Smart Home/IoT/Connected/Security/Automation Subforum

d3sl91

Hi All,

I see this was asked a few months ago, but wanted to bring up again. With CES2017 come and gone, the popularity and number of Smart Home/Connected devices are growing more and more every year.

Alexa/Echo, Google Home, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Phillips Hue Bulbs, Cameras and Security systems. Even the new Shield TV will be able to turn into a Smart Home Hub through partnership with Samsung's SmartThings. Smart home (and related) Technologies are growing at a fast rate, are no longer cost-prohibitive for nearly as many, and are more and more common as a standard feature in newer homes. It's also no longer a "geek only" item, with things like the Echo and Phillips Hue being HUGE sellers this holiday season as stocking stuffers and gifts.

I feel it is close to time to include a section for these Smart/Connected devices. I would envision something encompassing:

Smart Devices (Bulbs, Switches, Outlets, Locks, Water Meters, thermostats, Appliances),

Smart Hubs (SmartThings, Wink, Vera, Homebrew),

Smart Home Security (Cameras, Sensors, etc),

Home Automation

Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit

IoT Devices

Whether it is actually time for this or not, is up to the Mods - but here's my vote to have it added sooner than later. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I second this, with the $40 Echo introduction, many people are getting them just to try them out, even I got one that I don't know what to do with, I just use her for the grocery list and an occasional joke (all the time). It would be nice to have a Subforum where you could talk about it and get more info on them, maybe learn what you can do and stuff.

So far content has been less than VR and imo isn't cluttering general.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I second the vote. I feel it isn't an issue of whether or not it's cluttering general, but having a place to easily click and find the information and like minded people for the iot devices. Honestly, if there was a section for iot I believe the content would grow. Personally, I haven't posted on iot because there isn't a section for it and I don't want to just get lost in general. 

Personally, I would love a section for Home automation since that is what I am currently getting into since I just installed the NEST thermostat just a few minutes ago and I kinda want to see more things that deal with it. Need to expand the horizons so draw more people in.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520