Power Supply Suggestions and Advise

Sin Stalker

So my computer was dead before my power supply. I prematurely posted several months ago for help with a computer that won't boot.  I was able to exclude the ssd as an issue but RL stuff prevented me from having the space to open up and test the rest of my computer.

That changed last night. I cleared and cleaned all night. Finally in the early morning hours, I set everything up. My unit has dual GPUs, so I took the time to remove one GPU. The pesky cable that powers the motherboard was in the way so I had to unplug it to get the large card out. This was my first ever computer build and I didn't know cable management was a thing. I'll change that, so no need to convince me.

Anyways, once the additional GPU was removed, I plugged in the power supply and flipped the switch. SNAP! 

A flash of light was seen from within the rear of the power supply. The fan of the unit, which had begun moving, quickly stopped. It refused to power up any all from that point on.

Upon inspection, I realized I never plugged back in the motherboard's power cable. Did this cause the power supply to fail? If not, is it possible not having the motherboard plugged in, actually saved my computer CPU and motherboard?

Anyways, assuming all that is overtly wrong is the power supply, I need a new one. Once I get a new one, I can test and run down what the other bad component is on my computer. 

Here is my dead power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

I'd like to buy either from newegg or amazon. I know LTT has amazon links so they get a kickback when purchased. I'd like to do that for them, if the right replacement is available. 

I'd also like something partially or fully modular. 

Thank you!

Anything Tier 1-3 from the PSU Tier list linked in my signature, with the wattage you require (though I personally think 850W might be a bit too much, but I don't know what exact hardware you have).

A Corsair RM750x would be a great option, for example.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

And just for it being said, if your PSU is going all Emperor Palpatine on you I wouldn't put my hardware in the same room.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

21 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

So my computer was dead before my power supply. I prematurely posted several months ago for help with a computer that won't boot.  I was able to exclude the ssd as an issue but RL stuff prevented me from having the space to open up and test the rest of my computer.

That changed last night. I cleared and cleaned all night. Finally in the early morning hours, I set everything up. My unit has dual GPUs, so I took the time to remove one GPU. The pesky cable that powers the motherboard was in the way so I had to unplug it to get the large card out. This was my first ever computer build and I didn't know cable management was a thing. I'll change that, so no need to convince me.

Anyways, once the additional GPU was removed, I plugged in the power supply and flipped the switch. SNAP! 

A flash of light was seen from within the rear of the power supply. The fan of the unit, which had begun moving, quickly stopped. It refused to power up any all from that point on.

Upon inspection, I realized I never plugged back in the motherboard's power cable. Did this cause the power supply to fail? If not, is it possible not having the motherboard plugged in, actually saved my computer CPU and motherboard?

Anyways, assuming all that is overtly wrong is the power supply, I need a new one. Once I get a new one, I can test and run down what the other bad component is on my computer. 

Here is my dead power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

I'd like to buy either from newegg or amazon. I know LTT has amazon links so they get a kickback when purchased. I'd like to do that for them, if the right replacement is available. 

I'd also like something partially or fully modular. 

Thank you!

Your PSU is under warranty. Just contact XFX and ask for a replacement.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

23 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Hi! Allow me to recommend you a PSU that's modular and can handle your crossfire setup. How much do you want to pay?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1.a. I'm not familiar with a tier system. What does each tier represent?

1.b. 850w is probably more than I need right now, but I'm not sure.

The problem is that I have another dead component on my computer. It is either the CPU (failing, not dead), motherboard (failing, not dead) OR it is one or both of the GPUs.

This rig was built in 2010 with the first gen i7 and the only upgrade has been an SSD.

My hope is that the only problem is with the GPUs. If that is the case, I was going to upgrade to a single GPU that has 4 ports, to run my 4 displays.

However, if it is another problem, then getting a power supply doesn't help, as I won't be able to afford to build an entire computer. At least not until the end of this coming summer.

Should I link my current components, to see if I can squeeze by with a lower wattage unit?

2. My PSU is not under warranty. It was purchased is 2010 and, at least according to the newegg site (where I purchased it from), it only has a 5 year warranty.

Is it still worth contacting XFX, to see if I can get a very nice rep to help me out?

3. I'd like to pay nothing, but I don't think anyone is going to give me a free PSU. :P 

I've only built one computer and don't know the best range. I know Linus and others have said to avoid the cheapos but don't need the pricey higher end either. (correct me if I am remembering this incorrectly). 

I do know that my new PSU should be able to not just handle my current system, but if that system is dead, I can put into a replacement system later this year (or possibly next year depending on finances).

39 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

1.a. I'm not familiar with a tier system. What does each tier represent?

1.b. 850w is probably more than I need right now, but I'm not sure.

The problem is that I have another dead component on my computer. It is either the CPU (failing, not dead), motherboard (failing, not dead) OR it is one or both of the GPUs.

This rig was built in 2010 with the first gen i7 and the only upgrade has been an SSD.

My hope is that the only problem is with the GPUs. If that is the case, I was going to upgrade to a single GPU that has 4 ports, to run my 4 displays.

However, if it is another problem, then getting a power supply doesn't help, as I won't be able to afford to build an entire computer. At least not until the end of this coming summer.

Should I link my current components, to see if I can squeeze by with a lower wattage unit?

2. My PSU is not under warranty. It was purchased is 2010 and, at least according to the newegg site (where I purchased it from), it only has a 5 year warranty.

Is it still worth contacting XFX, to see if I can get a very nice rep to help me out?

3. I'd like to pay nothing, but I don't think anyone is going to give me a free PSU. :P 

I've only built one computer and don't know the best range. I know Linus and others have said to avoid the cheapos but don't need the pricey higher end either. (correct me if I am remembering this incorrectly). 

I do know that my new PSU should be able to not just handle my current system, but if that system is dead, I can put into a replacement system later this year (or possibly next year depending on finances).

ad 1 -

Tiers 1-3 = very good

Tiers 4-6 = will do the job, but require careful shopping and verification on www.johnyguru.com

Tier 7 = don't

Throw your configuration to a couple of PSU calculators and see what numbers you get out of them, this will help you determine the required wattage

If you have another PSU on hand (or perhaps a friend that would allow you to borrow his PC), try testing the other components. If the motherboard or CPU are dead it possibly won't even boot. If it's the GPU/s, getting a new one would also lower the required wattage of your system.

If your CPU or motherboard are dead, they yes, a new PSU won't make a difference, but if they're not, you'll have a sort-of-working system until such time you can afford a new one.

ad 2 - I don't think you'll have much luck, but you can try it.

ad 3 - The Corsair CX750M isn't that expensive, also EVGA has good quality power supplies that you don't need to drop a small fortune on.

The power supply is not a component you want to cheap out on, as you might have just learned the hard way yourself.

The HUMBLE Computer:

1. I'll find the power calculator to see if one of my old computers would work. Old Dells and whatnot. I think they are 250w or 350w, so may not work. 

2. Wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. If someone else encourages me, I will, but without, I won't 

3. I didn't think I cheaped out on that power supply. I thought I went all out at the time. Shows that I still have alot to learn with building. So I definitely want a few suggestions to narrow down the list. I know I want modular and good quality.

I think the main thing is to make sure the power supply fits my system.
Here is my system:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601930 Desktop Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

GPUs: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 285 DirectX 10 GV-N285UD-1GH 1GB 512-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125280

As far as what was happening with my computer before the PSU went out; It would turn on but would not boot to windows. The loading screens and setup screens were corrupted. Many letters and numbers were replaced by exclamation points. I tried updating the BIOS but it didnt work. It doesn't have integrated graphics, so I couldn't test it without the GPUs. I thought it was the MOBO and/or CPU going bad (ruled out the ssd) and someone told me when their GPU went out, they had the same ! appearing across the loading screens.

So I need the power supply to test and rule out the GPUs.

Edited to add:

I did two different PSU calculators. These were the results. One of them said I need 1300 W.... unless I'm not understanding that. Help is definitely needed.

The first one didn't have a share link. But its the Cooler Master's calculator and said I'm using just under 600w and should get a 650w. Then they suggest this 750w unit on amazon.

The second was this.
http://outervision.com/b/IrRGFm

I'm fairly sure I can go less than 850w. Especially if I am replacing the two GPUs with a single GPU, GeForce 10 series. I would still like the added window of having more than I need, for further upgrades. Would a 800w or 750w be good or should I go lower to 700w or 650w?

So I found an old computer in storage that had a 400w power unit. I removed it and then realized it didn't have an 8pin or two 6 pins. So I can't use it to test. It was an old delta tech one.

I think I am going to just order one from Amazon. Based on your list, I'm looking at this one here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010HWDOH6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or

https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-220-G2-0850-XR/dp/B00IKDETOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484627012&sr=8-1&keywords=850w+power+supply

The main thing that has me sold is the 10 year warranty. None of the others on your list had that. Of course I only looked at about 1/3 of them. But its in my price range and has the warranty I want. 

What's the difference between the P2 and G2, G3 and GS? They are all close enough in price, with the warranty length I like, so I'm good with spending an extra $10 or $20 depending on features.

Will that power unit work with my case? ie, fit?

Also, how do I use the LTT code or link, to give them a kickback? 

Guys....???

I want to order this tonight. I need the LTT Amazon kickback link.

I also need to know the differences between the PSUs I linked too...