So, i want to turn my old server into a proxy server so me and my friends can access websites like Facebook, Reddit .etc at school. but i don't know what software to get. I need to be able to access it from an external network and have it pass about 4 devices out through my home network to the internet. Any ideas? 

4 minutes ago, mikethegeek said:

So, i want to turn my old server into a proxy server so me and my friends can access websites like Facebook, Reddit .etc at school. but i don't know what software to get. I need to be able to access it from an external network and have it pass about 4 devices out through my home network to the internet. Any ideas? 

Why not just use one of the thousands of proxy servers available online?

1 minute ago, joshfrog said:

are you using your own devices or are they school devices?

our phones on the schools wifi

Just now, corrado33 said:

Why not just use one of the thousands of proxy servers available online?

school block the majority

have you thought about a vpn then? i cant be sure it would work because some networks are setup to block vpns depending on how there set up but it would mean anything you did on you phone was covered rather then just your browser traffic.

have you thought about a vpn then? i cant be sure it would work because some networks are setup to block vpns depending on how there set up but it would mean anything you did on you phone was covered rather then just your browser traffic.

i don't know that much about VPN's. Is that an App we have to download?

there are vpns that set up though apps but if your planning on using an old server you already have some operating systems have vpns already in the operating system i believe free bsd has a built in vpn and it wouldnt cost you where as most vpn apps you need to pay for 

the router you have might support setting up a vpn but if its a basic home router then it probs wouldnt

there are vpns that set up though apps but if your planning on using an old server you already have some operating systems have vpns already in the operating system i believe free bsd has a built in vpn and it wouldnt cost you where as most vpn apps you need to pay for 

the router you have might support setting up a vpn but if its a basic home router then it probs wouldnt

do you have a link. Can i run it inside Windows? still use it for some stuff

the only way it could run in windows is if you ran a virtual machine with free bsd set up on it

heres a link on how to set up a vpn using free bsd 

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ipsec.html

you could always try this guide i cant be sure if it works as i havnt tryed it but looks easy enough and like it might work

http://www.avoiderrors.net/setup-vpn-windows-10/

the only way it could run in windows is if you ran a virtual machine with free bsd set up on it

heres a link on how to set up a vpn using free bsd 

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ipsec.html

you could always try this guide i cant be sure if it works as i havnt tryed it but looks easy enough and like it might work

http://www.avoiderrors.net/setup-vpn-windows-10/

Thanks

no problem i hope it helps and works if it does its pritty easy to set up a vpn on android and ios devices there are easy setup guides on the internets you can follow.