Way Below average FPS?

HelloitsLuke

So I decided to clean my PC, resit the RAM, and connected a Fan.

Weird things that happened after that:
1. My PC now skips the Bios screen for some apparent reason
2. My FPS on Overwatch have dipped substantially.

I'm using a 
i5 2500
8GB RAM
GTX 1060

Before resitting said components, I was getting over 100 fps on average (100% render everything else at low)

Now I'm getting no where above 80. What seems to be the problem?

I used afterburner to monitor GPU usage (and it does confirm its usage to be 99%)

Questions are:

1. What's possibly causing my system to throttle?

2. How do I bring back the Bios Screen? (I can't even get into the Bios)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @4.3Ghz All-Core with Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Storage 1: Phison 500 GB NVME SSD

Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB NVME SSD

Case: Inwin 146 ATX Case

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Headset: Drop x Sennheiser PC38x

Monitor 1: LG 27GL850-B 1440p @144hz Nano-IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Asus VG248Q 1080p @144hz Gaming Monitor

Monitor 3: Asus VG259Q 1080p @144hz IPS Gaming Monitor

You could try resetting the CMOS first. At the very least that should fix the bios problem.

After that, if the fps issue persists, could you check the CPU usage?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You could try resetting the CMOS first. At the very least that should fix the bios problem.

After that, if the fps issue persists, could you check the CPU usage?

How could I reset the CMOS? 

Also as I play the game the CPU doesn't even go above 90% usage.

Very peculiar indeed.

Also I didn't resit the RAM on the original position, rather they are one RAM slot apart (I think that's how you run dual channel)

Peripherals

Okay update: 

My PC usage while on a 2 min test did not go over 60% What seems to be wrong here?

Peripherals

1 minute ago, HelloitsLuke said:

How could I reset the CMOS? 

Also as I play the game the CPU doesn't even go above 90% usage.

Very peculiar indeed.

Also I didn't resit the RAM on the original position, rather they are one RAM slot apart (I think that's how you run dual channel)

How many sticks of RAM do you have? And how many ram slots do you have? To know where to put the ram sticks to properly run dual channel you should probably check your motherboard manual. You should probably do that first.

To reset the CMOS you just shut down the system, flip the switch on the PSU, remove the silver battery on the motherboard, wait a few minutes, and then put it back in and boot the system back up. This should restore all the settings on the motherboard and so will most likely fix the bios problem. Here is a guide you can take a look at, just follow the steps for doing it by taking out the battery. http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

How many sticks of RAM do you have? And how many ram slots do you have? To know where to put the ram sticks to properly run dual channel you should probably check your motherboard manual. You should probably do that first.

To reset the CMOS you just shut down the system, flip the switch on the PSU, remove the silver battery on the motherboard, wait a few minutes, and then put it back in and boot the system back up. This should restore all the settings on the motherboard and so will most likely fix the bios problem. Here is a guide you can take a look at, just follow the steps for doing it by taking out the battery. http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

Running two sticks of 4GB 1333 ( Effectively a dual channel 8GB kit). I checked CPU-Z and it does indicate Channel # as Dual. 

Peripherals

2 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Running two sticks of 4GB 1333 ( Effectively a dual channel 8GB kit). I checked CPU-Z and it does indicate Channel # as Dual. 

Hmmm OK. Then just go ahead with clearing the CMOS. If CPU-z is showing it as dual channel then there probably aren't issues arising from it.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Hmmm OK. Then just go ahead with clearing the CMOS. If CPU-z is showing it as dual channel then there probably aren't issues arising from it.

Could the Bios not be showing be a culprit for my FPS drops though? My CPU usage peaks at 60% and I am not certain why that's the case.

Peripherals

1 minute ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Could the Bios not be showing be a culprit for my FPS drops though? My CPU usage peaks at 60% and I am not certain why that's the case.

I doubt the bios not showing is the direct cause of the fps drops, but it is quite likely that it could be related, especially since they both started after you redid your system.

Also forgot to mention that once you clear the cmos all your overclock settings will be reset, so make sure you remember or write down what your clock speeds and voltages are so that you can put everything back to what it was before afterwards.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've not played Overwatch, But since it's a blizzard title it's possible they've done to the graphics settings what they did in WoW with oversampling.

When I upgraded from a 290x to a 1070, my FPS took a massive hit. Couldn't figure out why, but apparently, by setting my graphic settings so high, Blizzard automatically put oversampling up to 200%, which means that the game is effectively attempting to render the game at 2x the set resolution (there are some benefits to oversampling). However, what this doesn't take into account is just what the oversampled resolution is.

For example; Running at 2560x1080 at 200% rendering actually was trying to render the game at 5120x2160 (higher than 4k!). No 1070 is going to keep up on ultra settings at this resolution. So my FPS tanked.

I would check to make sure that overwatch isn't trying to do something similar

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

16 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

I've not played Overwatch, But since it's a blizzard title it's possible they've done to the graphics settings what they did in WoW with oversampling.

When I upgraded from a 290x to a 1070, my FPS took a massive hit. Couldn't figure out why, but apparently, by setting my graphic settings so high, Blizzard automatically put oversampling up to 200%, which means that the game is effectively attempting to render the game at 2x the set resolution (there are some benefits to oversampling). However, what this doesn't take into account is just what the oversampled resolution is.

For example; Running at 2560x1080 at 200% rendering actually was trying to render the game at 5120x2160 (higher than 4k!). No 1070 is going to keep up on ultra settings at this resolution. So my FPS tanked.

I would check to make sure that overwatch isn't trying to do something similar

I've disabled DSR and set everything to low with the render scale only being at native 1080p. I'm trying to reinstall the drivers.

Peripherals

Another quick update:

Apparently today is a very bad day. I used DDU to erase my nvidia drivers. Now my GPU isn't detected by the system+ There are no outputs being displayed by the GPU. What can I do here?

Peripherals

7 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Another quick update:

Apparently today is a very bad day. I used DDU to erase my nvidia drivers. Now my GPU isn't detected by the system+ There are no outputs being displayed by the GPU. What can I do here?

As in only your iGPU is working? That's strange since normally you would just default to a super low resolution. Are the Nvidia Drivers able to install and does your card at least show up as an unknown device in Device Manager?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

As in only your iGPU is working? That's strange since normally you would just default to a super low resolution. Are the Nvidia Drivers able to install and does your card at least show up as an unknown device in Device Manager?

1. Yes I'm on the iGPU right now.
2. No, there is no detection on the device manager + Nvidia can't find my hardware either

Also to follow up from the initial concern, I still haven't reset the CMOS (Kinda don't have the luxury of time right now) on the motherboard so there's still the Bios skipping.

Peripherals

2 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

2. No, there is no detection on the device manager + Nvidia can't find my hardware either

Also to follow up from the initial concern, I still haven't reset the CMOS (Kinda don't have the luxury of time right now) on the motherboard so there's still the Bios skipping.

Only other thing I can think of before resetting the CMOS is trying another PCIE slot since it's possible that one is disabled/not working somehow.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

How does it do that though? It was literally working fine today, but now after the DDU uninstallation it was just went black. Also I did connect my monitor to the iGPU upon uninstallation while the PC was restarting

Peripherals

23 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

You could fix the problem of not being on the GPU... by resetting the CMOS :D. Most likely all you have to do is disable the iGPU... In the bios... Ya.

You probably would just reset the CMOS. You probably don't have to keep the battery out for 5 minutes; 1 minute should do. It shouldn't take too long.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Update (1-20-17):

I've reset the CMOS and reseated the GPU. Bios now flashes again and managed to reinstall Nvidia drivers :D Thank you for the help!

Peripherals

2 hours ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Update (1-20-17):

I've reset the CMOS and reseated the GPU. Bios now flashes again and managed to reinstall Nvidia drivers :D Thank you for the help!

Yay! Is fps back to normal now?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 1/21/2017 at 11:38 AM, DocSwag said:

Yay! Is fps back to normal now?

Yes it's back up although the dips spike here and there more often :( I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the bottlenecking being evident on my system.

Peripherals

14 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Yes it's back up although the dips spike here and there more often :( I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the bottlenecking being evident on my system.

Yeah, it makes sense to be some sort of bottlenecking but the question is where is the bottlenecking coming from. Do you have two monitors? If so, try playing a game on one monitor and open task manager and something like afterburner to check CPU, GPU, and ram usage. If the CPU usage is near 100% the whole time your CPU might be bottlenecking, if the ram usage is too high, the ram might be bottlenecking, etc. If that doesn't yield results, try going into the bios and enabling XMP. After that, could you tell me the frequency of your ram and then run this:

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt_advmem.htm

(that way we can insure the ram is actually running at the bandwidth it should be). Most likely the peak memory bandwidth should be between 15-20 GB/s or so.

Also, you might want to just try and move the two ram sticks back to where they were before. If the problems started then, then maybe that is the problem.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

22 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah, it makes sense to be some sort of bottlenecking but the question is where is the bottlenecking coming from. Do you have two monitors? If so, try playing a game on one monitor and open task manager and something like afterburner to check CPU, GPU, and ram usage. If the CPU usage is near 100% the whole time your CPU might be bottlenecking, if the ram usage is too high, the ram might be bottlenecking, etc. If that doesn't yield results, try going into the bios and enabling XMP. After that, could you tell me the frequency of your ram and then run this:

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt_advmem.htm

(that way we can insure the ram is actually running at the bandwidth it should be). Most likely the peak memory bandwidth should be between 15-20 GB/s or so.

Also, you might want to just try and move the two ram sticks back to where they were before. If the problems started then, then maybe that is the problem.

Well I'm fully aware of my system specs.

I run a 8GB DDR3 at 1333 Mhz

I've reduced a bit of dipping by switching on the "Asus Optimal Experience" on my Motherboard bios. Getting fps back in the 100's now :) 

Peripherals

54 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Well I'm fully aware of my system specs.

I run a 8GB DDR3 at 1333 Mhz

I've reduced a bit of dipping by switching on the "Asus Optimal Experience" on my Motherboard bios. Getting fps back in the 100's now :) 

I think that all that's supposed to do is apply a small overclock to your CPU. Just wondering then, but did you have a CPU overclock before you resat some of your components?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 1/24/2017 at 9:49 PM, DocSwag said:

I think that all that's supposed to do is apply a small overclock to your CPU. Just wondering then, but did you have a CPU overclock before you resat some of your components?

Yes.

Peripherals

6 minutes ago, HelloitsLuke said:

Yes.

Maybe that could be the reason for the lower fps... do you remember the settings you had before? Try putting the OC back to what it was before (clearing the CMOS definitely would have gotten rid of the OC).

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler