Camera setup

anonvx

Hi, I am putting together a filming setup, this is what I have so far. Let me know if there are better deals than this or any suggestions to this list. This setup is for YouTube channel and my business. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/wishlist.jsp#/946F4A8ECB/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/wishlist.jsp#/B038AD2BE6/

http://a.co/6As518A

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

thats a big downpayment for something you haven't started yet? 

why not get a Adobe CC subscription?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

do you need the camera to be that durable because you can get a better quality camera for the price of a gopro

What are you shooting?

Get a external audio recorder and don't use the mic ports on cameras, they normally suck.

Just get a copy of CC, don't bother with elements.

Id personally get a canon 80d, but im more of a canon guy

Get more small cards.

You don't need a sholder rig for studio stuff.

Id probably not get a gopro, but depends on what your doing

Those led lights will be dimm. Get some softboxes and a few 1000w halogens

4 minutes ago, anonvx said:

snip

The rain cover in your first cart seems misplaced. Is it for the high quality camera in the second cart?

I question the motive on the GoPro. It is a high quality camera, but if you're not going for action shots, I would see if there are cheaper options for the recording/shooting you're aiming for.

The 1000 dollar camera does video and pictures, so I would say just use that for all your video and pictures and ditch the gopro completely. The tripod is a good idea IMO if you're solo.

As said above if you have nothing (You don't have a youtube channel/no subs) idk what you're throwing so much money at this for.

As you say you have a business, is this an upgrade to your current setup? What do you currently have? Perhaps you can keep some old things, and then we can help you pick upgrades?

8 minutes ago, fpo said:

The rain cover in your first cart seems misplaced. Is it for the high quality camera in the second cart?

I question the motive on the GoPro. It is a high quality camera, but if you're not going for action shots, I would see if there are cheaper options for the recording/shooting you're aiming for.

The 1000 dollar camera does video and pictures, so I would say just use that for all your video and pictures and ditch the gopro completely. The tripod is a good idea IMO if you're solo.

As said above if you have nothing (You don't have a youtube channel/no subs) idk what you're throwing so much money at this for.

As you say you have a business, is this an upgrade to your current setup? What do you currently have? Perhaps you can keep some old things, and then we can help you pick upgrades?

well high quality compared to a phone camera sure but you can probably get a 200 dollar camera that has better video quality

It all depends on what you are intending to film etc

not enough information

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

well high quality compared to a phone camera sure but you can probably get a 200 dollar camera that has better video quality

For youtube it's IMO overkill. (For instance LevelCapGaming's airsoft videos on an older model GoPro look as good as youtube gets.)

However I agree. One of the reasons I recommended seeking other options is that some camcorders should be able to deliver higher quality at lower or equivalent price ranges.

19 minutes ago, mok said:

that is a lot of money a month vs a one time fee. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

14 minutes ago, fpo said:

look as good as youtube gets

What????

9 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Its also 10000x better and has way more stuff to it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

43 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

look at that wish list....lol i didnt think budget was an issue

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 hour ago, anonvx said:

YouTube channel and my business

What kind of filming do you plan to do?

1 hour ago, mok said:

Instead of Adobe CC, one can start off with DaVinci Resolve 12.5 free.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

What????

YouTube can only support up to a certain bitrate.

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

YouTube can only support up to a certain bitrate.

Sure, but have you seen some of the amazing cinematography on display on youtube? especially when streaming in 4k bitrates... its pretty stunning even if its only YouTube

not some shakey blurry crappy go pro footage

even then there is go pro hero 4 black and hero 5 footage that looks nicer than his...

49 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

snip

I don't have a 4k monitor so I haven't ever streamed in 4K.

As for shakiness I agree with you in certain instances of intense action.
However with this video and many other I cannot agree.

37 minutes ago, fpo said:

As for shakiness I agree with you in certain instances of intense action.
However with this video and many other I cannot agree.

This video, the primary problem isn't YouTube's bit rate.  The problem begins with the recording bit rate of the GoPro model they used back in 2014 (likely a Hero 3).  YouTube's limited bit rates can be sufficient to produce quality images when the entire process from acquisition to editing to rendering is done correctly.  It won't be IMAX quality and perhaps not even Blu-ray, but it can be made to appear as if the quality is high (relatively speaking).

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Okay, I have a youtube channel. My current setup is a really bad Canon Vixia hf r700. I would rather have a one time payment for video editing. I am on a budget and the rain cover is for the G85, I accidentally split up the lists. I would like to be able to record in 4k even though youtube does not completely support it. I have a business trip in October. I am getting a gopro hero 5 because it does not need a external housing. I currently use Davinci resolve for editing.

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

I also use a rode video mic for the Canon Vixia R700.

Victor F. 

Id get a better tripod for video. That vanguard will only be suitable for a still shot and will not give you any kind of smooth pan and tilt that you see in allot of high quality productions. I would get something like a manfrotto 502ah fluid head and a sturdy set of legs to go along with it. A good fluid head and proper support can make a massive difference.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

18 hours ago, fpo said:

Playing back a 4k video on a 1080p monitor still results in a shaper image, for a start YouTube plays back at a MUCH higher bitrate, and you benefit from supersampling 

21 hours ago, anonvx said:

Okay, I have a youtube channel. My current setup is a really bad Canon Vixia hf r700. I would rather have a one time payment for video editing. I am on a budget and the rain cover is for the G85, I accidentally split up the lists. I would like to be able to record in 4k even though youtube does not completely support it. I have a business trip in October. I am getting a gopro hero 5 because it does not need a external housing. I currently use Davinci resolve for editing.

YouTube is capable of supporting up to 8K, so what do you mean it doesn't completely support 4K?

Still haven't told us anything regarding the kind of filming you do.

15 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

YouTube is capable of supporting up to 8K, so what do you mean it doesn't completely support 4K?

Still haven't told us anything regarding the kind of filming you do.

I meant to say they only support certain bitrates. I do Interviews, Product Reviews, and Builds (computers, woodworking, and metal fabrication.)

Victor F. 

On 1/18/2017 at 3:03 PM, anonvx said:

I meant to say they only support certain bitrates. I do Interviews, Product Reviews, and Builds (computers, woodworking, and metal fabrication.)

OK.

1. The tripod in your wishlist does not have a tripod head I would associate with use for video.
  2. Do you really need the GoPro?
  3. The Brightbox portable product lighting box... save your cash and go to a stationary store, buy some white poster paper or make one yourself out of cardboards and sheets of white paper/cloth.  You can make any size you want.
  4. Raincover... use some plastic shopping bags.
  5. That Neewer shoulder rig.. I suggest holding off on getting it.

In my opinion, this is what you should start out with:

• Your choice of the G85 camera and included kit lens (unless you want something else)
  • Memory cards and spare batteries... makes sense (get Sandisk cards of 64-128GB, a couple of them, don't buy a 256GB card and put everything in one basket)
  • The Rode VideoMic
  • The Saramonic lav kit (I don't have experience with them, can't say how good they are, and obviously better systems are going to cost a lot more)
  • The Neewer 3x lighting kit
  • Choose a different tripod+head system  (perhaps this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842090-REG/magnus_vt_300_video_tripod_w_2_way.html , though something better than this would be more proper and it will indeed cost more)
  • Forget the drone, forget the GoPro, forget the shoulder kit, etc. until later when you are certain they are necessary.

I got rid of the gopro and found a better tripod. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059028-REG/manfrotto_mkcompactacn_bk_compact_action_aluminum_tripod.html I am also getting two 128gb sd cards instead of 1 256gb.

Victor F. 

33 minutes ago, anonvx said:

I got rid of the gopro and found a better tripod. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059028-REG/manfrotto_mkcompactacn_bk_compact_action_aluminum_tripod.html I am also getting two 128gb sd cards instead of 1 256gb.

I don't think you quite get the idea of the type of tripod you need for video.  For video, it is better to get a tripod system with a fluid pan/tilt head and not a photo head.  The pistol grip type of head on that Manfrotto is for photography.