Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Accursed Entity

Bad Motherboard?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I seriously need help, cause I keep spending money on new PC parts but nothing.

Problem:

● 2 year old system stops booting. Mobo is dead, lighting storm happened by that time.
● Bought new mobo, CPU, RAM and kept the AX860i PSU from old build.
● New PC shuts down randomly and won't turn on unless I wait a couple of hours. PSU is thought to be faulty.
● Replaced the AX860i PSU with the EVGA G2 650 PSU(NEW).
● PC turns on with new PSU, but shuts down after awhile( anywhere from 10 min-2hrs) randomly.

PC Specs:

CPU: i3 6100
RAM: 8GB FuryX DDR4
MOBO: MSI H110i Pro ITX
PSU: EVGA G2 650
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7
OTHER: 1 HDD, 1 SSD and 3 System Fans

What I've done:

● Breadboard! First thing I did, out of the case. Only 24 pin and 4 pin PSU cables connected, and HDMI cable, PC shuts down later on anyways. ALL cables connectors are checked, including front panel connectors.
● Moved the PC and used another power outlet(just in case).
● Reseated CPU coolers(both stock and after market) a couple of times.
● Reseated RAM, checked with one stick, ran memtest(they passed).
● When the PC boots, I've done stress tests to CPU and the PC doesn't shut down.
● PC shuts down randomly regardless of what I'm doing, load, idle and even in the BIOS. It just happens.

TEMPS:

Idle
CPU: 26°C
GPU: 29°C

Load
CPU: 59°C
GPU: 64°C

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Possible that the old PSU did in the other new parts. Generally keeping the thing that feeds parts current after it's done "a bad" is a bad idea. Make sure no screws are shorting on the new mobo, and maybe check GPU in another system.

MY WORKSTATION IS FROM 2011 SEND HELP

SuperMicro 745TQ-R1200B: 2x Xeon E5-2697V2, 240GB DDR3, Vega VII, LSI 9260-8i, LSI 9272-8i, 2x1200 watt PSUs

Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Possible that the old PSU did in the other new parts. Generally keeping the thing that feeds parts current after it's done "a bad" is a bad idea. Make sure no screws are shorting on the new mobo, and maybe check GPU in another system.

Maybe the old PSU damaged the mobo right? I posted the GPU info but now I'm not using the GPU. It is happening without it. Maybe I show buy another mobo again. Forgot to say that when it shuts down, I do the paper clip and the PSU does turn on and it turns on the system fans as well.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

1 minute ago, Accursed Entity said:

Maybe the old PSU damaged the mobo right? I posted the GPU info but now I'm not using the GPU. It is happening without it. Maybe I show buy another mobo again. Forgot to say that when it shuts down, I do the paper clip and the PSU does turn on and it turns on the system fans as well.

Yeah, it's possible that the old PSU damaged the new stuff.

Jeez, I would toss the whole thing out and not risk frying another batch of parts. That really sucks.

MY WORKSTATION IS FROM 2011 SEND HELP

SuperMicro 745TQ-R1200B: 2x Xeon E5-2697V2, 240GB DDR3, Vega VII, LSI 9260-8i, LSI 9272-8i, 2x1200 watt PSUs