[RUMOUR] 32GB macbook coming later this year

Thomas_baas
5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You dont see Linus ragging on the XPS though do you? 

That's because the XPS, overpriced or not, is better than the mbp in quite a few fields and especially the ones Linus is personally interested in.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The issue is blown way out of proportion though. And yes, I did forget to mention the quad cores, but they are still very weak compared to even a desktop i5. If you are doing serious rendering work you arent going to be using a macbook

Are they? A friend of mine benchmarked his 15" 2015 model and it got VERY close to a desktop i5.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

wow they added more ram looks like we get less battery for an extra 1500$ WOOHOOO

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

That's because the XPS, overpriced or not, is better than the mbp in quite a few fields and especially the ones Linus is personally interested in.

For example...

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Are they? A friend of mine benchmarked his 15" 2015 model and it got VERY close to a desktop i5.

IIRC the 2015 model had a faster model quad core compared to the newer Skylake CPUs. And again, if you are a serious user, you are going to have an i7 or a Xeon

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

For example...

For example expandability.

IIRC the 2015 model had a faster model quad core compared to the newer Skylake CPUs. And again, if you are a serious user, you are going to have an i7 or a Xeon

That's possible, but again this would be a further weakness of the new model, not a justification for other issues. You could be a serious user who needs to travel, hence someone who needs a laptop - have you considered that? Unless you're willing to bring with you your desktop with all the xeons you want, you'll have to come to a compromise. That doesn't mean you won't want the best performance you can get on your laptop, it will be slower than a desktop but that doesn't mean it has to be complete garbage either.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

That's possible, but again this would be a further weakness of the new model, not a justification for other issues. You could be a serious user who needs to travel, hence someone who needs a laptop - have you considered that? Unless you're willing to bring with you your desktop with all the xeons you want, you'll have to come to a compromise. That doesn't mean you won't want the best performance you can get on your laptop, it will be slower than a desktop but that doesn't mean it has to be complete garbage either.

Then why wouldnt you be like Linus and the crew and bring high end workstation laptops? If you really need to do productivity work you can sacrafice some luggage space for a big laptop

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

I don't know about the series as a whole, but the one I linked to had soldered on RAM.  I consider that a dirty tactic.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Then why wouldnt you be like Linus and the crew and bring high end workstation laptops? If you really need to do productivity work you can sacrafice some luggage space for a big laptop

What is your obsession with bringing Linus into this?  He's not on this thread.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

What is your obsession with bringing Linus into this?  He's not on this thread.

Because people often follow him and hes a good example of a proffesional

Spoiler

AXIOM

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Well then what is a mulltiple-thousand-bucks machine like the mbp even for? It's not just about bringing it with you in the luggage, it's about using it while you are moving, not to mention that desktop-like "laptops" often have very low battery lives because of the high power draw (and by the way, the mbp fails even in this field because they halved the battery for the sake of 3mm nobody cared about). Other manufacturers offer high power laptops that do this sort of thing, often for cheaper than the mbp too.

The truth is that the mbp is not "pro" at all, it's a facebook machine. And quite frankly a facebook machine has no right to cost over 1200$.

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't know about the series as a whole, but the one I linked to had soldered on RAM.  I consider that a dirty tactic.

I agree, still more expandable than the mbp by a long shot given the port variety and (I think) replaceable storage.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well then what is a mulltiple-thousand-bucks machine like the mbp even for? It's not just about bringing it with you in the luggage, it's about using it while you are moving, not to mention that desktop-like "laptops" often have very low battery lives because of the high power draw (and by the way, the mbp fails even in this field because they halved the battery for the sake of 3mm nobody cared about). Other manufacturers offer high power laptops that do this sort of thing, often for cheaper than the mbp too.

The truth is that the mbp is not "pro" at all, it's a facebook machine. And quite frankly a facebook machine has no right to cost over 1200$.

I agree, still more expandable than the mbp by a long shot given the port variety and (I think) replaceable storage.

For say a game dev who needs the APIs available on MacBook in a light package. Or for college students who need programs available only on macOS. Its definitely not for say a video editor

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

For say a game dev who needs the APIs available on MacBook in a light package. Or for college students who need programs available only on macOS. Its definitely not for say a video editor

Hmm, why would a game dev of all things want macOS apis? And I'd love to hear an example of an industry standard program that isn't available on windows.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hmm, why would a game dev of all things want macOS apis? And I'd love to hear an example of an industry standard program that isn't available on windows.

To make a game on macOS? And that I dont know, I do know they exist but not exact names

Spoiler

AXIOM

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So they could make their games Mac-compatible.

To make a game on macOS? And that I dont know, I do know they exist but not exact names

I'm pretty sure they don't exist.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

So they could make their games Mac-compatible.

So... a computer designed for people who develop for that computer? That's the ultimate circlejerk...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People can't stop arguing over apple huh? Like, jeez, what's your problem? Let Apple do their thing and let the people that buy apple do their thing. I myself have a 256GB 7Plus, iPad mini 4, and my self-built PC runs MacOS. But I love windows too, all of my laptops are equipped with Win10 and I enjoy android too. can we just all get along?

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

22 minutes ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

People can't stop arguing over apple huh? Like, jeez, what's your problem? Let Apple do their thing and let the people that buy apple do their thing. I myself have a 256GB 7Plus, iPad mini 4, and my self-built PC runs MacOS. But I love windows too, all of my laptops are equipped with Win10 and I enjoy android too. can we just all get along?

Preach man

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 hours ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

At least for me, it's got nothing to do with brands.  I'm not bashing all Apple products.  I'm saying that Apple shouldn't be bullshitting customers any more than other companies should.  Every company has done it at one point or another, and every time I disagree with it.

4 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

There are a few gaming-related APIs on the Mac, in fact:

- Metal (low-level graphics API -- it actually predates Vulkan)

- OpenGL (it's an OS-independent standard, but it's good to test on Mac hardware)

- GameKit (social elements like Game Center)

- And of course, anything to do with iOS development

At any rate, if the analyst note is accurate, this year's MBP refresh will at least address some of the gripes people had on launch.  You can definitely do some heavy lifting on a MacBook Pro -- it just needs more RAM for extra-intensive tasks.

Awesome, if the price cut is right and i can pick up a base one at around 1300 euro. i might do it.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Excited to get the refreshed tbMBP. The prices should be a bit lower and all the bugs from the first generation should be sorted out.

Maybe this thread is going to be shown in wan shown... Hope so

9 minutes ago, Thomas_baas said:

Maybe this thread is going to be shown in wan shown... Hope so

In case it does

@Linus Your double earrings look weird!

Trash. They're just a pretty chromebook. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Glad to hear that's 32GB RAM and not 32GB system storage, I wouldn't put it past Apple to do such a thing then market it to professionals xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR