PC won't power on, but the green power light that is located on the motherboard is. Help

Wyatt Ba

I just installed a pcie usb hub, before that it was working just fine. Ive tried every thing and nothing has worked. 

Hi,

I'm afraid nobody is going to help you with the information you provided.

Give the complete specs of your system, specifically explain what you did and how you did it and what troubleshooting steps you tried already. Then someone might actually have some helpful advice for you.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

6 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Hi,

I'm afraid nobody is going to help you with the information you provided.

Give the complete specs of your system, specifically explain what you did and how you did it and what troubleshooting steps you tried already. Then someone might actually have some helpful advice for you.

This is my first build btw.

i5 6400, GTX 960, Asus z170a mobo, Corsair h55 cooler, PNY 240gb ssd, 1tb hard drive, PCIE usb hub, Avexir core 16gb memory, and NZXT n450 case. 

I have tried taking out battery and rebooting, Ive tried a new psu, I've tried reseating the memory and gpu, again the problem evolved after i installed the PCIE usb hub, and I've also tried the power on with it removed. Same results with all of theses methods. 

I wouldn't surprised if there is a sort somewhere. 

Do any of the fans spin up?  If not, you should make sure the power switch on your case is working.  Try removing and reconnecting the power pin (probably labeled PWRSW or something) from the motherboard.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do any of the fans spin up?  If not, you should make sure the power switch on your case is working.  Try removing and reconnecting the power pin (probably labeled PWRSW or something) from the motherboard.

Before the fans did flicker (corsair ml blue led) and i could hear the baring jerk, but then everything went blank. 

I mean the power switch pin does kinda look bent, prob from me trying to pull on it too hard. 

1 minute ago, Wyatt Ba said:

Before the fans did flicker (corsair ml blue led) and i could hear the baring jerk, but then everything went blank. 

I mean the power switch pin does kinda look bent, prob from me trying to pull on it too hard. 

If they aren't making any movement when you press the power button now, then it's probably either the connector or the pins.  You could try connecting the two pins with the tip of a straight screwdriver.  Completing the circuit is basically the same thing as pressing the power button.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

If they aren't making any movement when you press the power button now, then it's probably either the connector or the pins.  You could try connecting the two pins with the tip of a straight screwdriver.  Completing the circuit is basically the same thing as pressing the power button.

Okay, I'll try that. Ill respond asap 

I won't be able to get back to you for a couple hours.

IT POWERED ON THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Great!  Most likely the connector was damaged at some point, maybe by being yanked.  See if you can push the wire a little further into the plastic piece.  Worst case scenario, you get a new case or just always leave your computer turned on.

48 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Great!  Most likely the connector was damaged at some point, maybe by being yanked.  See if you can push the wire a little further into the plastic piece.  Worst case scenario, you get a new case or just always leave your computer turned on.

Ok, so after basically rebuilding the pc I try it again before i start to zip tie down cables, the fans flashed and then no life. I unplugged the power switch and just hit the power switch on the mob and the same thing happened. Should i just replace the power switch or what?? 

Ok, so after basically rebuilding the pc I try it again before i start to zip tie down cables, the fans flashed and then no life. I unplugged the power switch and just hit the power switch on the mob and the same thing happened. Should i just replace the power switch or what?? 

Using a screwdriver isn't working anymore?

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Using a screwdriver isn't working anymore?

I tried it, and the same thing happened. I don't understand... the computer was working before, but that was before i installed most of the components. so that tells me there is a sort somewhere. Ill try tonight.

I tried it, and the same thing happened. I don't understand... the computer was working before, but that was before i installed most of the components. so that tells me there is a sort somewhere. Ill try tonight.

Almost definitely the power supply then.  Do you have either a multimeter or a spare power supply?

14 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Almost definitely the power supply then.  Do you have either a multimeter or a spare power supply?

I do have a spare, however it is from a company called Delta. I had it on my previous machine (Asus prebuilt) and i didn't have any issues. 

I do have a spare, however it is from a company called Delta. I had it on my previous machine (Asus prebuilt) and i didn't have any issues. 

Give it a shot.

10 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Give it a shot.

I did, and it works. Thankfully I'm well within the warranty so ill call up evga. Thanks for the help

Never mind, i replaced the psu and before it was working just fine with the psu outside of the system, but now with it inside theres nothing. Idk if something I'm sorting every psu i install or what. 

3 minutes ago, Wyatt Ba said:

Never mind, i replaced the psu and before it was working just fine with the psu outside of the system, but now with it inside theres nothing. Idk if something I'm sorting every psu i install or what. 

every time i have the psu outside of the case, it works fine. but whenever its inside, nothing works but the green power light on the mob. 

23 minutes ago, Wyatt Ba said:

every time i have the psu outside of the case, it works fine. but whenever its inside, nothing works but the green power light on the mob. 

Ok, so i installed the psu, all is good. All is working. I think i found the issue... the fan hub that came with my case. Whenever i plug it in, via molex (the front panel usb hub is also on this molex connector) the system just shuts off. 

You might have a short or or maybe the hub is wired incorrectly. Possible grounding issue. That doesn't sound normal at all. I might look into getting it replaced. Doesn't matter if you have multiple things on the same line. You have something bad going on, and I vote for looking into it just to make sure it's not something that will cause harm in the future.

13 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You might have a short or or maybe the hub is wired incorrectly. Possible grounding issue. That doesn't sound normal at all. I might look into getting it replaced. Doesn't matter if you have multiple things on the same line. You have something bad going on, and I vote for looking into it just to make sure it's not something that will cause harm in the future.

I have ordered a silver stone fan hub. Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Wyatt Ba said:

I have ordered a silver stone fan hub. Thanks. 

Ok. Just for future protection, I might look at removing the hub that's giving you trouble. That way its not taking up space, and prevents you from forgetting it gave you trouble. Plus, you'll be happy with Silverstone products. Enjoy!