Sapphire announces full fat Polaris 11

FishTea

Sapphire figured out that selling partially disabled Polaris 11 chips is not exactly the best marketing decision. Especially when most RX460 cards on the market are already unlockable to full 1024 Stream Processor version without much problem.

As a result, Sapphire is now offering fully unlocked Radeon RX 460. This version has Polaris 11 GPU with all 16 Compute Units enabled. So rather than wait for Radeon 500 series and Polaris refresh, you can now actually buy the full chip.

I’m not exactly sure why RX 460 did not get the full chip in the first place, but it’s good to know that we finally have this option, but unfortunately.. this card is only listed on Chinese Sapphire’s website, so it may be an exclusive product for Chinese market, just as Radeon RX 470D.

Finally, the new NITRO has 4GB GDDR5 memory on board and 1250 MHz core clock.

sauce: http://videocardz.com/65594/sapphire-announces-radeon-rx-460-with-1024-stream-processors

Sapphire-RX-460-NITRO-1024SP-2.jpg

Sapphire-RX-460-NITRO-1024SP-3.jpg

Sapphire-RX-460-NITRO-1024SP-5.jpg

Sapphire-RX-460-NITRO-1024SP-6.jpg

SAPP-RX460-1024SP.jpg

Edited by zeraine00
Error url

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

Just now, Aereldor said:

Are there any benchmarks available?

would probably have to look for benchmarks for the ones that were unlocked before this release.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I don't get why it's beneficial to lock any computer component in the first place? 

The reason for not officially releasing the full Polaris 11 chip for desktop is that the laptop market needed it more. Apple placed a large order on those. Apple gets what Apple wants.

2 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I don't get why it's beneficial to lock any computer component in the first place? 

Sometimes its to save on cost and other times it would be because the chip that for example was meant to be a RX 480 didn't turn out so well so they locked off some parts of the chip and turned it into a RX 460 or 470. Instead of just throwing it in the bin and starting again. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Sometimes its to save on cost and other times it would be because the chip that for example was meant to be a RX 480 didn't turn out so well so they locked off some parts of the chip and turned it into a RX 460 or 470. Instead of just throwing it in the bin and starting again. 

Not quite... RX 460 is a different die (Polaris 11) than the RX 480 and 470 (Polaris 10).

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Doing this kind of thing is common, even on CPU market who doesn't recall AMD and its 3 core processors that were nothing more than 4 cores processors with a defective core that instead going to trash bin end up on market, it is all about marketing hehe.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

This will look like a case of 1060 3/6GB where the same naming scheme still has a very important difference between the two different cards.

Didn't AMD themselves indirectly say they'd have a Polaris refresh coming with the RX-xx5 series with a slide showing their new naming scheme? I fully expected an RX465 to be the full P11 chip. 

Yeah here it is:

AMD-Radeon-RX-400-series.jpg

We've had the first revision in October (hence why RX480/RX470 now pull a whole lot less power compared to the earlier cards), so the next one would be the xx5 revision, which should also bring less power consumption and better yields (thus allowing AMD to have full P11 GPUs). I wonder if AMD knows what Sapphire is doing here and even approves of it, it could create a whole lot of confusion when the RX465 hits and it's essentially this specific RX460.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Why not call it the RX 465?

Because this isn't an official AMD product. It's just Sapphire going "well these P11 chips are actually not defective, lets leave all the cores unlocked and sell them as full P11 GPUs".

Ye ole' train

14 minutes ago, Vode said:

Not quite... RX 460 is a different die (Polaris 11) than the RX 480 and 470 (Polaris 10).

It's the right idea though. An RX470 is an RX480 with bad cores so they lock them off and sell it as an RX470. It still makes money compared to throwing an entire chip in the trashcan.

Ye ole' train

22 minutes ago, Wolther said:

To more effectively partition the market. While the chip is the same, if they introduce a card that has the full chip and one that has it partially cut off they can sell it to two different demographics. If you can't afford the full model, you can still buy something close instead of having to go all the way down to a lower tier chip. If you can buy the full chip (at a slightly inflated price to make up for the lower margins on the locked chip) then you can have the whole thing.

On top of that it's not usually guaranteed that all chips will function properly when fully unlocked - there are some requirements they must meet before they are sold as "full". For example, since this applies to cpus as well, consider i5s and i7s. i5s are just "locked" i7s - they are made in the same wafers with the same schematics. However, while some lucky i5s could work as an i7, the majority would be unstable or straight up not work if all the features were enabled.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 minutes ago, Vode said:

Its just an example, not saying that would be the exact case in the situation of going from a RX 480 to 460.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Why does AMD insists on losing? What can be gained for loosing to the 1050? This should be the only Polaris 11 available.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Why does AMD insists on losing? What can be gained for loosing to the 1050? This should be the only Polaris 11 available.

but what if yields were not good enough at the time so they either had to push back release or sell a cut down chip.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

15 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

but what if yields were not good enough at the time so they either had to push back release or sell a cut down chip.

That doesn't works: they released before the 1050. It means they could have waited at the very least until after and still be relatively ok.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

Because then people can buy the cheap unlocked Celeron or Pentium, then overclock it and get i3 or i5 performance without paying for an i3 or i5.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That doesn't works: they released before the 1050. It means they could have waited at the very least until after and still be relatively ok.

but people could argue that AMD would not sell as much if they did due to brand loyalty. they could of felt that it was needed to release before Nvidia.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Where's the logic in that? AMD released the RX460 because it would lose them money throwing away bad P11 GPUs with just 1-2 defective compute units. They had the P11 GPUs ready long before nVidia had their 1050(Ti)s ready, so they sold the RX460 as a cut-down P11 chip waiting for yields to improve at which point they'd be selling full P11 GPUs, which is what Sapphire is doing now. Also remember that AMD has a 2nd Polaris revision planned, hence the RX-xxnaming scheme and there's little reason to believe the RX465 won't be the full fat P11 GPU.

Ye ole' train

12 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

but people could argue that AMD would not sell as much if they did due to brand loyalty. they could of felt that it was needed to release before Nvidia.

They could, but I could argue right back that they won't win market share and brand loyalty by constantly settling for second place.

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Where's the logic in that? AMD released the RX460 because it would lose them money throwing away bad P11 GPUs with just 1-2 defective compute units. They had the P11 GPUs ready long before nVidia had their 1050(Ti)s ready, so they sold the RX460 as a cut-down P11 chip waiting for yields to improve at which point they'd be selling full P11 GPUs, which is what Sapphire is doing now. Also remember that AMD has a 2nd Polaris revision planned, hence the RX-xxnaming scheme and there's little reason to believe the RX465 won't be the full fat P11 GPU.

No no: you're assuming you have to begin mass production before you refine your manufacturing process. That's not entirely accurate: limited runs to figure out yields can be done before you mass produce.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

No no: you're assuming you have to begin mass production before you refine your manufacturing process. That's not entirely accurate: limited runs to figure out yields can be done before you mass produce.

True but over time the process "matures" and gives better yields and more power efficient chips. Not defending AMD or anything but I do agree that they should have released the full 460 but I think apple had a license on it for a period of time so probably why desktops only had a cut down version.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

True but over time the process "matures" and gives better yields and more power efficient chips. Not defending AMD or anything but I do agree that they should have released the full 460 but I think apple had a license on it for a period of time so probably why desktops only had a cut down version.

More likely it went over the 75W power restriction of the PCIe slot and AMD didn't want to put a 6-pin plug on their lower performance card.

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

More likely it went over the 75W power restriction of the PCIe slot and AMD didn't want to put a 6-pin plug on their lower performance card.

Highly unlikely otherwise apple wouldn't have snapped it up