Books on Geology and Paleontology

LawrenceBarnes2013

Looking for some good ones, not for novice, nor for veteran, slightly in between.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Gotta be honest with you, Lawrence. Last time I bought a book was maybe 8 years ago.

Thing is that if a book is worth buying it's probably torrentable and if it's not it'll be in the library.

That's my advice to you, Lawrence, to go to the library and check their catalogue.

I've never done Gelogy in my life though; shit's boring af. Dropped Geography as soon as I humanly could.

However, I have a mate who is doing a PhD in something geological so I could ask him if you wanted. Please check your library catalogue first though, Lawrence.

3 hours ago, Mug said:

Gotta be honest with you, Lawrence. Last time I bought a book was maybe 8 years ago.

Thing is that if a book is worth buying it's probably torrentable and if it's not it'll be in the library.

That's my advice to you, Lawrence, to go to the library and check their catalogue.

I've never done Gelogy in my life though; shit's boring af. Dropped Geography as soon as I humanly could.

However, I have a mate who is doing a PhD in something geological so I could ask him if you wanted. Please check your library catalogue first though, Lawrence.

Thanks for the response mate. Thing is books over here are in French witch would be logical since i do my studies in French but i always found theme hollow, on the other hand i rad Principles of geology and planet earth and i found em very rich. So yeah i would really appreciate it if you would ask your mate.

BTW it's not boring at all, i did think it was at first but i started to pay attention i'm loving it. Besides jobs regarding this specialty should be available, i hope.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

27 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Thanks for the response mate. Thing is books over here are in French witch would be logical since i do my studies in French but i always found theme hollow, on the other hand i rad Principles of geology and planet earth and i found em very rich. So yeah i would really appreciate it if you would ask your mate.

BTW it's not boring at all, i did think it was at first but i started to pay attention i'm loving it. Besides jobs regarding this specialty should be available, i hope.

Geology is a very good topic to read up on, but it would be more helpful if there was a specific area that you are looking into as Geology can cover a range of topics from Mineralogy/Petrology to Geochemistry, Igneous processes, Earth History and much more.  If you are looking at just some general light reading, then Volcano Cowboys by Dick Thompson was an enjoyable read. 

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

Geology is a very good topic to read up on, but it would be more helpful if there was a specific area that you are looking into as Geology can cover a range of topics from Mineralogy/Petrology to Geochemistry, Igneous processes, Earth History and much more.  If you are looking at just some general light reading, then Volcano Cowboys by Dick Thompson was an enjoyable read. 

I'm specializing in Paleontology, Mineralogy and Cristallography. Thanks for the suggestion will definitely check it out.

11 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

I'm specializing in Paleontology, Mineralogy and Cristallography. Thanks for the suggestion will definitely check it out.

That helps on some of the specifics... As for those topics, if there is a region of the world that you are interested in, I would look around for a Geology of that region book.  As a part of the Earth History discussion for the region, they usually also discuss the Paleontology.  One of my favorite regions to read up on are the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon.  Concerning the Mineralogy and Crystallography, when I was in college, I had several texts that were really useful.  There was Nesse's "Introduction to Optical Mineralogy" and Klein's "The 22nd Edition of the Manual of Mineral Science" as required texts. A copy of Simon & Schuster's "Guide to Rocks and Mienrals" is also a really useful tool to have at your disposal for just some basic mineral classification information. 

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

That helps on some of the specifics... As for those topics, if there is a region of the world that you are interested in, I would look around for a Geology of that region book.  As a part of the Earth History discussion for the region, they usually also discuss the Paleontology.  One of my favorite regions to read up on are the John Day Fossil Beds in Central Oregon.  Concerning the Mineralogy and Crystallography, when I was in college, I had several texts that were really useful.  There was Nesse's "Introduction to Optical Mineralogy" and Klein's "The 22nd Edition of the Manual of Mineral Science" as required texts. A copy of Simon & Schuster's "Guide to Rocks and Mienrals" is also a really useful tool to have at your disposal for just some basic mineral classification information. 

Wow, that's really good man, thanks big time.

3 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

As a starter he recommended this book:

0-582-22857-3

9 hours ago, Mug said:

0-582-22857-3

Looks good, will check it out. Thanks bro.

9 hours ago, Mug said:

0-582-22857-3