Ram Frequency. What happens if?

What happens if I get a 3000 mhz RAM but it says on my motherboard that to reach this frequency I have to overclock the ram but I don't. So basically I don't overclock the ram and the motherboard says to reach this frequency I have to overclock. Also is it worth it? And what should I get if I want 32 gb DDR4. 

It will run at a default speed supported by the board. When a board says you can have to OC the RAM to get that speed, it's just a matter of enabling XMP and selecting the speed, not really overclocking. 

4 minutes ago, Phred_2468 said:

What happens if I get a 3000 mhz RAM but it says on my motherboard that to reach this frequency I have to overclock the ram but I don't. So basically I don't overclock the ram and the motherboard says to reach this frequency I have to overclock. Also is it worth it? And what should I get if I want 32 gb DDR4. 

If you choose not to overclock the RAM then it'll simply not be overclocked, nothing bad will happen.

Try loading the XMP profile for the RAM in your UEFI and see if it boots to the 3000MHz speed.

11 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It will run at a default speed supported by the board. When a board says you can have to OC the RAM to get that speed, it's just a matter of enabling XMP and selecting the speed, not really overclocking. 

It's overclocking if you're going beyond the specs of the memory controller. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

If you choose not to overclock the RAM then it'll simply not be overclocked, nothing bad will happen.

Try loading the XMP profile for the RAM in your UEFI and see if it boots to the 3000MHz speed.

will this void the warranty?

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

5 minutes ago, Phred_2468 said:

You should go to the manufacturer website and check out their terms of service. 

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

And you say that it's not actually overclocking right? can you specify what exactly you do? Thanks

4 hours ago, Phred_2468 said:

And you say that it's not actually overclocking right? can you specify what exactly you do? Thanks

Basically anytime you're enabling XMP you're loading a pre-loaded overclock.

When RAM manufacturers sell kits rated at XXXXMHz they're selling you binned DIMMS that have been determined to overclock to that specified level and be stable.

I can't imagine any motherboard manufacturer voiding your warranty just because you enabled XMP on the RAM you bought.