4K dilema help me decide please

XxRustyxX

I dont even know where to start... so next month im upgrading my monitor, i was thinking of getting and ultrawide acer x34 3440x1440p because of the refreshrate however i was initially planning on getting a 4k monitor and i have a couple of questions, the monitor in mind is the acer predator xb321hk, i want to make the jump from 1080p to 4k so i can really get that like that big boost on visuals, i am building my pc in parts atm and already have a gtx1080 (planning on getting another1 for sli later) so meanwhile i want to know if i can play at a resolution not native by the monitor like say 1440p (while i wait for my second 1080) wich i know my gpu can handle, and still look good, ive researched a lot on the issue at hand but cant find a definitive answer, im gonna link a video were this guy says u can play at 1440p monitor while u wait to upgrade your pc and the 4k will still be there as the guy says, also can you overclock a 4k monitor like this one? have any1 done it? if so how many hz can u overlock it to, so many questions i have about this have risen and i need some help to decide. some people say it looks blurry because its not the native resolution of the monitor but i really see no blur in the yt video im going to link, please please if some1 with knowledge of this can help that would be awesome. 

also forgot to say it but im not just using it for gaming (altho that would be the main purpose) but i also love watching YT videos and some of my favorite channels do have 4k content wich i know would be awesome looking)

What are you actually asking for? 

You can't really play at 1440p on a 4k screen, it'll look terrible. 

But you can just play at 4k and change some settings, a single 1080 is pretty fast alone. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

What are you actually asking for? 

You can't really play at 1440p on a 4k screen, it'll look terrible. 

But you can just play at 4k and change some settings, a single 1080 is pretty fast alone. 

this is exactly what im asking, for example you say it looks terrible but the guy below says it looks fine its just when ur used to 4k that some people say it looks bad, also i beg to differ that a single 1080 can run 4k well enough, ive seen benchmarks for games i play such as the division and they are getting 30ish avg fps, mine is an aftermarket one (zotac 1080 amp extreme) and i even overclocked it a bit further so i might be getting like 10-15 more fps if im lucky, but yeah thats what im mainly asking, if i can play at 1440p while i upgrade to my second 1080 so i can get those constant 60fps.

2 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

The 1080 will work if you are willing to turn down settings, at which point, I don't think it's worth it, but this is from my own experience, and I'm incredibly picky. Also the Division is poorly optimized. If you go with a gsync monitor though 30-45 frames aren't really that bad. I honestly just look for the minimums because of gysnc. Keep in mind, I'm mainly speaking from my own experience, my own expectations, and other benchmarks that I've seen (etc.).

ok can you help me answer this question since im assuming u are running a gsync monitor, does gsync make a big difference when talking about 30-45 fps compared to a none gsync monitor? whats the experience like? is it just like smoother and stuff?

2 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

It makes all the difference.  When it drops, I can only tell if I look at an fps counter, unless it drops really hard. So you can look at your minimums, the first to go should be your AA in terms of settings.

im guessing AA is not needed in 4k? also id like to chat with you a bit more since u have some knowledge about what im asking, but ill continue my replys tomorrow cuz i can barely keep my eyes open right now, thx for the couple of replys so far.

9 hours ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

It varies by game. I think the people who say you don't need it, haven't actually gamed that much, if at all, in 4k. Sometimes it only happens in some games, sometimes only while moving (you might not see it kind of shimmer weird), when looking closer at images.  I almost don't notice it at all in gears of war, but mostly, when you see it it's just in a few spots, but it's all I notice personally.  If you tell me how much you have to spend then it would be easier to make recommendations.

on a monitor? well the one i posted costs around 1200-1300$ so thats my budget for a monitor.

3 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

What about for more GPU horse power? and when do you want this buy? Are you willing to wait for much better stuff to come out later this year?

well next month would be the case, and as gpu horsepower goes im going to end with 2 gtx 1080s in sli, also ive been cheking monitors that are coming out next year and the only1 that stands out is the asus rog swift pg27uq the 4k 144hz one, but thats about the only cool 4k monitor they announced at ces, and my guess is its gonna cost WAYYY more than what my budget is.

1 minute ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

Acer is also coming out with one, and we might be getting other ips hdr g sync monitors. So if  you're willing to wait, you could get something much better for around the same price. Some sources say 1200, others say 1700 from what I've seen so far, but I think it's worth waiting for even if you're on a budget.

As for you GPU horse power, I imagine that will do it, but you'll still have to turn settings down in a few games, but nothing too noticeable I would imagine.

alright well that about does it for this topic then, ty for all the help, i guess i can wait a few more months to see if something pops out thats around my budget, nyways thx again.