YouTube comments on the LinusTechTips channel are awful.

Squidblimp

Everyone hates on the new thumbnails. They don't give constructive criticism, they just say they suck. I personally like the goofy nature of the thumbnails, fits Linus and his team IMO, but I guess they aren't as "sleek" but they aren't boring anymore.

Secondly, anyone who isn't Luke or Linus gets huge hate when they host an episode. The new asian dude, who isn't bad at all, kinda like him actually, gets called a faggot in comments.

It's disgusting really.

Edited by Squidblimp

2 hours ago, Squidblimp said:

Everyone hates on the new thumbnails. They don't give constructive criticism, they just say they suck. I personally like the goofy nature of the thumbnails, fits Linus and his team IMO, but I guess they aren't as "sleek" but they aren't boring anymore.

Secondly, anyone who isn't Luke or Linus gets huge hate when they host an episode. The new asian dude, who isn't bad at all, kinda like him actually, gets called a faggot in comments.

It's disgusting really.

The "new asian dude"? Do you mean Edzil? He's a co-founder of the company, along with Luke and Linus. He's literally one of the oldest employees, and holds some sort of share in the company.

I agree, many youtube comments are simply cancer.

But there are valid complaints about the thumbnails. Linus is a bit silly. No questioning that. But the thumbnails they're posting lately would belong more with a Pewdiepie video, not LTT. They're overly silly. Like, literally, one was him making a pouty/duck face.

I do not think it fits their team at all. Even at their silliest and jankiest, before they had money, they made better thumbnails, that were stylish and clean.

To simply criticize for the sake of it is bad. But to provide constructive feedback is very good, even if you personally don't like that feedback. They seem to be catering towards their younger audience, and also towards YouTube random clicks and views.

Maybe that's cool for most people. Maybe you're a younger viewer that relates to the *LOL I'M SURPRISED* pose in the thumbs. But I personally do not like it at all, and miss their more professional-yet-fun videos and thumbnails that came around 1 to 2 years ago.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

*Youtube comments are awful.

They're just disgusting, and they're getting worse.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

11 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

*Youtube comments are awful.

They're just disgusting, and they're getting worse.

Comments on any platform where there is no consistent moderation is going to be cancerous.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Yeah I don't get why YT and other large under-moderated communities are so terrible. It's like they bring out the worst parts in humanity.

Mast people only gets one set of balls and mainly that's on the internet.

I do agree that thumbnails has become a little..."meh". Linus has almost always been over-excited in his videos which is fine (who isn't about tech), but doesn't look to be as serious as it was. Who knows, maybe they feel they want to change some few bits of the show. Afterall it's their call to make it as they wish. :)

5 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Comments on any platform where there is no consistent moderation is going to be cancerous.

I'm surprised that this isn't known. I mean yeah you post a comment as someone but that someone is still anonymous.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Nobody on their deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time reading internet comments."

You're feeling crappy right now, I can tell. It's probably because you read a comments section.

If you have a choice between reading the comments and, well, doing anything else with your life... that seems like an easy choice.

Whenever you see a smiling child, remember: she's never read a comment in her life, and she's doing just fine.

-@AvoidComments

The thumbnails are terrible though.

I still don't get why ppl are getting a knot in their panties over some thumbnails... Did you not get relevant info on the product seen in the thumbnail ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

9 hours ago, Squidblimp said:

It's disgusting really.

Nice try Linus, Luke and asian dude!

I couldn't care less about the thumbnails as long as the Video has everything i need inside of it, and they do.

But yeah, YT Comments are really something else.

The thumbnails are really annoying. I definitely gotta admit that. Again YouTube comment section is mostly filled with annoying fools

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

4 minutes ago, Rohit Jackdaw said:

The thumbnails are really annoying. I definitely gotta admit that. Again YouTube comment section is mostly filled with annoying fools

for the past six to eight months, you could say the same for the people in the youtube videos too

BITD whenever I was looking up parts that I considered buying,  I'd always look up Linus' NCIX videos or those from the early days of LTT for an unboxing or a short review.  Content was informative back then, and that was reflected by the YT comments too. 

Nowadays however it's all "look at me drill a hole in a server motherboard and see if I can revive a laptop after leaving it out in the rain".  There is almost zero usable information in those videos (even though Luke is trying to sneak in educational vids every now and then and Tech Quickie does have its good ones too), so of course you're going to attract people who are out for sensation rather than content.  And that's reflected in the comments.

It's sad really.  They had a good thing going and threw it all away for more clicks and more ad revenue. 

Meanwhile I use a chrome plugin to completely remove the comments section just because of the cancer it generates...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I still don't get why ppl are getting a knot in their panties over some thumbnails... Did you not get relevant info on the product seen in the thumbnail ?

Meanwhile your point of view is fully valid, one could say that LTT was always what seemed the elite of high end consumer's tech, this forum here is clean and polished to the maximum, the youtube channels were always filled with the most professional touch to them, Linus always along side his script writers managed to make a fun and humorous show filled with awesome content that literally educates anyone in the field of informatics.

Now these new titles and thumbnails they are giving a very amateur touch to the LTT, like stated it looks like some cheap game streamer like pewdiepie(wish he hadn't lied about deleting the channel, never liked the guy).

So that's it, LTT seems to be starting to aim a different viewers target than us the everyday tech savvy to try bringing children in or something, and what better to lure them than colourful thumbnails.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

16 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Meanwhile I use a chrome plugin to completely remove the comments section just because of the cancer it generates...

or you could just not scroll down

- snip-

9 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

or you could just not scroll down

And miss out on suggested content? No.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

17 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

or just not read to comments

The new notification system in youtube is just so bad, and user unfriendly, before you could just open the bell, see the entire comment chain, reply, give thumbs up, watch the video literally do all without even leaving the page you were on, now these new notification are just a over polluted full comment on a small box that if you click redirects you to the video but not to the comment itself, completely worthless... I already wasn't using much the comment section of youtube but now I don't use it at all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

for the past six to eight months, you could say the same for the people in the youtube videos too

Be careful there Prysin. Too much salt is bad for the heart.

12 hours ago, Squidblimp said:

YouTube comments are awful.

Fixed it for you. Reading through any YT comments is bit like wading around in a sewer and wondering why it smells like shit.