Dashcam Roundup

Buy Skyview A118 on Amazon: http://geni.us/fHpPWa

Buy Blacksys CH-100B on Amazon: http://geni.us/ioq5xgm

Buy G1W-C on Amazon: http://geni.us/3ejA8

Buy Yi Dashcam on Amazon: http://geni.us/ffwVHUX

Buy Blackvue DR-650S on Amazon: http://geni.us/0aehk

Buy Thinkware F770 on Amazon: http://geni.us/NraB

Monitoring your vehicle throughout the day is a pretty important task, and you shouldn't leave it to just any product... Here are our recommendations for single- and dual-camera dashcams!

4 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

I don't know what some people dislike about edzel, I think ed's videos are the best LTT videos :D

I think people just use the c word to act "cool" in the comments sections. Much improved Edzel. Keep it up.

It would be arrogant - arrogant, Linus- to not recognize that you've been surpassed and retire from on-screen appearances to focus on doing the best production job you can for Edzel Tech Tips.

When I click the link for the Skyview A118 on Amazon, it returns a page with 0 results. Is this the correct product name / link?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

I don't know what some people dislike about edzel, I think ed's videos are the best LTT videos :D

I don't have any problem with Edzel or the videos he hosts, I just find him hard to understand. He doesn't enunciate his words and his sentences tend to come out mumbled. Apologies, just a bit of constructive criticism. 

How I wish they've included license plate cameras like this one from Amazon. But I'll probably pick the Blackvue.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Joe zombie said:

When I click the link for the Skyview A118 on Amazon, it returns a page with 0 results. Is this the correct product name / link?

Thanks.

It's entirely dependent on region - we link to an Amazon search string, so unfortunately some products won't be available in all regions :(

should have left this video to techmoan, also the A118 has been updated to the A119 which has improved most of the niggles.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

why recommend the A118 when there's a better one in A119?  Also, if you are going to get the A118, get the A118C which uses a capacitor instead of Li-ion battey. Capacitors have higher max temperature limit whereas the Li batteries will get damaged under intense heat during the summer.

check out dashcamtalk.com if you want good reviews or you can ask for advice on their forum.

I don't like that there wasn't a spreadsheet. LINUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the Thinkware F750 in my ride with the rear camera. Total cost with installation and the hardwire kit ran just shy of $500.

Agree, the 1080p image quality is top notch both at day and night on both cameras. In my case I turned off the lane departure warning since it goes nuts on roads where lane markings are faded or not there. I also turned off the collision warning because it was just too sensitive when pulling up to vehicles, and the noise was a nuisance. I also turned off the parking mode motion detection, since when you park at a busy mall or any place with people walking by your car all the time you will return to the car with 50-100 "events". Red light camera alerts are cool though. I also like that I can loop record a 4 hour stretch on a 64GB memory card.

I particularly like the Windows Thinkviewer software for reviewing footage that's included in the package as well. The camera records not just audio and video, but imbeds a time-stamp on each frame with GPS coordinates, vehicle speed and g-force level, and shows the timeline of this along with a small Google maps box of your exact location. So when you replay it to a judge for example, it will show not only where you were, but exactly how fast you were going before, during and after any impact event, along with the force of such impact.

If you think that $500 is expensive, the setup saved my ass within 3 months when some wingnut blew through a stop sign and took out my front end. Luckily I had no injuries, the car was repairable and not totaled.

Forget the crazy Russian driver videos you see on YouTube - invest in a dash cam ASAP. Whenever you get into trouble it can save your ass and your car. Use it to record a great drive and when you are done with your car, just take it with you and use it in your next ride - the investment will pay off.

5 hours ago, nicklmg said:

It's entirely dependent on region - we link to an Amazon search string, so unfortunately some products won't be available in all regions :(

* Insert Tunnel Bear advertisement *

There is always a failing on these test videos, that being that they are always done in well lit city/town areas.
If you live rural, there's things like being dazzled by high beams, tight roads (and drivers that still think they can do 100), dirt, wild life, and very little of it visible and few, if any cameras able to cope with the aggressive difference in exposures. 

Seen no cameras able to make any gain in dark areas, even with light pollution. Few are any good at seeing the full spread of the headlamps, none able to filter glare from oncoming headlamps and still see some of what your own beams actually cover.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

14 hours ago, Joe zombie said:

Thanks.

Skyview is just a brand that sells that dash cam. If you simply search for A118 dash-cam on amazon there are lots of other re-branded A118 that are the same thing just sold by a different company or just sold with a different label. this is fairly common of mass produced Chinese electronics if you want one branded by Skyview head over to Newegg (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9MP3GP7842). But you are fine purchasing any of the A118 off amazon they are all essentially the same camera. 

14 hours ago, Luscious said:

I particularly like the Windows Thinkviewer software for reviewing footage that's included in the package as well. The camera records not just audio and video, but imbeds a time-stamp on each frame with GPS coordinates, vehicle speed and g-force level, and shows the timeline of this along with a small Google maps box of your exact location. So when you replay it to a judge for example, it will show not only where you were, but exactly how fast you were going before, during and after any impact event, along with the force of such impact.

Is it possible to record or transfer the video without the coordinates, speed etc?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Is it possible to record or transfer the video without the coordinates, speed etc?

The output file is standard MP4, so yes, but you are stuck with the time stamp along the bottom - not too big a deal IMO. Speed, GPS and g-force data will show when using the Thinkviewer software to play the file, not when you use something like Windows Media player.

56 minutes ago, Luscious said:

The output file is standard MP4, so yes, but you are stuck with the time stamp along the bottom - not too big a deal IMO. Speed, GPS and g-force data will show when using the Thinkviewer software to play the file, not when you use something like Windows Media player.

Nah time and such is fine but speed and such can be a little detrimental to ones case :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I use a DDPai M6 Plus in my car and have done for about 4 months now. Love it! Image quality is very good in both day and night and adjusts to changing light condition very well. I only paid £90 for mine as well, which when considering its discrete, records at 1440p, has GPS, WiFi (and free app which now works very well), easily removable from it's magnetic windscreen mount for storing out of sight and has a small battery was a winner for me.

A really good reviewer for DashCams is a guy called Techmoan. He's based here in the UK and has had numerous of DashCams come through his site and YouTube channel. Obviously everyone has different needs/wants along with various different budgets so worth checking that out as well if perhaps Edzel's video didn't cover something that ticks all your boxes?

Next time you guys do video/image quality comparisons, please show at least a few seconds with all/some of the source videos tessellated together at the same time. It is extremely difficult to compare video clarity/night detail from one cut to the next.

Also, next time you do a "compare and pick a winner" video like this one, please establish a scoring method and list of desired features, and tell us what the method and desired features are. For example, it seemed that WiFi connectivity was a category that impacted a product's final ranking, but it is unclear if that is actually the case. More clarification is better.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode. Good job Edzel, hope to see you in front of the camera more.

I personally have a Zero Edge Z3, which I purchased after reading the review on The Wirecutter. I specifically like the 2560×1080 resolution at 30fps, which you can lower to standard 1080p to get 60fps. I'd enjoy seeing Linus Media Group's opinion of this camera.

anyone suggest the capacity of the sd card when coming to single 1080 p dashcam recording?