Monitor burning smell?

Krigga

Hi,

I built my computer a few days ago. I noticed there is a burning smell coming from the back of my monitor. I don't know how long it has been there for, because I have a poor sense of smell. But when I went close to the monitor I was able to smell a burning smell. What do I do?

Unplug everything and open it up for inspection

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Unplug everything and open it up for inspection

Anything I should be looking for specifically?

1. Unplug it.

2. Return it.

3. Buy a different monitor.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

1. Unplug it.

2. Return it.

3. Buy a different monitor.

That doesn't help. What is wrong with it and how can I fix it?

2 minutes ago, djmoney said:

How old is the monitor?  

A few days old. Brand new.

5 minutes ago, Krigga said:

If you have a brand new monitor that smells like smoke, who the hell cares what's wrong with it? Take it back.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

If you have a brand new monitor that smells like smoke, who the hell cares what's wrong with it? Take it back.

I've heard people have encountered similar problems on other monitors.

6 minutes ago, Krigga said:

Agreed  get a replacement,  and check for burning smell on the replacement and go from there.  

8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

and open it up for inspection

and void the warranty on a potentially "DOA" product?

just give the store you got it from a call, if it's only a few days old they should take it back pretty much no questions asked.

Just now, Krigga said:

Yet you still bought it? Congrats. Don't worry I made same mistakes like you ignoring customer review.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yet you still bought it? Congrats. Don't worry I made same mistakes like you ignoring customer review.

I'm going to let you realise your own mistake.

1 minute ago, Krigga said:

and those people are idiots if they dont return them to the store.

if its new out the box, it shouldnt smell like it's dying. thats like saying "excuse me butcher, my steak is rotting" and him answering "oh, just pepper it, you wont notice".

Yes, and they returned them.

Opening up your monitor to see what's wrong voids the warranty and makes it ineligible for return. You can open up your monitor to see the burnt transistor, pat yourself on the back for solving the problem then be stuck with a non-functioning fire hazard, or you can take the damn thing back and make it the manufacturer's problem while you enjoy your shiny new replacement.

I'm going to let you realise your own mistake.

what mistake did he make? tell you what the right thing to do is?

I have had other electronics that have a "burning" smell when new but were fine later.  You could unplug everything but power and leave it on hoping it doesn't burn down your house but I would just return it.  

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

what mistake did he make? tell you what the right thing to do is?

What I said: "I've heard people have encountered similar problems on other monitors"

What he responded with: "Yet you still bought it? Congrats. Don't worry I made same mistakes like you ignoring customer review. "

*facepalm*

1 minute ago, djmoney said:

I have had other electronics that have a "burning" smell when new but were fine later.  You could unplug everything but power and leave it on hoping it doesn't burn down your house but I would just return it.  

from experience, that can mean the part that failed wasnt *critical* but you are running something with a failed part inside.

last time i had a device with an LCD that smelled faintly like burn, it went up in a puff of smoke a week later.

What I said: "I've heard people have encountered similar problems on other monitors"

What he responded with: "Yet you still bought it? Congrats. Don't worry I made same mistakes like you ignoring customer review. "

*facepalm*

yes, i can read, so can you, now follow the advice given to you.

Just now, manikyath said:

from experience, that can mean the part that failed wasnt *critical* but you are running something with a failed part inside.

last time i had a device with an LCD that smelled faintly like burn, it went up in a puff of smoke a week later.

Reason being, the shop is about an hour away. Ugh. I've already had to return my keyboard for a broken light.

yes, i can read, so can you, now follow the advice given to you.

I was just pointing out the fact that he didn't read what I typed.

Just now, Krigga said:

Reason being, the shop is about an hour away. Ugh. I've already had to return my keyboard for a broken light.

unfortunate isnt it? i've been on that distance 3 times for a faulty router because i had the great luck of having all the DOA's in the pile.

either you suck it up and go the drive, or you deal with the potential of a puff of smoke at any time.

this is the time to return the monitor and go somewhere else to buy. Clearly that place have issues if you had to return a keyboard prior to this.

unfortunate isnt it? i've been on that distance 3 times for a faulty router because i had the great luck of having all the DOA's in the pile.

either you suck it up and go the drive, or you deal with the potential of a puff of smoke at any time.

Well my Dad has to drive me so...