Windows 10 Security 'good against zero days!'

Go to solution Solved by Trik'Stari,
4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

When I read this I scrolled up to make sure this wasn't a necro'd thread... of course, that happened quite a while ago.  If you're not on the latest version, well, if this story doesn't explain why updates exist, I don't know what will ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Running outdated Windows 7 here. No issues to report.

There's this thing, called not clicking on shit you shouldn't ever click on (Like advertisements. Never click them. Just find the amazon page on your own). Really helps. Also checking on something before you download it by seeing if others have downloaded it without problems.

You know, basic computer security rules and best practices. That being said I still run a premium anti-virus program. It's saved my bacon more than a few times over the last 6 years that I've been using this company. But no amount of good security and locked down systems can prevent 100% of the damage that a dumb user can do.

windows-10-anniversary-update-start-screen.jpg

Quote from source

Microsoft's Windows Defender security team tested the Anniversary Update against CVE-2016-7255, a zero-day flaw used by the Fancy Bear hackers targeting US organizations in October, and CVE-2016-7256, which was used against South Korean targets. Both kernel-level exploits resulted in elevation of privileges and were patched in November.

While systems running older versions of Windows would have been compromised, systems on the Anniversary Update would have been protected, according to Microsoft's analysis.

Source

Looks like Microsoft has been doing something right with these rolling updates for Windows 10 that fix multiple things in one go via a system upgrade instead of patching a few things via Windows update.

What do you guys think? Anyone here upgraded to anniversary update or has anyone here disabled Windows update all together?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

So they have been able to stop two zero-day exploits out of the hundreds that are probably out there.  Whoop-de-doo.  Standing ovation.

EDIT: ok, I misread the methods used by these exploits.

Still, if it smells like PR bullshit and it looks like PR bullshit, it probably isn't a pigeon throwing busses at a flying saucer.

What about that one kernel exploit that was usable through the browser to gain access to the kernel, yet it took Microsoft over a week and the bug going public for them to even acknowledge it.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

While this is very cool and nice. This kind of news should be seen as PR, as it is one.

This is like me saying:

GoodBytes is the best mod in the world. He is the winner of 3x GoodByte's Global Mod Awards.

While exciting (at least to me), it has little value in reality.

Now, if it was a third party, trustworthy, well known security group, completely independent, then yea, that some news worthy news.

But that is just my opinion.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

While I view this a good thing a lot of people view updates that they cannot control as a bad thing. 

Security should be priority on any OS and its great that windows is becoming more and more secure.

Easy fix for that. Make security updates mandatory, but feature updates optional.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

8 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Easy fix for that. Make security updates mandatory, but feature updates optional.

But look at the last security update, it broke multi-monitor gaming and look at the shit storm that caused. 

Why I would love security to be mandatory people will still complain about it. 

4 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Then every feature update will be bundled with security updates to make them mandatory anyway. 

I find it interesting, also, that the people who complain the most bought a W10 Home license from wherever, instead of buying a W10 pro license that would enable them to group-policy-edit updates into not even downloading without permission. I haven't bothered to update until they get that multimonitor crap corrected.

The more I see these complaints from enthusiasts the more I wonder why you'd be willing to spend $2k+ on a computer and cripple it by either using the wrong operating system, or by not using the provided configuration tools to make it work exactly as you'd like it to. The automatic update options are still available on W10 Pro unlike those few others that got nixed to Enterprise.

6 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I find it interesting, also, that the people who complain the most bought a W10 Home license from wherever, instead of buying a W10 pro license that would enable them to group-policy-edit updates into not even downloading without permission. I haven't bothered to update until they get that multimonitor crap corrected.

I think your assumption is incorrect they "upgraded" from past windows OS and got the home license as a result unless they already had a pro license or better

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I think your assumption is incorrect they "upgraded" from past windows OS and got the home license as a result unless they already had a pro license or better

True, But still. Pro lets them do everything they want to do, and that's not exactly secret knowledge. The complaining at this point is just getting old.

10 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

True, But still. Pro lets them do everything they want to do, and that's not exactly secret knowledge.

True, but then again in Win7 there was little reason to go beyond Home unless you had more than 16GB of RAM.  You never really needed the Group Police Editor etc because the OS wasn't doing stuff behind your back and you had plenty of control over what it was doing otherwise. 

I only upgraded to Win7 Pro when I noticed that my new PC was only using half of its RAM, I was perfectly happy on Win7 Home Premium before that.  If I had taken the upgrade offer to Win10, I would have been on Win10 Home and cursing like a madman because then I would have needed GPE etc. 

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

True, but then again in Win7 there was little reason to go beyond Home unless you had more than 16GB of RAM.  You never really needed the Group Police Editor etc because the OS wasn't doing stuff behind your back and you had plenty of control over what it was doing otherwise. 

I only upgraded to Win7 Pro when I noticed that my new PC was only using half of its RAM, I was perfectly happy on Win7 Home Premium before that.  If I had taken the upgrade offer to Win10, I would have been on Win10 Home and cursing like a madman because then I would have needed GPE etc. 

And that's where I'm lucky. I gave my old rig with its copy of Windows 7 Home to my friend (they didn't want Windows 10), and used the copy of Windows 7 Pro that my Mum originally bought for one of her second hand laptops which had died (working working working, pop, fizzle, not even the fan starts). I'm also lucky when it comes to working on her laptops because my Mum only buys Windows ** Pro, meaning that I always have full control of the OS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

But look at the last security update, it broke multi-monitor gaming and look at the shit storm that caused. 

Why I would love security to be mandatory people will still complain about it. 

Yeah, that's an issue that they should have found pretty easily and fixed on their own before release. That said, there's no way you're going to make people 100% happy or remove all issues.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

The easy fix is to use an operating system that isn't insecure at a fundamental level or just copy Linux.

Don't make .exe executable until marked as such by the user. Requiring a user to type their password to do any root operations.

Security should never take a back seat usability.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 hours ago, sof006 said:

Quote from source

Microsoft's Windows Defender security team tested the Anniversary Update against CVE-2016-7255, a zero-day flaw used by the Fancy Bear hackers targeting US organizations in October, and CVE-2016-7256, which was used against South Korean targets. Both kernel-level exploits resulted in elevation of privileges and were patched in November.

While systems running older versions of Windows would have been compromised, systems on the Anniversary Update would have been protected, according to Microsoft's analysis.

Source

Looks like Microsoft has been doing something right with these rolling updates for Windows 10 that fix multiple things in one go via a system upgrade instead of patching a few things via Windows update.

What do you guys think? Anyone here upgraded to anniversary update or has anyone here disabled Windows update all together?

A) if they're known CVEs they're no longer zero day exploits... It's defense against Zero day exploits is negligible because Zero Day exploits are specifically those exploits *NOT* known to the vendor. Testing them at this point has no relevance about their usefulness as Zero Days...

B) They're kernel level exploits... The anniversary update has a different kernel... It should surprise exactly no one that the exploit broke due to a change they made in the kernel.

If the change was because they went "hey this can be exploited so we better fix it!" then it says nothing about Zero Days because it's no longer a Zero Day.

If the change was because they tweaked something in such a way the exploit no longer works, it says absolutely jack all about Windows security.

-snip-

Quote from source

-snip-

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

While I view this a good thing a lot of people view updates that they cannot control as a bad thing. 

Security should be priority on any OS and its great that windows is becoming more and more secure.

Same here too. I'm using my Kaspersky Antivirus 1-year license that I got with my Rampage V Edition 10. When that expires, I'll switch back to Defender according to the source.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

With that said, can Microsoft make Windows Updates less obtrusive like that of Apple's macOS? With that said, I guess Microsoft is really doing well in securing their operating system. In the latest AV-Comparatives report from July to November 2016, Windows Defender scored 97% in Real Time Protection.

Screenshot (105).png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

With that said, can Microsoft make Windows Updates less obtrusive like that of Apple's macOS? With that said, I guess Microsoft is really doing well in securing their operating system. In the latest AV-Comparatives report from July to November 2016, Windows Defender scored 97% in Real Time Protection.

Screenshot (105).png

They also have a lot of false positives in their readings though, to be fair. 

Quote from source

Source

im on anniversary and have disabled win updates im tired of it waking my pc even when i have the option disabled so i killed the service.when it tries  it may now only run at 25:00 since 25:00 is invalided it errors out and doesnt do anything

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They also have a lot of false positives in their readings though, to be fair. 

Which is ironic since it's Microsoft's own platform and they're not doing well in ignoring false positives and they don't have the best detection rates. But still 97% in real time protection is a welcome improvement though I'd still prefer Kaspersky or Bitdefender for my parents PC. They're the kind of people who will click on anything.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Which is ironic since it's Microsoft's own platform and they're not doing well in ignoring false positives and they don't have the best detection rates. But still 97% in real time protection is a welcome improvement though I'd still prefer Kaspersky or Bitdefender for my parents PC. They're the kind of people who will click on anything.

Yup. And when for $60 Canadian you can get 2 years of the family pack that allows unlimited PCs... I'll stick with Bitdefender even if it struggles with full Windows 10 support.

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

The easy fix is to use an operating system that isn't insecure at a fundamental level or just copy Linux.

Don't make .exe executable until marked as such by the user. Requiring a user to type their password to do any root operations.

That might fly for power users, that ain't going to fly with the average joe luser.

Also, Linux ain't perfect either.

8 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

What would be better is if we had the option for 'optional updates (drivers, etc)' but security updates were installed on shutdown/startup automatically without permission

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

You mean warning the user when installing applications? Windows already did that. Sort off.

When you download an application using Microsoft Edge, it will scan the app if it's digitally signed by Microsoft. If the app isn't signed, it will show a red warning if you're sure about running the app because it's not commonly downloaded and not digitally signed which could harm your computer.

But then, .exe files isn't the only way to execute malware to a PC. There's the drive by download attack where the malware is embedded on the website and can inject malicious code to the temporary internet folder. The malicious code could just be a cute animated gif but is actually a ransomware in disguise. 

24 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

What would be better is if we had the option for 'optional updates (drivers, etc)' but security updates were installed on shutdown/startup automatically without permission

If there's one thing I wish Microsoft would copy from Apple is the unobtrusiveness of macOS in handling software updates. They can't seem to do that so it makes me think Unix is better than Windows NT.

windows update.PNG