Should I get the 3960X or the 6600K (On a tight budget)

Hi There,

As a student, you can expect money is reasonably tight. I'm looking to improve my rig.

I think my best bet is to go for some used hardware, and on eBay I've found the 3960X and the 6600K as my possible options, they will both cost around the same. 

If I went with the older i7, the IPC count would be lower and compared to the i5 in gaming, it wouldn't fare as good. However,  I also plan to do a bit of video editing and tasks alike. As it can be overclocked (I see people getting it to around 4.5GHz), I'm sure that it won't be a bad experience. In addition to the higher core count and cache size, I hope this should suffice for the next couple of years while I wait for the used market in the Z1/270 area to expand.

I could go for the 6600K, which gives me the option for expansion to other chips using the LGA 1151 socket, combined with the higher core clock speeds and IPC count, this would be a viable option but due to my budget restrictions, I want to get the most performance out of as little price as possible.

Basically, I'm just asking for options as I don't really know what to go for.

TL;DR - Should I get the 3960X or 6600K? Need the best price to performance due to budget.

Thanks,

Sam

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

what about a 7600k?

3 minutes ago, Sdvf said:

I think my best bet is to go for some used hardware, and on -> eBay <- I've found the 3960X and the 6600K as my possible options, they will both cost around the same. 

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

what about a 7600k?

someone didnt pay attention to ANY of the kaby lake reviews. its 100% pointless to get a 7600k. Just get a 6600k and save some money they are the same cpu essentially

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Make two builds and show them to us.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

also keep in mind that DDR3 is cheaper than DDR4, so the older X79 platform will be cheaper for RAM upgrades

but X79 motherboards are rare and expensive AF. You also lose support for stuff like m.2 (don't think it was around back then, correct me if I'm wrong).

but yes, the 3960x will be better for stuff that can take advantage of the 6 cores, but may lose to the i5 in games.

If you can find the 3960x and motherboard for significantly cheaper than the i5, go for it.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System