To SLI or wait

So I just got an Asus ROG swift pg279q.  It is an amazing monitor, and I love it.  I went a bit overkill because I wanted to get to that FPS level at some point.  

I am currently running factory OC EVGA 970.  With the 10xx cards out I have noticed a drop in the price of the 970s in the used and open box markets.  I was wondering if I should grab one of these cards to stretch get a little more out of my system or just wait and get a 1080 or 1080 ti?

Also is it worth getting 970,  I was reading that there are some issues with SLI 970?  My specific card is below.  Has anyone had issues with SLIing say an Asus and a EVGA or EVGA and a MSI 970?

Then what is a good price for a 970 in the us at this time?   

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2972-KR 4GB 

quick specs

I7 6700K 

H100i 

32 gb ram

GTX 970 

Samsung Evo 850 

Asus Z170 Pro gaming aura 

2 minutes ago, djmoney said:

-snip-

Most games dont run SLI. Its better to get a single card. I mean, it is your choice to run SLI and buy another 970 with the prices going down, but depending on what games you play, if any at all, depends on what you want to do. 

10 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

but depending on what games you play,

I tend to play games that are a little old.  Example I am playing Fallout 4 right now.  I am getting about 74 FPS on that.  

I also play Heros of the Storm I am already getting 165 fps on that.  

I don't play bleeding edge games just because i don't want to pay full price for a game.  I often can't play for weeks or months so I don't want a game to go on sale before I even get to play it.   

the way i see it the 3.5 / 4 gb VRAM is the most concerning thing. with that said if you can find a 970 dirt cheap then i don't see the harm of doing SLI. if everything's all right with the universe, 970 SLI will be on par or slightly faster than a 1070. but it'll suck if scaling isn't there or just plain doesn't work 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I see I got here after the parrots.

No problem with SLI, other than making sure you have the space and airflow in your case. Scaling is great in a lot of games, awesome in some.

If you already have a 970 and don't want the headache of selling picking up a second on the cheap is a great way to get by until Volta.

Make sure you get as close to what you already have as possible. Any 970 will work in SLI but the closer the cards the more stable they are in SLI. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Depend on what games you'll be playing and how long you plan to keep the cards.

Some games will scale great out  of the box, some need to fiddle with NVinspector/NVCP to get great scaling, some need to fiddle to get smooth frame time, some need to fiddle to get scaling, some need to disable SLI to get good frame time.

Latest SLI profile is only updated thru GFE so you're forced to install GFE.

If you have the budget for upcoming "1080 Ti" then wait for that or grab 970 SLi now and sell it when the "1080 Ti" is available.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 1/17/2017 at 0:36 AM, xAcid9 said:

If you have the budget for upcoming "1080 Ti" then wait for that or grab 970 SLi now and sell it when the "1080 Ti" is available.

this is basically the question I asked.  I will for sure sell the 970(s) if I get a 1080Ti.  I am just wondering if it would be a complete waste of money to get a 970 for SLI.  

I guess one option I would have is to get a 970 for SLI and Skip the 10XX series and wait for 11XX?.  

I don't feel like the my single 970 is causing any issues at this point.  It just you don't know what you are missing until you get a taste.  

On 17/01/2017 at 3:47 AM, djmoney said:

So I just got an Asus ROG swift pg279q.  It is an amazing monitor, and I love it.  I went a bit overkill because I wanted to get to that FPS level at some point.  

I am currently running factory OC EVGA 970.  With the 10xx cards out I have noticed a drop in the price of the 970s in the used and open box markets.  I was wondering if I should grab one of these cards to stretch get a little more out of my system or just wait and get a 1080 or 1080 ti?

Also is it worth getting 970,  I was reading that there are some issues with SLI 970?  My specific card is below.  Has anyone had issues with SLIing say an Asus and a EVGA or EVGA and a MSI 970?

Then what is a good price for a 970 in the us at this time?   

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2972-KR 4GB 

quick specs

I7 6700K 

H100i 

32 gb ram

GTX 970 

Samsung Evo 850 

Asus Z170 Pro gaming aura 

Congratulations on the monitor. I've got the same one, and it's great.

If I were you, I'd wait for the 1080 Ti, and put the sale of your 970 towards the cost. 

7 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

If I were you, I'd wait for the 1080 Ti, and put the sale of your 970 towards the cost. 

thanks

I would suggest that you wait for the release of Vega also and then look at all of you options

3 hours ago, djmoney said:

thanks

I'd go with the dual 970s, they do very well when compared to a single 1080. The 1080 Ti isn't likely to happen and the 970 gets within 5Hz when looking at 3840x2160 and they get within 20Hz on most GPU-intensive titles at 2560x1440.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers