Easy 10x Network Speed Upgrade

17 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Certainly, your Collection of electronics is a perfectly cromulent sample of what is normal.

On that note, 4 bay NASs are now normal and CRTs are normal because I own 3.

...So you don't consider current generation game consoles, nearly every laptop (That has ethernet at ALL) manufactured in the last 6-8 years at least, desktop PCs, last or the majority of consumer routers to be a 'normal' example of consumer electronics?

I'm often annoyed by how slow transfers are from my PC to my NAS and vice versa, unfortunately mine is not user-upgradable. Or at least not the NICs. I tried using teaming a while back but because of a host of applications I run on the NAS it needs one of the ports to be connected to the internet. I wish there was like a 10GbE USB 3.0 adapter I could use since it does have 2 USB 3.0 ports, but I haven't found anything like it. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

...So you don't consider current generation game consoles, nearly every laptop (That has ethernet at ALL) manufactured in the last 6-8 years at least, desktop PCs, last or the majority of consumer routers to be a 'normal' example of consumer electronics?

I worked first-line support at an ISP for a few months last year and you would be surprised by the amount of 250Mbps subscription customers that had 100Mbps computers.

New products mostly have Gbps Ethernet (except the really low end stuff like you said), but A LOT of average Joes have computers that are pretty old.

To everyone recommending SFP+ solutions, please bear in mind that those require you to buy the SFPs as well, which aren't exactly free. On top of that you need the fiber cables as well, which might require you to rerun cables (which can be a pain in the ass).

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I worked first-line support at an ISP for a few months last year and you would be surprised by the amount of 250Mbps subscription customers that had 100Mbps computers.

New products mostly have Gbps Ethernet (except the really low end stuff like you said), but A LOT of average Joes have computers that are pretty old.

To everyone recommending SFP+ solutions, please bear in mind that those require you to buy the SFPs as well, which aren't exactly free. On top of that you need the fiber cables as well, which might require you to rerun cables (which can be a pain in the ass).

I may be wrong, not sure, but isn't the regular ethernet port in everything a 1GBps port? In order to need a 10GBps one for Internet (not file transfer on the intranet) you would need connections higher than 1GBps. So a 250MBps Internet connection works fine on any regular ethernet port. I do like this modem as I believe all houses being built from now on should be equipped for Gigabit Internet (cat6), Internet speeds are growing up fast, specially with the new experiments being done with old phone land lines that could bring Gigabit Internet to everyone, without requiring fiber.

Edit: I wish they had 3 10Gbps ports in this modem so you could link more of them.

25 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I may be wrong, not sure, but isn't the regular ethernet port in everything a 1GBps port?

Nope. But 100Mbps Ethernet is (or at least should be) very uncommon these days (in consumer stuff).

But some people still seem to hold on to stuff like their ~10 year old Atom based netbooks.

19 hours ago, DrewHugentobler said:

I've been using a routerboard CRS210-8G-2S+IN for over a year and it is cheaper and was plug and play for me. Just bought SFP+ adapters and cables for server and desktop(<50$) and let my modem be the DHCP. Why has Linus never reviewed a microtik/routerboard product?

Mikrotik recently introduced the CSS326-24G-2S+RM, a layer 2 managed switch with 24 Gigabit Ethernet ports and two 10 Gig SFP+ slots.

CSS is a new line of layer 2 managed switches, they run SwOS instead of RouterOS.

The suggested retail price of this model is $139... Cheap for a 10 Gig switch.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Nope. But 100Mbps Ethernet is (or at least should be) very uncommon these days (in consumer stuff).

But some people still seem to hold on to stuff like their ~10 year old Atom based netbooks.

Well, I'm sure those people holding to that kind of technology for sure aren't interested on getting anything beyond the basic Internet plan  into their house, so they wouldn't be checking on this kind of stuff.

On 1/18/2017 at 3:21 PM, Just.Oblivious said:

https://routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusRM

Same price as the Asus, but with 24 Gigabit Ethernet ports and two 10 Gigabit SFP+ slots.

It's also a fully managed layer 2 and 3 switch (running RouterOS), the Asus is (surprisingly enough) completely unmanaged!

Layer3 hmmm, is a bit slow but it'll do in a pinch. The new switch os based device is half price though.

On 1/19/2017 at 6:32 PM, LAwLz said:

Weird how several new/previous abandoned accounts all of a sudden show up in this thread and recommend products from the same brand and website.... 

There's very little overlap between the gaming community and enterprise / server / network geek community. LTT is heavily skewed towards gamers except for a once in a while Linus screwing up backups video, or playing with server stuff.

Also, for balance, Ubiquiti has had edgeswitch-lite with 10G uplinks, not sure what the pricing is like on that, but it's also SFP+ not 10GBASE-T

• 1 month later...