[SOLVED] Which 1070 to get at the moment ?

SMR

Hi !

I currently have a Asus R9 280 in my pc. I now want to upgrade to a 1070. I run a 4690k overclocked at 4.0Ghz running on water, so bottle-necking won't be an issue.

I just wanted to know where are the brand standing atm, I probably won't overclock to crazy numbers, if I even overclock. 

I heard EVGA had some issues with their card and they had to do a recall on some of them, I want to avoid these kinds of thing lol

I would like to have a RGB unit, maybe with a backplate too, but that is optional.

I run a dual monitor setup, one 1080p 144hz monitor without any synch tech on it, alongside a ultrawide 60hz. I mostly play overwatch and RPG's (Witcher gonna look so good with a good GPU !)

So, what is your suggestions ? 

xD

I have an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G and it's fantastic. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Asus Strix. or MSI Gaming X. EVGA should all fixed now

Check this recent discussion

EVGA,MSI,Zotac are the best ones. Also you will have to overclock that CPU little bit more (and still you will see bottleneck in games like GTA 5,Witcher 3 and some other)

The cheapest really cause they're all pretty much the same. The MSI Gaming and armor look really good for me, wish EVGA kept the previous clean looking grey and black looks, now the shrouds are just a mess.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

8 minutes ago, SMR said:

Hi !

I currently have a Asus R9 280 in my pc. I now want to upgrade to a 1070. I run a 4690k overclocked at 4.0Ghz running on water, so bottle-necking won't be an issue.

I just wanted to know where are the brand standing atm, I probably won't overclock to crazy numbers, if I even overclock. 

I heard EVGA had some issues with their card and they had to do a recall on some of them, I want to avoid these kinds of thing lol

I would like to have a RGB unit, maybe with a backplate too, but that is optional.

I run a dual monitor setup, one 1080p 144hz monitor without any synch tech on it, alongside a ultrawide 60hz. I mostly play overwatch and RPG's (Witcher gonna look so good with a good GPU !)

So, what is your suggestions ? 

xD

If you can afford it and think that sound is really important Zotac AMP extreme. Super beefy cooler, you shouldn't need the fans to spin up at all unless you OC.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

If you can afford it and think that sound is really important Zotac AMP extreme. Super beefy cooler, you shouldn't need the fans to spin up at all unless you OC.

Is the backplate really yellow ? :|

I got a black and purple build lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, SMR said:

Is the backplate really yellow ? :|

I got a black and purple build lol

Get ASUS Strix. IT's black and then you can change RGB lights to purple

2 minutes ago, SMR said:

I don't think I need WC for my GPU, but it looks sexy af ! :o

It looks cool, and I would buy that just because I like to see low temperatures on my components.

With this cooling, your GPU will stay under 50°C, while standard GPUs will go to 70°C and beyond.

I just like hybrid cards like that :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Get ASUS Strix. IT's black and then you can change RGB lights to purple

Yeah I was looking at that one it looks really good.

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

It looks cool, and I would buy that just because I like to see low temperatures on my components.

With this cooling, your GPU will stay under 50°C, while standard GPUs will go to 70°C and beyond.

I just like hybrid cards like that :)

It's the same price as the Strix too.. I wonder how two closed loops would look in my S340.

6 minutes ago, SMR said:

It's the same price as the Strix too.. I wonder how two closed loops would look in my S340.

It would look great if you ask me.

If you are only looking for better performance for lowest price, you should buy some other version of GTX 1070.

But if you care at least a bit about looks and temperatures, I would recommend that GPU.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

It would look great if you ask me.

If you are only looking for better performance for lowest price, you should buy some other version of GTX 1070.

But if you care at least a bit about looks and temperatures, I would recommend that GPU.

Well obviously I care about temps/looks, else I wouldn't run a H110 as my CPU cooler xD Anyway, price difference is about 80$ at max between this and the cheaper versions.

2 minutes ago, SMR said:

Well obviously I care about temps/looks, else I wouldn't run a H110 as my CPU cooler xD Anyway, price difference is about 80$ at max between this and the cheaper versions.

Well in that case I would get this GPU.

You can also check reviews of it. And another good thing is noise level.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_sea_hawk_x_review,11.html

It's the quiest card when under full load.

And if you check more on that link you will see that max temperature was 48°C after hours of stress testing it at 100% load. Not sure if any OC was applied at that time, but still temperature is so low. My GTX 1070 on custom water loop goes to 54°C when under 100% load. It is overclocked to max, but still you get the point.

Cooling and noise levels are the best with this GPU.

And you never have to worry about thermal throtling ;)

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well in that case I would get this GPU.

You can also check reviews of it. And another good thing is noise level.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_sea_hawk_x_review,11.html

It's the quiest card when under full load.

And if you check more on that link you will see that max temperature was 48°C after hours of stress testing it at 100% load. Not sure if any OC was applied at that time, but still temperature is so low. My GTX 1070 on custom water loop goes to 54°C when under 100% load. It is overclocked to max, but still you get the point.

Cooling and noise levels are the best with this GPU.

And you never have to worry about thermal throtling ;)

Yes I was wondering about this also, my R9 280 make a good amount of noise and it's kind of unbearable without my headphones because my PC is on display on my desk alongside my monitors. 

What about coil whine on these things ? Mine is a real pita for this..

My evga 1070 black edition has coil whine but only when stress testing (Furry doughnut or texture fills) otherwise in games its not bad. 

Truthfully get the cheapest card that looks cool or fits your build style. Virtually all 1070's regardless of manufacturer and power phases get to 2050-2100mhz 

gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming. works great, nice backplate, stylish, and has rgb leds.

CASE: deepcool dukase v2 MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte gaming 3 CPU: intel core i5 6500 GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming CPU COOLER: enermax liqmax II 120s SSD: Kingston ssdnow uv400 240gb RAM: crucial ballistic sport (1 x 8) PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W

1 minute ago, creepybob said:

gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming. works great, nice backplate, stylish, and has rgb leds.

but orange. the hideous orange

10 minutes ago, SMR said:

Yes I was wondering about this also, my R9 280 make a good amount of noise and it's kind of unbearable without my headphones because my PC is on display on my desk alongside my monitors. 

What about coil whine on these things ? Mine is a real pita for this..

About coil whine ... that's mostly pure luck. Or it has to do something with your PSU.

Some guys have coil whine on GPU, but after they change PSU, coil whine is gone.

I watched few reviews of that specific card and I don't remember anyone saying that there is any coil whine.

Also coil whine have nothing to do with cooling, but more with PCB itself and those coils on it. 

And as far as I know there isn't any GPU "brand" that guarantee no coil whine problems.

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

but orange. the hideous orange

you can just paint it or scrape it off. plus your not going to see the orange unless you have a case where the card it facing sideways. 

CASE: deepcool dukase v2 MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte gaming 3 CPU: intel core i5 6500 GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming CPU COOLER: enermax liqmax II 120s SSD: Kingston ssdnow uv400 240gb RAM: crucial ballistic sport (1 x 8) PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W

27 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

About coil whine ... that's mostly pure luck. Or it has to do something with your PSU.

Some guys have coil whine on GPU, but after they change PSU, coil whine is gone.

I watched few reviews of that specific card and I don't remember anyone saying that there is any coil whine.

Also coil whine have nothing to do with cooling, but more with PCB itself and those coils on it. 

And as far as I know there isn't any GPU "brand" that guarantee no coil whine problems.

Oh I see, well I can deal with a little wine anyway, I just saw the backplate had the dragon logo on it, would be nice with my MSI motherboard, I'm heading toward this one :)