Will a NH-u12s fit in a CM Master Box 5?

Javiek

I am currently planning out my build for a Core i5 7600k on a Asus z170-A, and planning to put it all in a CM master Box 5.  I do plan to do some modest over clocking, and for those purposes I would like to put in a NH-u12s, however, I am unsure of it will all fit in the case.  Also, if anyone has a better solution for cooling my cpu, recommendations are welcome (air cooling specifically).

5 minutes ago, Javiek said:

I am currently planning out my build for a Core i5 7600k on a Asus z170-A, and planning to put it all in a CM master Box 5.  I do plan to do some modest over clocking, and for those purposes I would like to put in a NH-u12s, however, I am unsure of it will all fit in the case.  Also, if anyone has a better solution for cooling my cpu, recommendations are welcome (air cooling specifically).

Why do you buy a kabylake cpu with a z170 chipset is that even possible? buy a z270 chipset.

I don't know the case so I can't help you with that sorry..

You need a Z270 board because the z170 board needs a bios update unless it accepts a USB to do a update.

The geek himself.

8 minutes ago, Mark17 said:

Why do you buy a kabylake cpu with a z170 chipset is that even possible?

Yes it is, just flash the BIOS.

Apparently Q-Flash lets you flash it without CPU or even RAM being installed.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Yeah, it would require the bios update but 7th and 6th gen Core i5 should work on the z170, and the reason for kaby lake is since I'm not upgrading to me the difference in price is worth the performance increase although it is not very much. But the main concern here is cooling for over clocking in that case.

16 minutes ago, Javiek said:

get a z270 motherboard, and yes it will.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/masterbox-5-black/

s4_pic.png

Cooler Specification

Intel LGA2011-0 & LGA2011-3 (Square ILM), LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1151, LGA1150 & AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+ (backplate required)
Height (without fan)
158 mm
Width (without fan)
125 mm
Depth (without fan)
45 mm
Height (with fan)
158 mm
Width (with fan)
125 mm
Depth (with fan)
71 mm
Weight (without fan)
580 g
Weight (with fan/s)
755 g
Material
Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating
Max. TDP
see TDP guide
Fan compatibility
120x120x25
Scope of Delivery
  • NF-F12 PWM premium fan
  • Low-Noise Adaptor (L.N.A.)
  • NT-H1 high-grade thermal compound
  • SecuFirm2™ Mounting Kit
  • Anti-vibration pads and fan-clips for second NF-F12
  • Noctua Metal Case-Badge
Warranty
6 Years

Thank you for the recommendations!  I will probably go with the z270 save myself the trouble.

For the cooler, what are you looking for? U12S is good pick, but you can also get pretty much any other cooler. U14S will fit too, so does D15.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The goal is for a 4.8 GHz clock speed on the processor with an air cooler, so I was looking for something that would help me run cool and still fit in my rig. I have been going back and forth weighing price, performance, and or course aesthetics.  I think I am settling on lowest possible temp at a 60-80 price range for an air cooler and throwing aesthetics by the way side at least for now.

1 hour ago, Javiek said:

The goal is for a 4.8 GHz clock speed on the processor with an air cooler, so I was looking for something that would help me run cool and still fit in my rig. I have been going back and forth weighing price, performance, and or course aesthetics.  I think I am settling on lowest possible temp at a 60-80 price range for an air cooler and throwing aesthetics by the way side at least for now.

You should be able to get D15. It's the best (or among) air cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv