PC in 5.25" bay?

kelvinhall05

I want to know if it's possible to fit a computer with at least a 2c/4t Pentium (or AMD equivalent), at least 4gb of RAM, and at least 32gb of storage into a 5.25" drive bay. Would this work? I don't really have a budget, so just suggest stuff, as this is just out of curiosity, and I (probably) won't be doing this.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I want to know if it's possible to fit a computer with at least a 2c/4t Pentium (or AMD equivalent), at least 4gb of RAM, and at least 32gb of storage into a 5.25" drive bay. Would this work? I don't really have a budget, so just suggest stuff, as this is just out of curiosity, and I (probably) won't be doing this.

maybe you can take a NUC, take it apart, and fit it in a 5.25 drawer. though that might be a tad unsafe.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

For some reason I really love the idea of this... Imagine a full tower case where the whole front of the case is populated with a dozen hot swappable  5.25" servers ?

pico-ITX? You might be able to do it with a laptop board.

VIA_Mainboards_Form_Factor_Comparison.jp

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

off the shelf, your best bet would be something like a raspberry pi, if you're okay with experimenting and voiding the devil out of your warranty on something like an intel nuc, gigabyte brix, or whatever the hell else small formfactor they make, with some creativity you could probably pack some decent performance in one bay.

8 hours ago, Cylon Muffins said:

For some reason I really love the idea of this... Imagine a full tower case where the whole front of the case is populated with a dozen hot swappable  5.25" servers ?

Welcome to the concept of a blade server :P

400px-Bladecenter-front.jpg

11 hours ago, Kevinhkn said:

A raspberry pi and download some ram

:)

Download RAM?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

11 hours ago, manikyath said:

off the shelf, your best bet would be something like a raspberry pi, if you're okay with experimenting and voiding the devil out of your warranty on something like an intel nuc, gigabyte brix, or whatever the hell else small formfactor they make, with some creativity you could probably pack some decent performance in one bay.

Could I record my main rig with something like a RPi?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Could I record my main rig with something like a RPi?

as in a screen recording? oh boy hell no xD

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

as in a screen recording? oh boy hell no xD

What could I use to screen record then?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Welcome to the concept of a blade server :P

400px-Bladecenter-front.jpg

at some point i was considering DIY'ing my own blade center with those asrock boards that have a cpu soldered to them, but that would still be bigger than a 5.25" bay, and when looking into the cost, gotta count in you have to essentially engineer your own backplane as well :P

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What could I use to screen record then?

some intel nuc/gigabyte brix/whatever other brand of tiny pc, at least i3, preferably i5.