Does GSYNC cause a drop in average FPS?

TrickyWitcher

I've been reading on the NVIDIA sub and heard from my friends that having GSYNC enabled will lower your average FPS. Not just to keep it below your max GSYNC range, nut if you averaging 90FPS before enabling GSYNC, and your GSYNC monitor is 144Hz, your average frames will still drop with it enabled. Is this true?

That shouldn't be true.

G-sync only detects at what FPS rate is your game running, and setting that many Hz on monitor.

It would only lower your fps, if your fps would go beyond possible refresh rate of your monitor. In most cases that's 144.

So no, I don't belive that g-sync is lowering your fps is any way.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Your friends are misinformed or are making stuff up. V-Sync does this. The whole point of G-Sync (or Freesync) is that it doesn't compromise performance.

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

That shouldn't be true.

G-sync only detects at what FPS rate is your game running, and setting that many Hz on monitor.

It would only lower your fps, if your fps would go beyond possible refresh rate of your monitor. In most cases that's 144.

So no, I don't belive that g-sync is lowering your fps is any way.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It does not. I get the same FPS with GSync enabled as I do with it disabled. 

Alright, thanks. Gonna grab an Acer Predator monitor.

Also, @Oshino Shinobu, I see you quite a bit in watercooling. What do you think EK's new AIO will be like? I'm assuming they fixed the multiple reports of leaking. Just hope it still has QDC so I can throw my GPU in there.

1 minute ago, TrickyWitcher said:

Alright, thanks. Gonna grab an Acer Predator monitor.

Also, @Oshino Shinobu, I see you quite a bit in watercooling. What do you think EK's new AIO will be like? I'm assuming they fixed the multiple reports of leaking. Just hope it still has QDC so I can throw my GPU in there.

It will likely be decent, as most AIOs are. To be honest, I'm not too keen on the AIO with QDC for adding in the GPU, it's normally not exactly cost effective, so I'd rather just build a custom loop that looks better, runs quiet and performs better. 

Every user/gamer who have Nvidia GPU in top tier, dream about having g-sync. Because it's the best feature you can find on your monitor.

So it's safe for you to buy it and not worry about any performance decrease.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It will likely be decent, as most AIOs are. To be honest, I'm not too keen on the AIO with QDC for adding in the GPU, it's normally not exactly cost effective, so I'd rather just build a custom loop that looks better, runs quiet and performs better. 

Cheaper? The (now end of life) Predator AIO was around $160 CAD IIRC. The GPU block for my 1080 plus backplate is $230 to come with the QDC. $400 (Really $390, but let's just say $400), is cheaper than the loop the custom configuration gave me by about $150. 

I don't care much about performance as long as both my CPU and GPU stay below 55C.

1 minute ago, TrickyWitcher said:

Cheaper? The (now end of life) Predator AIO was around $160 CAD IIRC. The GPU block for my 1080 plus backplate is $230 to come with the QDC. $400 (Really $390, but let's just say $400), is cheaper than the loop the custom configuration gave me by about $150. 

I don't care much about performance as long as both my CPU and GPU stay below 55C.

It's cheaper, but not cost effective, as with all watercooling. To me, watercooling is only worth it for the enjoyment of the process and making things look good. Getting a pre-made system for it takes most of the point out of watercooling for me. AIO for CPU is fine as it's pretty cheap, but when you're adding in GPUs, I'd only really consider a custom loop. 

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's cheaper, but not cost effective, as with all watercooling. To me, watercooling is only worth it for the enjoyment of the process and making things look good. Getting a pre-made system for it takes most of the point out of watercooling for me. AIO for CPU is fine as it's pretty cheap, but when you're adding in GPUs, I'd only really consider a custom loop. 

I'll see if I can scrounge up what I need. I've seen what the full QDC loop looks like in my case, and I have to say it looks fine. I'll wait until EK shows what they have. If its cheaper than the old predator, or the same price, I'll grab it, if not, I'll suck it up and do a custom loop. I just prefer the look without a reservoir.