[Troubleshooting] Asus Z270E 7700k OC'ing

Go to solution Solved by NiiWiiCamo,

Thx @Mark17 and @coalminer071, just figured out the UEFI settings aren't quite supposed to be used..."Officially we don't support overclocking, plus we aren't trained for these scenarios" - Asus Germany Support hotline.

Turns out i had to install their bloatware infested suite, managed to OC to 4.9 just now. Also now I can actually change the fan profiles so that 30% on the curve doen't mean 100% fan speed.

And yes, via the UEFI i could only effectively change the CPU clock by altering the baseclock, the core multiplier did nothing - <sarcasm>thanks Asus tech support</sarcasm>

Hi Guys,

I just upgraded my setup to an Asus Z270E Strix Gaming and a 7700k in a Corsair H570X. Since I am currently not willing to shell out the money to change my custom loop, the CPU is currently running with a bequiet Dark Rock 3.

The CPU I got was pre-tested by the seller for 4,8GHz@1,32V.

But here's the problem: I can't get the core frequency to change without touching the baseclock, which I will not do. I've set everything to manual, changed the multiplier (Sync all cores is enabled) and went to save and exit, but only got a powercycle in return. I went for a mild OC of 4,4GHz from 4,2 Base and left the voltage on Auto this time. I was greeted by my Windows login screen and was immediately disappointed when I found out that the OC didn't take. Tested with CPU-Z and AIDA64 stress test.

Maybe anyone has an idea on how to troubleshoot this, since my last system was three years old and still managed to have a simpler UI than anything I found.

Full system specs:

Intel Core i7-7700k @4,2GHz Stock

Asus Z270E Strix Gaming

Gigabyte Gaming 1080

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3466MHz

Greetings from a first time poster!

NWC

P.S.: I'm also having trouble with the autpmatic fan control, I set it to only start the case fans in the temp exceeded 45°C, but they keep turning on for a few seconds all the time while idling at 30°C...

2 minutes ago, NiiWiiCamo said:

Hi Guys,

I just upgraded my setup to an Asus Z270E Strix Gaming and a 7700k in a Corsair H570X. Since I am currently not willing to shell out the money to change my custom loop, the CPU is currently running with a bequiet Dark Rock 3.

But here's the problem: I can't get the core frequency to change without touching the baseclock, which I will not do. I've set everything to manual, changed the multiplier (Sync all cores is enabled) and went to save and exit, but only got a powercycle in return. I went for a mild OC of 4,4GHz from 4,2 Base and left the voltage on Auto this time. I was greeted by my Windows login screen and was immediately disappointed when I found out that the OC didn't take. Tested with CPU-Z and AIDA64 stress test.

Maybe anyone has an idea on how to troubleshoot this, since my last system was three years old and still managed to have a simpler UI than anything I found.

Full system specs:

Asus Z270E Strix Gaming

Gigabyte Gaming 1080

NWC

P.S.: I'm also having trouble with the autpmatic fan control, I set it to only start the case fans in the temp exceeded 45°C, but they keep turning on for a few seconds all the time while idling at 30°C...

are you sure that it is the baseclock cause I think I can only change my turbo clock on my asus board but I could be wrong or do you mean your blck just don't touch that.

4 minutes ago, NiiWiiCamo said:

Hi Guys,

Full system specs:

Asus Z270E Strix Gaming

Gigabyte Gaming 1080

NWC

Run your DRAM at Jedec speeds and try again.

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

Thx @Mark17 and @coalminer071, just figured out the UEFI settings aren't quite supposed to be used..."Officially we don't support overclocking, plus we aren't trained for these scenarios" - Asus Germany Support hotline.

Turns out i had to install their bloatware infested suite, managed to OC to 4.9 just now. Also now I can actually change the fan profiles so that 30% on the curve doen't mean 100% fan speed.

And yes, via the UEFI i could only effectively change the CPU clock by altering the baseclock, the core multiplier did nothing - <sarcasm>thanks Asus tech support</sarcasm>