showed off in 2012.

What you mean the one where he could just fly around in space with the carrier that had no animation or the trailer they released which Sean Tracy done in his spare time? Elite had way moret than that done. Also it's a complete change to weapon types not just some, it fundamentally changes peoples gameplay choices and tactics, that's not just buffs and nerfs

2 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

What you mean the one where he could just fly around in space with the carrier that had no animation or the trailer they released which Sean Tracy done in his spare time? Elite had way moret than that done. Also it's a complete change to weapon types not just some, it fundamentally changes peoples gameplay choices and tactics, that's not just buffs and nerfs

Like i said before the weapon changes are FAR from a complete overhaul. Its not hard to look up what was actually changed. It was literally nothing but slight changes to damage and shield modifiers. Also, if you look are the first released footage of elite dangerous gameplay, its not all that different than star citizens. All there was was a asteroid field and ships with no interior. You can try and defend star citizen all you want, but that still doesn't change the fact that they have hardly gotten anywhere near a functional game even though they received MANY times the amount frontier did for E:D. I backed starcitizen back in 2012 with a hope of it becoming a great game. That hope quickly died as they kept lying to the community over and over and over again.

7 hours ago, bob345 said:

That hope quickly died as they kept lying to the community over and over and over again.

still waiting for specifics from the haters... so lets get it out there, what lies are you talking about here? Don't say release dates, we all know software developers always give the wrong dates, and the last few times they said that they're AIMING for a date, not promising to make it.

I have no signature

4 hours ago, Helly said:

still waiting for specifics from the haters... so lets get it out there, what lies are you talking about here? Don't say release dates, we all know software developers always give the wrong dates, and the last few times they said that they're AIMING for a date, not promising to make it.

HA i wouldn't be mad if it was just about release dates. What pisses me off is how they have lied constantly about progress, about how close they are to finishing sq42 and etc. Years go by and then they say they just now started working on major assets for sq42 and how the PU is almost complete aswell. The just keep bouncing back and forth trying to keep people interested. Thats only a tiny fraction of the real issue though. They claimed that all the money that was gathered through their crowdfunding campaign would go towards the actual game. To hire more talent and to have many more qualified people to be working on it. That obviously never happened. CIG has hardly grown at all. They are Wasting so much money on trivial things like those very high production value youtube videos that only exist to keep people interested. That right there is a significant amount of money that is not being used in development. Someone really needs to get an audit done. They have already put quite a bit of effort into avoiding audits in the past which shows me that they really have something to hide. With the over 100 million dollars the have gotten so far in their crowd sourcing campaign, we should be seeing so real progress. The sad thing is we are not.

you do understand that all of the youtube stuff, around the verse, the lore videos, bugsmashers, and the live streams on friday are all paid for by subscribers and not from the development fund right?

5 hours ago, bob345 said:

HA i wouldn't be mad if it was just about release dates. What pisses me off is how they have lied constantly about progress, about how close they are to finishing sq42 and etc. Years go by and then they say they just now started working on major assets for sq42 and how the PU is almost complete aswell. The just keep bouncing back and forth trying to keep people interested. Thats only a tiny fraction of the real issue though. They claimed that all the money that was gathered through their crowdfunding campaign would go towards the actual game. To hire more talent and to have many more qualified people to be working on it. That obviously never happened. CIG has hardly grown at all. They are Wasting so much money on trivial things like those very high production value youtube videos that only exist to keep people interested. That right there is a significant amount of money that is not being used in development. Someone really needs to get an audit done. They have already put quite a bit of effort into avoiding audits in the past which shows me that they really have something to hide. With the over 100 million dollars the have gotten so far in their crowd sourcing campaign, we should be seeing so real progress. The sad thing is we are not.

Which  "high production value videos" are you referring to exactly? Do you mean the ones that are shot in-game, using those fabled assets and mechanics that you claim don't exist and most of which are currently also at our disposal to play around with? Or do you mean the update series like Around The Verse etc, which are funded separately by subscribers and do not take a penny from the development money?

3 minutes ago, Corwin111 said:

Which  "high production value videos" are you referring to exactly? Do you mean the ones that are shot in-game, using those fabled assets and mechanics that you claim don't exist and most of which are currently also at our disposal to play around with? Or do you mean the update series like Around The Verse etc, which are funded separately by subscribers and do not take a penny from the development money?

I'm talking about crap like this. Do you know how much it costs to do motion control animations like that? Thats allot of money down the drain for nothing other than a hype building series.

Also, where did i ever claim that the assets shown dont exist? Also, what we currently have access too you can hardly call a game. Its nothing more than a space station sim mixed with generic a cryengine fps and a hardly working dogfight module. What doesn't exist is the companies ability to create a game with functioning mechanics and gameplay. Like i said before, i backed the game back in 2012. Ever seine the first public alpha, there has been no solid substance added. Just over hyped "modules" that are not much more than cryengine tech demos.

28 minutes ago, bob345 said:

I'm talking about crap like this. Do you know how much it costs to do motion control animations like that? Thats allot of money down the drain for nothing other than a hype building series.

Also, where did i ever claim that the assets shown dont exist? Also, what we currently have access too you can hardly call a game. Its nothing more than a space station sim mixed with generic a cryengine fps and a hardly working dogfight module. What doesn't exist is the companies ability to create a game with functioning mechanics and gameplay. Like i said before, i backed the game back in 2012. Ever seine the first public alpha, there has been no solid substance added. Just over hyped "modules" that are not much more than cryengine tech demos.

You are wilfully ignorant or misinformed in regards to what they have in terms of assets and tech at the moment. Everything in that video, from the models and textures, through the facial animation tech, to the the motion capture rigs are already their property. I'm not sure who the voice actor is, but I presume it's one of the ones they have recording SQ42 voiceovers atm. What making this video cost them extra is the power it took to record and render. 

It cost a little bit more than this player made one:

And again. However little it may have cost, it came out of the subscribers, who volunteer to pay money for the express purpose of such videos and programs being made. It has nothing to do with the development fund. It is a separate revenue source whose PURPOSE is the creation of such materials.

2 minutes ago, Corwin111 said:

Im ignorant? Im not the one saying all it costs is the power and time used to render it. Its clear you have no clue what kind of costs are involved in making a video like that let alone multiple. And them buying all their own motion control equipment and a open warehouse where they can use it? that is another huge problem. It would be far cheaper to outsource that kind of work especially considering where they are located. That is even more money that doesn't directly go towards development. You can be as big a fanboy as you want but it doesn't make you right. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see the game succeed, but we are so far past the point of no return now that a collapse is not going to be all that far off. Between the mismanagement of the company to the complete unorganized chaos that the devs work in its only a matter of time. If you thought no mans sky was a dissapointment, that will be nothing compared to cig.

15 minutes ago, bob345 said:

Im ignorant? Im not the one saying all it costs is the power and time used to render it. Its clear you have no clue what kind of costs are involved in making a video like that let alone multiple. And them buying all their own motion control equipment and a open warehouse where they can use it? that is another huge problem. It would be far cheaper to outsource that kind of work especially considering where they are located. That is even more money that doesn't directly go towards development. You can be as big a fanboy as you want but it doesn't make you right. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see the game succeed, but we are so far past the point of no return now that a collapse is not going to be all that far off. Between the mismanagement of the company to the complete unorganized chaos that the devs work in its only a matter of time. If you thought no mans sky was a dissapointment, that will be nothing compared to cig.

Fanboying is not my style. I merely state demonstrable facts. They do own their own motion capture studio and what you see in this video is all existing in-game assets, which are currently renderable in real time in their engine, as evidenced by the other video I posted. You tell me how much extra you believe it would cost to make, if you already have these two things, as well as actors and writers already on your payroll. :) 

1 minute ago, Corwin111 said:

I merely state demonstrable facts.

No, No you're not.

You just dont understand. Its not a matter of if the assets can be rendered in real time. There is SO much more work that goes to do motion control 3d than just setting up the camera and motion capture equipment and reciting a script. Those assets dont animate themselves. They dont debug themselves. And another thing, you are severely mistaken if you think they use "director mode" for videos like the one i posted. That would all be done in either lumberyard(cryengine) or 3ds max or equivalent. It seems to me like there is a sever misunderstanding on how development works.