Some help building my first server.

StephenB

I plan on buying an Intel S2600G motherboard, and building my own server. I'm quite familiar with the process of building a PC, however servers seem to be more different that I first thought.

1. After quite a bit of googleing I've found a "DELL POWEREDGE 2950 POWER SUPPLY PSU 750W" that will be compatible with the motherboard. However the motherboard also has 2 x 4 pin power sockets (one for each CPU) will I also need to connect them to the PSU? If so how, since the power supply doesn't have a connecter for that?

2. I have been used to simply looking for an ATX (or which ever size motherboard I have) and finding a case compatible with that. However after spending a good hour searching I failed to find a compatible case, mostly due to the 2 power supplies not been compatible with it. Can anyone recommend a good 1U or 2U case for that. Preferably a UK based store, or ships to the UK, and as cheap as possible.

Thanks for any help,

Just buy the whole server, don't buy the parts, its normally cheaper this way. How about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-C2100-FS12-TY-2x-2-13GHz-QC-L5630-12GB-RAM-NO-HDD-SAS-6iR-/171816856699?hash=item2801152c7b:g:gPUAAOSw2xRYc-IV

You can put a faster cpu and more ram in if you need it, but you probably don't

1.No, you need the psu's for that server.

2. Don't build a 1/2u system, its normally awy to small, your much better off buying a prebuilt.

What are you using this server for?

i second electronics wizardry, if your going for a server build, buy one whole and if you need it to be small then at the smallest go 1U or tower server instead if you don't have a rack

1U servers and 2U servers sound like A380's taking off. I dont recommend those imo.

The geek himself.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just buy the whole server, don't buy the parts, its normally cheaper this way. How about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-C2100-FS12-TY-2x-2-13GHz-QC-L5630-12GB-RAM-NO-HDD-SAS-6iR-/171816856699?hash=item2801152c7b:g:gPUAAOSw2xRYc-IV

You can put a faster cpu and more ram in if you need it, but you probably don't

1.No, you need the psu's for that server.

2. Don't build a 1/2u system, its normally awy to small, your much better off buying a prebuilt.

What are you using this server for?

Thanks, though I need a case for that motherboard, not a server like that. Since I already have 2 Xeons for the LGA 2011 socket.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Its going to be rack mounted, since ill be collocating it. Therefor it needs to be either a 1U or 2U case.

1 minute ago, StephenB said:

Thanks, though I need a case for that motherboard, not a server like that. Since I already have 2 Xeons for the LGA 2011 socket.

Its going to be rack mounted, since ill be collocating it. Therefor it needs to be either a 1U or 2U case.

Ok well what is the server gonna be used for.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, StephenB said:

You can't just get a case for that board, you need the one specific case it was made for.

How about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microtel-2U-Server-Barebones-Intel-C602-Dual-LGA2011-Xeon-E5-CPU-12Bay-400W-/172106745402?hash=item28125c863a:g:qcwAAOSwkZhWTf7T?

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Ok well what is the server gonna be used for.

Quite a few things, main use been a game server. Everything else is sorted for that, storage, RAM, CPU's etc. Just not the case and PSU. Possibly the motherboard, however the S2600G seems perfect for what I need.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't just get a case for that board, you need the one specific case it was made for.

How about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microtel-2U-Server-Barebones-Intel-C602-Dual-LGA2011-Xeon-E5-CPU-12Bay-400W-/172106745402?hash=item28125c863a:g:qcwAAOSwkZhWTf7T?

Thanks, though I need it to be shippable to the UK. Preferably been sold there, so shipping costs are at a minimum.

1 minute ago, StephenB said:

Thanks, though I need it to be shippable to the UK. Preferably been sold there, so shipping costs are at a minimum.

look on ebay in the uk?

You dont need lga2011 cpus for a game server. A used server from 2008 still works fine. Hell a core 2 duo works fine for a game server.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

look on ebay in the uk?

I have done, only server I could fine, already come with the CPU's and the case isn't great. No top panel. I just need the case.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

You dont need lga2011 cpus for a game server. A used server from 2008 still works fine. Hell a core 2 duo works fine for a game server.

I already have the CPU's for the server. I just need a case to fit the motherboard.

Just now, StephenB said:

I already have the CPU's for the server. I just need a case to fit the motherboard.

whats the motherboard layout then

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, StephenB said:

I have done, only server I could fine, already come with the CPU's and the case isn't great. No top panel. I just need the case.

Ow wow. The uk market sucks compared to US. Sorry about that.

This seems to be the cheapest barbones i can find for 500 pounds.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-R720xd-SERVER-24-2-5-BAY-BAREBONES-YELLOW-CHASSIS-NW98N-5NP86-/182134476807?hash=item2a680f9007:g:-WoAAOSwuzRXcyt7

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Doesn't look like it would fit the PSU's.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board-s2600gl-gz.html

PSU's seem to connect to the two sockets in the right corner.