[RUMOUR] 32GB macbook coming later this year

Thomas_baas

Apple will release updated Mac notebooks with Intel's next-generation Kaby Lake processors later this year, according to the latest research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo said new 12-inch MacBook models with Kaby Lake processors will enter mass production in the early second quarter, which starts in March, and noted a 16GB of RAM option could be added—presumably as a high-end or built-to-order configuration. The two current 12-inch MacBook configurations include 8GB of RAM.

Kuo also expects Apple to discount the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a standard row of function keys this year as that model gradually replaces the 13-inch MacBook Air in Apple's notebook lineup.

While no release dates were mentioned, Kuo previously said he expects new MacBook Pro models with 32GB of RAM to launch in the second half of 2017.

So well, a 32GB macbook coming...?

Article: http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/16/kaby-lake-macbooks-ming-chi-kuo/

No. They make arguments why they didn't put 32GB RAM in the MBP 2016.

Also, a core M will be bottlenecked a long time before you'll ever need 16GB RAM.

8 minutes ago, Thomas_baas said:

So well, a 32GB macbook coming...?

Article: http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/16/kaby-lake-macbooks-ming-chi-kuo/

I thought that schiller told us why 16GB was the maximum they could do. Also, ripperoni 13 MBP with Skylake when Kabylake is now here.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I thought that schiller told us why 16GB was the maximum they could do. Also, ripperoni 13 MBP with Skylake when Kabylake is now here.

He lied.  Tests showed an almost non-existent increase in power consumption when using more RAM.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

He lied.  Tests showed an almost non-existent increase in power consumption when using more RAM.

It's not really about battery life but the bottleneck imposed by Skylake CPUs that limits it to 16 GB of LPDDR3 memory on a single channel. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

It's not really about battery life but the bottleneck imposed by Skylake CPUs that limits it to 16 GB of LPDDR3 memory on a single channel. 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/28/13460496/apple-macbook-pro-16gb-ram-battery-life-phil-schiller

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

LMG didn't do very thorough testing.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

16 minutes ago, CalciumTech said:

No. They make arguments why they didn't put 32GB RAM in the MBP 2016.

Also, a core M will be bottlenecked a long time before you'll ever need 16GB RAM.

Maybe they just didn't want to reveal that a 32GB version was coming, so they setup a hoax...

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Stick 32GB of RAM in a laptop.  The battery life isn't going to plummet.  Now if Apple had said it was about Skylake limitations, that would be different.  But it's not what they said.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not relevant since you can simply look at the power draw of ram to see its effect via spec, and frankly its a tiny amount thus was a horrid excuse

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This reminds me of a debacle 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

look at the power draw of ram to see its effect via spe

Normally the spec don't show power draw in all different uses. Apple did lots of testing.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally the spec don't show power draw in all different uses. Apple did lots of testing.

Oh please, don't give me that.  Adding RAM has never caused drastic power draws ever, and it never will.  Macbooks aren't special.  They're just parts that Apple paid other people to manufacture, then soldered together so you can't replace anything if it goes bad.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Oh please, don't give me that.  Adding RAM has never caused drastic power draws ever, and it never will.  Macbooks aren't special.  They're just parts that Apple paid other people to manufacture, then soldered together so you can't replace anything if it goes bad.

"The truth shall set you free" John 8:32

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

with laptops, the ram can often use about 30% of the total system power. Also ddr3l also uses much less power at idle 

For a laptop, than can mean anouther hour of battery life, and many more days of connected standby.

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Macbooks aren't special. 

but there built much better than almost any other laptop out there.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

"The truth shall set you free" John 8:32

Lol, I'm just getting frustrated with Apple more each year.  I run a small computer repair business, and with each generation there's less I can do to fix Macbooks, because they keep making more parts proprietary and soldering more parts on.  Someone brought in a 2009 model a couple weeks ago, and one of the RAM slots had gone bad, which isn't incredibly uncommon for that particular model.  Normally I would just replace the motherboard, but Apple decided to solder on the CPU.  What should have been a $50 part ended up costing $350.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

with laptops, the ram can often use about 30% of the total system power. Also ddr3l also uses much less power at idle 

For a laptop, than can mean anouther hour of battery life, and many more days of connected standby.

but there built much better than almost any other laptop out there.

No they aren't.  I've opened up plenty of them.  The only thing special about the way they are built is that they've added new ways to make it incredibly expensive to repair them, thus forcing you to buy a new computer when one part goes out.  It's a scam.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

No they aren't.  I've opened up plenty of them.

really? they put much more attetion to detail than almost every other laptop out there and spend money on lots of little things like rubber hdd mounts, screwed in connectors and others.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

really? they put much more attetion to detail than almost every other laptop out there and spend money on lots of little things like rubber hdd mounts, screwed in connectors and others.

Not in my experience.  As I explained above (see my edit), the only thing that really puts them apart is soldering and using proprietary parts to force users to buy new computers when a part goes bad, instead of just repairing it for $100 or less.

34 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

What he meant was to utilize more ram you need more powerful machine overall. So higher end CPU = more power consumption from CPU not only the ram itself....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Oh so I was right. (like always)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

oh, apple lied, nothing new there

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>